General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Pondering purchase - 6MT or CVT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Pondering purchase - 6MT or CVT?

Howdy, I've on this forum since May 2006. I put 93000+ miles on a 2007 5MT (1st gen)- traded it in on a 2013 5MT (2nd gen) which now has 40000+ miles on it. Sorta thinking about a getting a 2019 Fit (3rd gen) with some new bells and whistles/safety stuff and pondering whether to go with a CVT with paddle shifters or a 6MT. Been driving stick since the late 1950s - enjoy the control, engine braking of the MT (not to mention the theft deterrent effect of an MT car). But intrigued about the CVT with paddle shifters. MT cars are really scarce these days. Opinions, comments - pro and con on the choices......

Last edited by baldddguy; 02-11-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baldddguy
Howdy, I've on this forum since May 2006. I put 93000+ miles on a 2007 5MT (1st gen)- traded it in on a 2013 5MT (2nd gen) which now has 40000+ miles on it. Sorta thinking about a getting a 2019 Fit (3rd gen) with some new bells and whistles/safety stuff and pondering whether to go with a CVT with paddle shifters or a 6MT. Been driving stick since the late 1950s - enjoy the control, engine braking of the MT (not to mention the theft deterrent effect of an MT car). But intrigued about the CVT with paddle shifters. MT cars are really scarce these days. Opinions, comments - pro and con on the choices......ONE OTHER question.- on the back of the Fit brochure - it says "Follow or share the Fit experience across the Fit Facebook page....) There are several Fit facebook pages. Which one it THE ONE??
Uh oh, here we go again. Another manual or CVT thread

Just go and test drive one and see if it's something you'd like.

If you do a lot of highway driving, the CVT has lower RPMs at highway speed.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
I owned the GK with 6MT for 3 years and don't regret one bit switching to the CVT model last year. And also... the CVT does engine braking automatically as soon as you let off the gas.... at least mine does... not sure about the 2018's or later models. I have the 2016 ex-l with paddles. Also, you will appreciate the low rpms on the hwy. As for the paddles, I use them rarely... and when I use them it's to overtake on the hwy or when descending long/steep hills.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Pros (cvt) - lower highway rpm, ease of use in traffic, anyone can drive it
cons (cvt) - anyone can drive it, not as engaging, twisty roads not as fun

pros (6MT) - engaging, not everyone can drive it, the feeling you get when you nail a perfect down shift
cons (6MT) - traffic, higher engine rpm on highway, can’t take a day off from shifting

Its really up to what you want from the car and your intentions with it. If it was a DSG auto it would be better.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:51 PM
All CVT ‘s are still problematic, if you do not drive in bumper to bumper city traffic everywhere I would stick with the stick, Hondas are one of the easiest sticks to drive.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JerrySFL
stick with the stick
lol that should be on a T-Shirt

Old 02-13-2019, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
I drove a CVT CR-V last week.
I hated the thing so much I almost wished it had regular automatic transmission...

Go test drive one. I guess they are not too bad since people buy them.

Last edited by carotman; 02-13-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:35 AM
Talking Stick with the stick

I siad it before, friends don’t let friends drive CVT’s .

Old 02-13-2019, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2

As for a test drive. It takes about 15 minutes of driving before the CVT starts to really show off that it can be fun. Fit's warm up much slower than I would have ever expected. With my ScanGauge2, I can keep track of water and CVT temps. Until the CVT is over about 90, it paddle shifts much like an old auto would feel when moving a shift lever or using bump shifting. Once the trans is warmed up, it hits gears without any mushiness. Also I believe the fake gear ratios are very much the same as the 6MT in 1-6, but the paddle shift has a 7th gear. (7th back to full CVT will still drop RPM's even more on the highway.)

Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
I owned the GK with 6MT for 3 years and don't regret one bit switching to the CVT model last year. And also... the CVT does engine braking automatically as soon as you let off the gas.... at least mine does... not sure about the 2018's or later models. I have the 2016 ex-l with paddles. Also, you will appreciate the low rpms on the hwy. As for the paddles, I use them rarely... and when I use them it's to overtake on the hwy or when descending long/steep hills.
Same story... 3 years of 6mt and I never look back. My #1 reason for the CVT in my 2018 EX was the lower RPM, then it turned out I love the paddles.. In my 2015, I spent 3+ years with a 6MT and a majority of my 50,000+ miles were on the high way. I LOVE the lower rpm on the interstate. And if I need more rpm, I can touch the paddle at any time. Oddly, if you re in regular "drive" you can use the paddles, but if you don't shift for a few seconds, it goes right back to regular drive. The only way the car stays in paddle mode is if you are in "sport"

All CVT ‘s are still problematic, if you do not drive in bumper to bumper city traffic everywhere I would stick with the stick, Hondas are one of the easiest sticks to drive.
Might be, but I am yet to hear about issues in a Fit.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Buy a stick!

What did you end up doing anyways?

Old 03-10-2019, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
CVT unless you like shifting.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Buy a stick!

What did you end up doing anyways?

Still waiting to try a 6MT. Really scarce!

Old 05-13-2019, 11:02 AM
I eould go stick lesd to go wronge and cvt trsns aint cheap if they go wronge plus i like smashing though gears do i would go manual haha

Old 05-15-2019, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
Worst thing about a stick is freeway stop & go traffic. There are times I wish I had an automatic, but not the CVT. Just a good old 6 speed auto.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
the MT (not to mention the theft deterrent effect of an MT car).
That's what we used to think -- until last summer, when my wife's 2000 Jeep Cherokee, with a 5-speed stick, got boosted -- right out of our parking lot at home! They didn't get far -- the cops called us a couple of days later to say that they'd ditched it, and it had been towed to a garage. Vandalized -- ignition switch was ripped out, probably with a dent puller, and with no way to turn on the ignition, there was also no easy way to close the windows!

We had it towed home... and they tried to steal it again! It couldn't be strted, of course, but they may have been complete idiots and thought they could push-start it. Failing in this, they just left it in the parking lot, near the entrance.

We ended up junking it -- it had around 260K miles on it and was pretty much used up, but it still ran well!

So a manual gearbox may not have as much deterrent effect as we think! Just one data point, of course. They found out quickly that it's tough being the baddest homey in the 'hood when word gets around that you can't drive a stick.... ha, that Cherokee was a beast to drive, until you got used to it....

Urb

Old 05-16-2019, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by urbie4

So a manual gearbox may not have as much deterrent effect as we think! Just one data point
Here's another data point! My 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R with a 5-speed manual was stolen off a busy street one night - got it back a week later with a torn out interior and a tapping engine!

The first thief to come along may not know how to drive a manual, but the second might!

Old 05-16-2019, 12:28 PM
Still waiting to try a 6MT. Really scarce!
Why not wait for the 2010 redesign?

Old 05-18-2019, 07:58 PM
How does a Continuously Variable Transmission shift? Faux paddle shifters.

CVT is the worst pick. MT being the best and a regular auto being second best.

CVT really stands for Crappy Version of Transmission. Worst reliability and most expensive to repair. BTW, when the chain/metal belt goes kaboom the whole tranny is littered with metal.

That said, a low torque application, like the Fit, is where the CVT does the least amount of harm and Honda's CVTs have been better than average. Still anyone who gets a CVT when they could have gotten a MT does not have a life worth living -- now you know.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FTBT
That said, a low torque application, like the Fit, is where the CVT does the least amount of harm and Honda's CVTs have been better than average. Still anyone who gets a CVT when they could have gotten a MT does not have a life worth living -- now you know.
Try my commute (Lynn to Waltham, MA) for a few days and ask your left knee if it would care to rephrase that....

Urb

Old 07-04-2019, 04:29 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2

always is a debate. very valid point!!

Quick Reply: Pondering purchase - 6MT or CVT?