UBCSCC slush event#7: UBC-SFU autocross challenge

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
UBCSCC slush event#7: UBC-SFU autocross challenge

It's the time of the annual UBC-SFU autocross challenge again!

The event will be held at BC Driving Centre @ Pitt Meadows on Feb.24,2008 (the upcoming Sunday). It's a very fun event that a lot of ppl come out to race and support their school every year. I'm not a UBC/SFU student/alumni myself but I've attended in this UBC-SFU challenge for a few years. And I must say other than the Kumho Super Challenge this is the 2nd best event that brings a lot of fun.

I haven't spectate or participate in any of the autocross event for a good few years due to work schedule. But now I would be able to do it again. I'm still debating if I should race in this event to warm up myself or wait til VCMC's season starts.

Anyone of you wanna come spectate or participate in this event?

It's a very good way to learn how to drive your car to limit & to test out the aftermarket parts that u have installed on your Fit. U don't need to have a killer setup to run fast in autocross events. I would say u have even more advantages with a stock setup coz u will rate higher in PAX time/index time compare with some other guys with modded setup.

U can find out the event info at UBCSCC's website and it provides a lot of info on how to join the scene, how to get to the BC Driving Center etc. Also check out the SCCA solo2 event rulebook in the 2nd link:

UBC Sports Car Club :: View topic - UBCSCC Slush #7: UBC-SFU Challenge on Feb 24, 2008=

http://www.scca.org/documents/Solo%2...lo_Rules_2.pdf

Here's my autocross video from long time ago:
YouTube - Jackie's autocross video

And a Kumho super challenge promo video, u can see what local autocross is like:
YouTube - 2004 VCMC Kumho Super Challenge Promo Video

Old 02-17-2008, 11:52 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Are these events licensed in such a way that our normal insurance would cover our cars? Or does special insurance for the day need to be purchased?

Old 02-18-2008, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
^ im curious as well.

looks interesting. i wouldnt mind coming

Old 02-18-2008, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
Good question smatts!

I really don't think there's special insurance that u can purchase. As far as I know ICBC will NOT cover your car under 99% of the autocross/lapping event out there. However, there is an extremely slim chance that u can damage your car in an autocross event.

All u can hit are cones! So ! For some of your who care about the paint on your bumper/body/side skirts etc. Use masking tape to tape it up so it won't be scratched from hitting cones.

For track day wise, it's not a race event. U simply don't have to risk your life and your car to push the 100% out of yourself & your car. As long as you keep checking your brakes & tires like me and get enough rest between sessions, it's really really hard to get yourself into trouble.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
^ how much is it to go?? i wanna try auto crossing

Old 02-18-2008, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
Check out this link here:

UBC Sports Car Club :: View topic - UBCSCC Slush #7: UBC-SFU Challenge on Feb 24, 2008

Really there's nothing to worry about. One thing u need to pay attention to is if u have any loose objects in your vehicle and if the car is in decent shape. For example u need to clean out all the loose items inside your cockpit, check intake & battery & see if they're loose, brake, clutch, seat belt operation etc. They'll usually shake your wheel while they tech your car & see if there's any loose suspension components or faulty wheel bearing etc....

Old 02-18-2008, 06:00 PM
hey going to autox eh? lol i would go if i didnt have stupid midterms the next day.

theres nth to worry about, as mentioned b4 its practically impossible to hit something to actually damage ur car. ive done it b4...so im pretty sure u can too .
even if u dun wana participate, u can just ask for rides from other ppl. its a great experience ^^

Old 02-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Does anyone have any information on what type of helmet you need and where you can buy one in town?

Old 02-19-2008, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
M2000 and up. Either full face or open face helmets. But I will recommend full face ones. U can get it from Burnaby Kawasaki that's on Edmonds Street in Burnaby/New West border.

Or u can get helmets from Lordco too. As long as those are M2000 or newer specs that will be fine.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
^ will they have helmets there to rent?

Old 02-19-2008, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
Should have loaner helmets there but u need to share with others for sure. Which is not such a nice thing to do in such a big event too! U wanna concentrate a bit when u line up & getting ready to go out instead of running around finding a helmet.

Borrow one from a friend if u can...

Old 02-19-2008, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
whos ever going wanna meet up first by any chance before we go?

Old 02-19-2008, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
I havent been to the new place yet. Too used to going to boundary bay. Where abouts do u live Sumo? I live in Burnaby. And I usually leave home at around 7am. I guess it takes about the 20-30min to go to the new site too.

The earlier we get there the more time we can walk the course.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
I live on Marine and Fraiser. I can meet up with you anytime.. Let me confirm with you later on this week.

Jacky can you add me on msn? sumo.wong@hotmail.com