Thinking about going to RCTS... any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Thinking about going to RCTS... any opinions?

Hey guys,

I am thinking of going to RCTS to get my car tuned.. I don't know much about them.. just that they are pretty good.

They actually booked me in for the 7th of November to have my car tuned. I'm increasing the boost to around 9-10psi...

Only problem is... they quoted me quite high... well I don't think the cost per hour is too high, but the amount of time was a little concerning...

It was $220 for the setup, baseline, and first hour. Then an additional $110/hr for tuning. I thought that was reasonable, but I didn't think it was when they said it would take 4-5 hours!

I've already got a 9psi map from Ben at AJ-R so I don't know why it would take so long seeing as they would really only need to play around with those numbers a little bit..

Perhaps they are just quoting me a long time "just in case". But I don't wanna come out of there with a $700 tuning bill! I'd be happy if it was around 400, as long as they do it good and get me the most out of the tuning they do.

What are your thoughts on them?

Old 10-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I have heard good things about them. They do tend to be a bit on the pricey side but it is worth it from what I have heard. I would say got to Ben, but whenever you go to a lower altitude you end up with guestimate tuning to comphensate.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
I have heard good things about them. They do tend to be a bit on the pricey side but it is worth it from what I have heard. I would say got to Ben, but whenever you go to a lower altitude you end up with guestimate tuning to comphensate.
Ya, I would go to Ben, but the cost of driving out to AJ-R, the accomodations, food, and gas costs would probably amount to more than what I'd spend here... plus I'd probably find a ton of things to buy when I'm there too!

Old 10-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
lol, that is always a risk going to AJR I spent an extra 400$ when I went down last time by accident!

Any chance you might be interested in that manifold. I am pretty fed up with it & it is probably more suitable for a FI setip anyway. I will drop 2 bills off what I paid for it for a quick flip.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 10-27-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:14 PM
lol, that is always a risk going to AJR I spent an extra 400$ when I went down last time by accident!

Any chance you might be interested in that manifold. I am pretty fed up with it & it is probably more suitable for a FI setip anyway. I will drop 2 bills off what I paid for it for a quick flip.
What are you wanting for it? PM me to keep it private from the thread..

I'm not sure if I wanna change mine, it probably would help with the FI end of things, but seeing as you are having problems i'm not sure I wanna be the guinea pig with it with my turbo setup. I wonder if anyone on our forum is running it with FI yet..

Old 10-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Don't think they are but I must agree it would probably work better on an FI car a you're moving quite a bit more air.

RCTS is probably the best tuning shop in town and I would not hesitate one second to go through them if I had the cash.

They are expensive and are probably overquoting you to be on the safe side but I would say 5-600 is probably where you will be by the end of it.

Once it's done you will have something that is safe and optimized specially for your car at this altitude.

What time on the 7th? If it's after 5pm let me know and I will be there for "support"

btw not to thread jack but I have a new toy too!

Old 10-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Mr_ET
Don't think they are but I must agree it would probably work better on an FI car a you're moving quite a bit more air.

RCTS is probably the best tuning shop in town and I would not hesitate one second to go through them if I had the cash.

They are expensive and are probably overquoting you to be on the safe side but I would say 5-600 is probably where you will be by the end of it.

Once it's done you will have something that is safe and optimized specially for your car at this altitude.

What time on the 7th? If it's after 5pm let me know and I will be there for "support"

What did u get? finally got that project car you've been after?!

My appointment is at 9am in the morning.. i have the day off, so I planned to take it there for tuning. I'm just waiting on my MBC to come in from the states.. it should be here by then as I ordered it over a week ago already.

Just gotta slap it in, and I'm good to go!

Old 10-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YeeFit
What are you wanting for it? PM me to keep it private from the thread..

I'm not sure if I wanna change mine, it probably would help with the FI end of things, but seeing as you are having problems i'm not sure I wanna be the guinea pig with it with my turbo setup. I wonder if anyone on our forum is running it with FI yet..
lol, yeah I know... being a guinea pig sucks I will send you a PM, I remeber talking to Ben about it and he was saying it looked like a great design for FI but was probably overkill for NA.

I am just getting tired of trying to make it work with my car, unless I mix it with a turbo or supercharger I might as well just pass it along.

Some pics?

