General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Still no real fix for Earth Dreams engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 07:08 PM
Angry Still no real fix for Earth Dreams engine

I hope someone from Honda America reads this because they are still running and hiding from the Earth Dreams DI carbon problem. I just drive too many miles so I was probably one of the very first customers to get screwed on their Earth Dreams experimental engine. Everyone else who bought 2015 and 2016 Earth Dreams engines are now catching up and experiencing what I dealt with back in September of 2016 with my 2015 Fit. Two years later, and Honda America is still not serious about the problem. They still do not have a remedy. Instead Honda is now pushing it off on their customers to pony up the money for a valve job every 30,000 miles. They just changed their maintenance recommendations and selling customers that a valve job is routine, preventative maintenance and it is not. Well designed engines do not need valve jobs every 30,000 miles. Honda America ought to be ashamed of this. This should have been handled years ago. I had to get rid of the 2015 Fit after owning it 23 months and bought a new 2017 H-RV last summer. I took a hit on the trade in, not to mention the cost of the repairs, all because of the engine design problem Honda refuses to figure out. I know about the change they made in the maintenance recommendations because someone I know has a 2016 Civic and that is what owners of these Earth Dreams engines are getting fed by Honda. Anyone else out there experience this?

Last edited by albalake; 07-19-2018 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-19-2018, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
I was gonna just like .... NOT do the valve adjustment and keep driving on it ....

Old 07-19-2018, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
I was gonna just like .... NOT do the valve adjustment and keep driving on it ....

It is more than a valve adjustment. Both times, at 57,000 miles and again at 95,000 miles, the back sides of the valves were coked up with carbon, which requires knocking the carbon off of them. I always ran tier one quality fuel and had a meticulous maintenance history.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
but it's true you could skip and and see how things go.

i would just do it though. or sell the car if you do not really like it otherwise.

there are other engines out there that require similar walnut blasting because they are not, like you pointed out, "well designed." I want to say Mini Cooper but I could be mistaken. This problem somehow escaped notice during testing, I can't imagine how because they put engines on test beds and run them for 200K miles when they design new ones. many newer cars are designed so the fuel spray cleans the back of the valve ..

it is true it's a bit of a rough pill for routine maintenance, but plenty of cars do have irritating "routine maintenance." when we all go electric we'll be bitchin about gas engines with their "terrible need for biannual oil changes" and ten years later about "new battery pack every 10 years can you believe that!?"

Old 07-19-2018, 09:58 PM
This is typical for any direct injected engine.
Any.
Including cars ten times the price of the Fit.
There is little to prevent this, but you can try.
Avoid short trips, run the engine hot, use quality oil and in the meantime... start saving money for intake valve cleaning job that is inevitable.
You can thank strict emission standards for the whole thing.
Life is a never ending string of compromises.
You want 40 miles to the gallon from a motor that is capable of carrying a car full of average sized american citizens at freeway speeds?
Well you have to give up something in the process...
Or you could just hop in your time machine and buy a brand new 1977 VW Rabbit Diesel. That thing did 39.5 mpg IN THE CITY!
Just be aware it had a whole 48 hp.
See what I mean?

Old 07-20-2018, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
You could install an oil catch can for more miles between valve jobs. I think VW does this on their DI motors.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Coming from a Subaru BRZ, I know that the FA20 with Toyota's D4-S direct injection hasn't exhibited any carbon build up.
However, Subaru's in-house DI engines (ie. those of WRXs, Foresters, etc.) have exhibited carbon problems.
It seems that there ARE ways to avoid this issue - but they aren't applied consistently across manufacturers.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:39 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i hope my cars dies soon and scare my wife enough to consider a new car.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
"i hope my car dies soon"

dang .... thug life

Old 07-20-2018, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
yah, been ready to let da thing go for a while but it still runs despite all da problems it has so my wife wants to keep it a tad longer. da mpg is undoubtly good.. so dat, appearance,and cargo space are da only 2-3 selling point for me. i hate everything else about da car.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by daiheadjai
Coming from a Subaru BRZ, I know that the FA20 with Toyota's D4-S direct injection hasn't exhibited any carbon build up.
That's because the BRZ has both direct and port injection.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah, been ready to let da thing go for a while but it still runs despite all da problems it has so my wife wants to keep it a tad longer. da mpg is undoubtly good.. so dat, appearance,and cargo space are da only 2-3 selling point for me. i hate everything else about da car.
Yeah, still running, good MPG, good appearance, good cargo space....
sounds like a nightmare.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Yeah, still running, good MPG, good appearance, good cargo space....
sounds like a nightmare.
yah, u have to remember the GK is taking up valuable parking space. i am limited to only 4 parking spots.. dat is why i am pissed. dere are other cars i want to buy but no place to park.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah, u have to remember the GK is taking up valuable parking space. i am limited to only 4 parking spots.. dat is why i am pissed. dere are other cars i want to buy but no place to park.
Hey dude, when you use creative grammar and spelling like "dat" and "dere", what happens is it makes it much more difficult for others to understand your posts.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bdcheung
Hey dude, when you use creative grammar and spelling like "dat" and "dere", what happens is it makes it much more difficult for others to understand your posts.
"Creative grammar" is one way to put it.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
Some people just aren't up to the task of writing in complete sentences with the complete grown-up spellings of the words. It's not difficult.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
I'm sure he's capable of doing so but chooses not to. Which makes it worse.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bdcheung
wut? welcome to da internets.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

Old 07-22-2018, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
This is a standard issue for direct injection. Super common in BMW, Ford & the like.

But I guess it is all Honda's fault somehow :rollseyes:

Quick Reply: Still no real fix for Earth Dreams engine