Time for an oil change, where in Calgary?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Banned
Time for an oil change, where in Calgary?

Hi,

I see I have 30% left on the oil change reminder light. Having never had any service work done in Calgary, where is the best place in your experience to get this small service done? The previous two oil/filter changes were done in Victoria and Regina at Honda dealers. Thinking of going with a non Honda dealer, so I am open to new places.

So, in Calgary what do you do?

If possible, mention if you are using synthetic oil and what brand of oil filter you are using. I'm looking at switching to synthetic, Honda says it is a "waste of money", but others say differently.

Cheers, KK

Old 02-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I usually hit up Speedy over on center up on North Hill. If you go in the morning the wait is not too long and the price is a lot better than most places. I have had at least a dozen changes there, just don't go there after about 9:00am or it gets too busy and takes forever.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:45 PM
I have gotten my oil changes all done at Calgary Honda and it's not too expensive. You also have the added saftey that if they screw something up, they will cover it.

I would either recommend a Honda dealership or just doing it yourself.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:08 PM
If your in Canmore then Honda West is probably the closest. We are priced the same as the shops in our area (minut lube, canadian tire, etc.) but we use the oem oil filter which doesn't have that ripping problem.

But if your not going with the dealer then do it yourself, I've never trusted those young guys underneath my cars... I even do my own I'm so paranoid.

Last edited by JDMish; 02-01-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
What is the going rate for an oil change at CT?

I usually pay 25$ at Speedy. (For the non-Maximizer treatment, if you choose the Maximizer blend it costs more like 35$)

EDIT: I havn't been there in just over a year, my car is only on the second change right now and my first was free from the dealer. I know my Jeep used to take a lot more oil (4.0L I-6 engine) but I think the change is a flat rate there.

lol, I did the Mr. Lube thing once... I just can't bring myself to pay 70$ for a standard oil change ever again!!!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 02-01-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Banned
Plenty of options. I am rather gun shy of the Speedy, Quik-Lube, etc outlets. When I had my BMW, took it in for an oil change and they pulled the filter, tossed it in the garbage, drained the oil and oh yeah decided then tell me they had no filters to fit my BMW. Could I wait until one was delivered? WTF

Again in my 62 VW, the same story. Geez, kinda have me by the gonads, no oil, no filter....yeah I would love to wait around for an hour. What else am I to do? Push my car down the street?

Maybe the dealer is OK. Trouble is I have to listen to the sales guys pissin' up ropes and telling untruths to the unsold on the showroom floor. Saw a sales guy in Regina trying to put an couple in their mid fifties into a 2008 Civic Si. The husband had to be winched out of the drivers seat. Rather funny really.

Thanks guys, any input on synthetic or am I about to flush my cash down the toilet?

Cheers.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Banned
The dealers do have advantages, keep finding myself sitting in an Element or Si....am I that pre-sold? I am. Keeping the Fit though, a blast to drive....geez it really is.

Cheers.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Retired Moderator
LOL if you are worried about that, go hit up Crowfoot Honda...their service facility is across the street from the showroom hahaha...

BTW, you want a BE C-Pillar Bar?!?!

Old 02-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Banned
I sometimes feel like Larry David on Curb, the episode where he decides to sell Toyotas cause he is a "man of the people".

YouTube - Curb Your Enthusiasm- Larry sells cars

I know my Fit sale guy did nothing to earn an commission, I was pre sold, Googled to death on the car and knew more than he about the Fit. I even sold a couple looking at the base model, showed them the magic seats, the perfect simplicity of the dash controls...I was on a roll that fine day. Like Baldwin says in Glengarry Glen Ross...."coffee is for closers!".

See 22 second mark, great flick:

YouTube - Glengarry Glen Ross speech

KK

Old 02-01-2008, 11:00 PM
You should check out Honda West since it's the closest but if you want a seperate service and showroom area I would recommend Calgary Honda (sorry JP )

They have a movie room, a place for the kids to play, a nice computer with internet access, free water and coffee, a tv that usually plays soccer games.

Of course you can still check out an Element or SI , they should have one in the showroom as well.

btw Illusive stop trying to sell that bar to everything that breathes

Old 02-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
- Buy my bar!!

Bah, just go see JDMish at Honda West, he will treat you right!