Old 10-28-2008, 12:39 AM
lol, yeah I know... being a guinea pig sucks I will send you a PM, I remeber talking to Ben about it and he was saying it looked like a great design for FI but was probably overkill for NA.

I am just getting tired of trying to make it work with my car, unless I mix it with a turbo or supercharger I might as well just pass it along.

Some pics?
you guys should be able to see these pics
Mr_ET's new project car, yes it's still a Honda - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Old 10-28-2008, 12:57 AM

Nice find! I may have some '00 tail lights in my parents garage somewhere.. ditto with a rear valence too... i think its a Xenon rear valence.. If you want them you can have them.. They're just sitting in my parents garage.. I have a 00 Si-R shifter, I don't think there's any diff tho between the model shifters.. I might have the oem leather shift boot too

Next time i'm at my parents I'll take a look to see what I've got... I had a '00 Si-R a while back and I think I have some things kickin around.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Nice find! I may have some '00 tail lights in my parents garage somewhere.. ditto with a rear valence too... i think its a Xenon rear valence.. If you want them you can have them.. They're just sitting in my parents garage.. I have a 00 Si-R shifter, I don't think there's any diff tho between the model shifters.. I might have the oem leather shift boot too

Next time i'm at my parents I'll take a look to see what I've got... I had a '00 Si-R a while back and I think I have some things kickin around.
If you're willing to give me all that stuff I'll take it all man I could really use a shift knob and some good tails

You need anything in return? Let me know if you need some help with that return line.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:41 AM
If you're willing to give me all that stuff I'll take it all man I could really use a shift knob and some good tails

You need anything in return? Let me know if you need some help with that return line.
Ya, you can have whatever I can find. You've helped me out in the past, I think my return line is ok now, but maybe if something comes up in the future like..... my boost controller or engine mounts

I'm gonna try to install them myself with a couple buddies, I think we can handle it tho, but if not

Old 10-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Very nice ET, very nice indeed! That looks like it is going to be a lot of fun!

Old 10-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Ya, you can have whatever I can find. You've helped me out in the past, I think my return line is ok now, but maybe if something comes up in the future like..... my boost controller or engine mounts

I'm gonna try to install them myself with a couple buddies, I think we can handle it tho, but if not
So when are you seeing your folks next?

edit: enough of my thread jack anything else you need to know about RTCS Adam lol?

Old 10-28-2008, 12:57 PM
So when are you seeing your folks next?

edit: enough of my thread jack anything else you need to know about RTCS Adam lol?
Lol.. I'll probably stop by their place sometime this week or this weekend...

I think I'm a go for RCTS on Nov.7th. I just hope my MBC gets here in time. It should be here, last time I checked it was waiting to be cleared by customs in Canada... I'm pretty sure the install is straight forward too.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:19 PM
RCTS has helped me out on a few occasions. Reg is friends with our service manager and he's let me borrow a few tools now and then.

they are expensive but you get what you pay for. i'm sure if any hichups come up they will look after you.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Lol.. I'll probably stop by their place sometime this week or this weekend...

I think I'm a go for RCTS on Nov.7th. I just hope my MBC gets here in time. It should be here, last time I checked it was waiting to be cleared by customs in Canada... I'm pretty sure the install is straight forward too.

Yeah pretty easy to install, you got the turbo kit in I'm not too worried about this :P

Look forward to hearing about what you found from the sir next week

Old 10-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah pretty easy to install, you got the turbo kit in I'm not too worried about this :P

Look forward to hearing about what you found from the sir next week
I stopped by at noon today, I forgot I had a docs appt in that area.

Unfortunately I didn't find much. My parents threw out the rear valence... I found the inner 2 factory tail lights that go on the trunk.. they are smoked tho. I have my oem shift lever from my civic but I don't think its any different than the one you have.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:20 PM
I stopped by at noon today, I forgot I had a docs appt in that area.

Unfortunately I didn't find much. My parents threw out the rear valence... I found the inner 2 factory tail lights that go on the trunk.. they are smoked tho. I have my oem shift lever from my civic but I don't think its any different than the one you have.
Oh, that oem shifter will be a hell of lot better than what he has right now :P

Old 10-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by JDMish
Oh, that oem shifter will be a hell of lot better than what he has right now :P
lol.. why? whats in there now?

Quick Reply: Thinking about going to RCTS... any opinions?