General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Still no real fix for Earth Dreams engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:58 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, i mean isnt dere service to get all dat cleaned? couple hundred bucks? just get dat done and move on..
its part of owning a car with a DI engine .. da engine type some u car folks wanted.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
How is this work done? I mean when the shop blasts walnut shell fragments around, how do they get them and the waste carbon out? I'm guessing that the Tech rotates the crank to assure that the valves are closed as he works on each set? I worry that bits of shell and carbon might fall into a cylinder.

I'm probably misunderstanding the whole thing …….

[Note: I know our '13 Fit doesn't have a DI engine, but our '17 VW does.]

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 07-22-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
You're right about rotating the crank to work on one cylinder at a time, if the valves are closed there's no worry about crud dropping inside. They block off the other intake ports, and use a vacuum hose to suck up the walnut media as they go.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
Great video that also goes into the Pros and Cons of DI and how it’s the regulations forcing car companies to do these things.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
So what would happen if you disconnected the crankcase breather from the intake and simply vented the crankcase to the atmosphere? Yes, I know it's not "legal", but would that solve the intake valves being contaminated by oil vapor and blow-by gases?

Old 07-24-2018, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
So what would happen if you disconnected the crankcase breather from the intake and simply vented the crankcase to the atmosphere? Yes, I know it's not "legal", but would that solve the intake valves being contaminated by oil vapor and blow-by gases?
Or install a catch can between the PCV valve and the intake manifold.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
I imagine Honda will eventually add port injection to keep the valves clean just as Ford and other manufacturers have done after dealing with sludging issues.

As an aside, you can ignore users by adding them here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/prof...?do=ignorelist

Old 07-24-2018, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jared592
As an aside, you can ignore users by adding them here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/prof...?do=ignorelist
any suggestions on whom I should add to that list?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
any suggestions on whom I should add to that list?
wut? no idea wat ur talkin bout on dat 1 d00d. welcum 2 da internets

Old 07-24-2018, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
When doing the walnut blasting, I assume that the intake manifold is removed, the crank is positioned to close the intake valves at the port to be cleaned (thank you hasdrubal) and the other intake ports valves are taped/sealed off. Then, the Tech blasts away. And so on, until everything is cleaned.

I saw on a forum where an Owner bought his gear at Harbor Freight and did it himself. Quite the DIY job I'd imagine.

VW adds a Cyclone Separator to it's EA888 Gen3 engine (as found in the current Golf series and others) to help remove fine oil from the blow-by air. It isn't perfect, but it's a neat idea and a number of VW owners who've added catch cans haven't caught much of anything. Others argue differently, but the feature does seem to help.

Cyclone Separator in VW EA888 Gen3 DI Gasoline Engine

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 07-24-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:05 AM
5 Year Member
so how much does da said cleaning usually cost? couple hundred, no?

and u only need da service done once wat, 60k miles? who dafak cares, just get it done!!
so many softy pansy arses dis day and age.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolNat
Great video that also goes into the Pros and Cons of DI and how it’s the regulations forcing car companies to do these things. …
Thanks GolNat -- a surprisingly well done video on it all. I didn't know that engines with both direct and port injection were available in North America.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
so how much does da said cleaning usually cost? couple hundred, no? … and u only need da service done once wat, 60k miles? who dafak cares, just get it done!! so many softy pansy arses dis day and age.
I've read that $600+ is the average, but you have a good point as long as the cleaning is done right. Plus, it's not a big deal for me because I'm recently retired and waved my annual 15K Mile commute goodbye.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
thanks alco. yah $600+ i could careless. id just pay it.

its funny how people were pushing for DI engines and now dey complaining.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Why not just do a K swap and be done with it?

Old 07-25-2018, 09:10 PM
i saw something somewhere about the l15a spraying on the back of the valves as they open...
right, it was here ... and within, is found this:

I'm not certain, but are you sure this is an earthdreams problem and not some other circumstance? I'm also having trouble finding where you're getting your maintenance schedules from. According to the maintenance minder, service is variable based on conditions. The owners manual states that you can reset the oil life readout each time you perform an oil change. The air filter is likely best changed every 20k miles. At roughly 37k miles and i've not seen a single blip for any issue.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
Kenchan, curious if you're from Hawaii? One of the guys I work with came from there, and he always types like you.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
The issue of D.I. defeats the purpose of fuel savings . Not very thrilled about buying a car with D.I..

Old 07-26-2018, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
There are still options out there for port injection engines, but as governments continue to require higher fuel economy you're going to see fewer and fewer on the market. The government doesn't care about how much trouble it is for you, and they don't care that the car costs more now. They care that people think they're doing something for the environment, even if it doesn't do anything significant to help the environment.

The good news is that between aiming the injector stream at the intake valves when they're protruding into the chamber, and adding a limited amount of port injection, the auto companies are figuring it out. Even though the Fit engine has some amount of fouling on the valves, it's dramatically less than some of the early DI engines.

Check out this article about a 2007 Audi engine, they say sometimes the carbon gets so bad the valves can't close all the way. The guy who posted a photo of his L15B here looks like maybe 10% of the carbon, so unless you buy a used car that's known to have one of the poorer designs, you should be fine.

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-ha...udi-1691976274

Old 07-26-2018, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
Kenchan, curious if you're from Hawaii? One of the guys I work with came from there, and he always types like you.
huh does he? yah no. im not.

u know, its like someone having an accent and racists here are telling me i should speak a certain way. im like gtfo racist cheeseball, dis is da internets. im just typing away in text conversation style.

anyway reality is its not hondas fault dat u need to clean a DI engine after a while. it’s like u have to wipe ur arse after taking a dump. wat, u going to blame ur mom for dat like everything else? just wipe and move on.

Quick Reply: Still no real fix for Earth Dreams engine