Old 02-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Retired Moderator
The sooner I can get rid of this bar, the sooner I can get new parts

Old 02-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by kamakurakid
Plenty of options. I am rather gun shy of the Speedy, Quik-Lube, etc outlets. When I had my BMW, took it in for an oil change and they pulled the filter, tossed it in the garbage, drained the oil and oh yeah decided then tell me they had no filters to fit my BMW. Could I wait until one was delivered? WTF

Again in my 62 VW, the same story. Geez, kinda have me by the gonads, no oil, no filter....yeah I would love to wait around for an hour. What else am I to do? Push my car down the street?

Maybe the dealer is OK. Trouble is I have to listen to the sales guys pissin' up ropes and telling untruths to the unsold on the showroom floor. Saw a sales guy in Regina trying to put an couple in their mid fifties into a 2008 Civic Si. The husband had to be winched out of the drivers seat. Rather funny really.

Thanks guys, any input on synthetic or am I about to flush my cash down the toilet?

Cheers.
gneral rule on synthetic is you will get a 1.5% increase in horsepower....superchevy Mar 08

i run in 2 of my cars and the difference was noticable..one 240hp/212 torque, the other 245hp/325 torque...honda had recomended waiting till after 20K for the Fit...so will be switching to syn next oil change...

honda west rules! talk to Majic or that parts dude, mr Fit himself JP, while you wait..knowledgable, and cool they both r.....by the way, i happen to know of a 50+ guy that fits very well in a set of brides/a set of japanese spec recaros/a set of 2008 vw jetta recaros/a set of 1984 indy pace car recaros...haven't u heard? 50 is the new 30! lol

Old 02-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Illusive
The sooner I can get rid of this bar, the sooner I can get new parts
u know illusive, if you bought the right part he first time you would be 2x ahead...........

Old 02-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by davevm
recaros...haven't u heard? 50 is the new 30! lol
I get what you are saying... I never want to be 30 either

Old 02-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by davevm
gneral rule on synthetic is you will get a 1.5% increase in horsepower....superchevy Mar 08

i run in 2 of my cars and the difference was noticable..one 240hp/212 torque, the other 245hp/325 torque...honda had recomended waiting till after 20K for the Fit...so will be switching to syn next oil change...

honda west rules! talk to Majic or that parts dude, mr Fit himself JP, while you wait..knowledgable, and cool they both r.....by the way, i happen to know of a 50+ guy that fits very well in a set of brides/a set of japanese spec recaros/a set of 2008 vw jetta recaros/a set of 1984 indy pace car recaros...haven't u heard? 50 is the new 30! lol
Gee with synthetic I am up what 1.63hp? Hmm, leaving the wife at home might save a few lbs., combined with the new oil I am certain to have a serious ride. Will look at the 20K change over as mentioned.

I am closer to 50 than 30, but the Honda Si dude had girth issues, coupled with what had to be the knees of Bobby Orr (Google #4 kids). Him buying the Si would have been an easier move than being extracted from the beast. The Si has a snug seat, real sweet ones but snug. I would have bought an Si, but I need a four door with hatch. Turning the Fit into an Si in time....oh that and money.

KK

Last edited by kamakurakid; 02-05-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I've always taken my car back to the dealership for my services. At least there, I know I can complain if need be and they'll actually have a record of it!

As for dealerships who want to sell you something while you're waiting, I would just try to sell them something back.

If you want service, I would say Honda West - hands down. If you want the separate service area, yes, go to Calgary Honda. If you want crappy no service, no smiles, no acknowledgement but looking to be ignored, stepped on, sold on, and the "I'm better than you" attitude, go to T&T Honda.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by vlam
I've always taken my car back to the dealership for my services. At least there, I know I can complain if need be and they'll actually have a record of it!

As for dealerships who want to sell you something while you're waiting, I would just try to sell them something back.

If you want service, I would say Honda West - hands down. If you want the separate service area, yes, go to Calgary Honda. If you want crappy no service, no smiles, no acknowledgement but looking to be ignored, stepped on, sold on, and the "I'm better than you" attitude, go to T&T Honda.
couldn't have said it better!!!!!!!!!!! good 4 u

Old 02-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Banned
Honda West or Calgary Honda are on my list, need to get some warranty work done as well. Also, my windshield cleaner jets are off target a bit, result of a car wash or something. Seems the car will blow up if the driver side carpet gets wet, warranty work.

Freaked out a co-worker today while taking him for a drive, told him the gas tank was a mere 4 inches below his butt. He asked if I was aware of a fine Ford product known as the Pinto. I said I was aware, love the Pinto...woodgrain side panels did the trick. Woodgrain on the Fit? Any takers? I will spring for the MacTack.

T&T seem odd, I work in the area sometimes....odd clients as well.

KK

Last edited by kamakurakid; 02-05-2008 at 11:03 PM.