Saab Test Drive Event

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Retired Moderator
Saab Test Drive Event

Just wondering if anyone else is in the market for a new car in a year or two and is considering Saab or any of it's competitors like BMW. I was just invited to a track day with Saab next week Friday from 1 to 6. Free lunch w00t! He told me that if I knew anyone else who was interested to give him a call. So yeah, if you are in the same boat as me, PM me and I'll give you his contact info. Just a fun day of beating up GM's Euro brand

Old 06-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
How did this event go? Any Saabs catch your attention?
The 9-3 Areo looks like fun

Old 06-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Retired Moderator
This event was excellent! Well run by Saab, had a great time!

I got to drive the 9-3 Aero, 9-3 Convertible, 9-3 SportCombi, and the 9-5. Supplied a good sandwich lunch before we headed out for a drive. Did a small ring road around COP, Old Banff Coach Road, 16th Ave. The 9-7 is basically GM SUV with a new exterior, I was disappointed...but they did make a good point, they gotta start somewhere. 9-5 was comfy, but 9-3 was the sportiest. I pushed the 9-3 and 9-5 to the limit, did a couple of drifts in the slalom in the SportCombi, that was fun! It was a giant brick on the track! Best run was surprisingly in the 9-5 AT. I put it in the manual mode with the shifters on the steering wheel. It was a small course, kept it in 2nd, tires were screeching the whole time, handled the course pretty well. Saab guy told me that was the best run he saw the whole time the event was being held next to the professional driver and shook my hand, made me quite happy haha! Met some nice people including a gentleman from the Calgary Herald who was covering the event. He sat shotgun with me on my 9-5 run and he was freaking out hahahaha! He told me after the run that he had never done anything like that before. It got him loose and I gave him some pointers when it was his turn to make his run. Much slower, not as eventful, but was fun. I think he had a good time; can't wait to see his report on the event!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
wow, sounds like a blast! Probably a lot more fun than camping in the rain/hail/snow/voilent lightning strikes.
You must have a lot of track experience to leave an impression like that! Any idea when the artical is going to come out?
The Saab brand is ok, but I miss the Viggen and the 92X

Old 06-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
wow, sounds like a blast! Probably a lot more fun than camping in the rain/hail/snow/voilent lightning strikes.
You must have a lot of track experience to leave an impression like that! Any idea when the artical is going to come out?
The Saab brand is ok, but I miss the Viggen and the 92X
The article will be coming out on Friday I believe in the Herald, or so he told me. It should be in the Driving section, not sure if that is on Friday or Saturday, but he said Friday.

I have NO track experience whatsoever, except for the BMW test drive thing, so I was quite surprised when they said that to me...quite flattered really

Honestly, as fun as the event was, I don't think I will be buying a Saab anytime soon. However, if you wanna have a shot at winning a free trip to Sweden to see Saab's facilities, go into Saab and go for a test drive in any car to be entered into the draw. 5 couples will be chosen from Canada to make the trip. This is their 60th anniversary celebration thing I think. The Swedish accents were quite funny The professional driver was freakin amazing! took the convertible around with 3 passengers and just blasted through the course! Teased everyone by clipping the pylons on every lap, all stayed in place, just jiggled a little!

Last edited by Illusive; 06-18-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
Just wondering if anyone else is in the market for a new car in a year or two and is considering Saab or any of it's competitors like BMW. I was just invited to a track day with Saab next week Friday from 1 to 6. Free lunch w00t! He told me that if I knew anyone else who was interested to give him a call. So yeah, if you are in the same boat as me, PM me and I'll give you his contact info. Just a fun day of beating up GM's Euro brand
I know it's very late in time but apologize for opening up this thread once again. Just a heads up but saab was almost gone in the market and the auto maker hasn't yet the press that they will in the process of continuing. However, the good news is that there are still saab owners out there and replacement Saab parts are still in the market up to the present. In the upcoming years to come although there were newer models, saab would still be glad to give their service...anyway, are there recalls being conducted for saab?