General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Oil filter stuck on and SHREDDED - any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:00 AM
Oil filter stuck on and SHREDDED - any suggestions?

https://i.imgur.com/LwewDiI.jpg ... I think the last owner must have had the entire zoo over to tighten this. Now after using every tool known to man I'm left with these results. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:01 AM
I've also tried to use a screw driver at an angle to try and hammer it out but it's bending the circles i'm using to get leverage on.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:00 AM
welp just bought this tool - https://bogertaviation.com/products/...to-1500-in-lbs

I'll see how it goes.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:42 AM
This gave me a good chuckle this morning.

I just dealt with a cross threaded and over torqued strut mount nut. I feel your pain.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by greasy
welp just bought this tool - https://bogertaviation.com/products/...to-1500-in-lbs

I'll see how it goes.
That tool probably isn't going to help without some changes, since it's for intact oil filters. The issue you'll run up against is that, all you have left is the threaded top, which is past the threaded pipe the tool won't get past.

Maybe it's possible to swap out the bolts that the tool uses with some much longer ones... I'm not sure.

Did you try using some larger pliers on the remaining top part of the filter?

Try going back to the screwdriver in the holes method... but don't use the hammer. A hammer produces high but instantaneous power, which goes into the ripping the sheet metal of the filter than turning the whole thing.

Lift the car a little higher and get a little pipe that fits over the handle of the screwdriver to use as a breaker bar. This should allow you to apply a more consistent torque to it. If possible, use another screwdriver (and pipe) on the other side of the threaded pipe to spread the power around instead of just one or two holes.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
That tool will work.

It's not for intact filters, it's basically made to remove the base of the filter. It's messy but it works

Old 07-16-2018, 07:16 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
interesting tool.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:51 PM
Still impatiently waiting on the tool. Will update ASAP- likely getting it tomorrow... I'm still amazed at how stuck on this thing is. I bent 3 screwdrivers trying to use that technique; and that was the last of my options I exhausted.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
That tool looks like it'll be able to do it. It's smart to use the existing holes like that, but only way to have access is to destroy the filter haha.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
be funny if you were doing a lefty tighty righty loosey.. .. lol

Old 07-18-2018, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
be funny if you were doing a lefty tighty righty loosey.. .. lol

dont worry im not lol

Old 07-19-2018, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
I had to remove a filter like that on my sister in laws Chevy Vega long ago. I used a long punch & a BFH. It was hard to do, but it came off eventually.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Old 07-20-2018, 08:56 AM
Well, thanks to that tool i posted up top it was removed in 5 minutes. And that was taking my sweet time. Before it got to this step I had used, my hands, hands and sandpaper, strap wrench, clamps, and about 3 other techniques until I gave up and went to the screwdrivers. I went through 3 of those until the filter was just destroyed. This tool took it off with relative ease - It was the only thing allowing me enough torque to get it off. I still dont understand how it was so tight on there because it wasn't cross threaded. I also used a hammer and chisel to try and wack it out but it started chipping through the metal on the filter.

It would have been easier to take it to the damn dealer has I known i'd go through this - Anyways if you're in the same situation this tool will likely get you out of it.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Great news! Whew. No doubt that someone installed it using a cheater bar.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Probably installed with a dry o-ring. Then for good measure cranked it on with a cheater bar. Hand tight it goes. Why folks over tighten filters is a wonderment to me???

Old 07-20-2018, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
Probably installed with a dry o-ring. Then for good measure cranked it on with a cheater bar. Hand tight it goes. Why folks over tighten filters is a wonderment to me???
This! And people wonder why I still change my own oil. The other day I was buying oil at the dealer and the parts guy told me, "you know, we can change your oil FOR you for less than you can buy the oil and filter." Sure, as long as I don't care what oil you use, and assuming I don't mind never being able to get the filter off again. Been there, done that.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
i love that youtube video:

"GET IT DONE"

Old 07-21-2018, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
good job, greasy.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
This! And people wonder why I still change my own oil. …..
I was told by a marketing exec of a large oil company that their consumer studies showed that most people who change their own oil do so NOT to save money, but do so because they know the job will be done right.

You're one of those people and me too.

Quick Reply: Oil filter stuck on and SHREDDED - any suggestions?