Alberta Insurance sucks ballz - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Alberta Insurance sucks ballz

Old 11-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Alberta Insurance sucks ballz

Does anyone know of a company other than Nordic that will insure a vehicle with an aftermarket turbo?

What do most ppl do when they turbo their cars? I spoke to my brother in-law as he works for AMA, the current insurance company that I am with, and he said that AMA will not insure any cars with performance aftermarket modifications.

I called Meloche Monnex, Allstate and Statefarm and none of them will offer me insurance coverage since my car has an aftermarket turbo

Nordic will insure me, but they are a "high risk" insurance broker who deals with DUIs etc.. I'm not a high risk driver.. never had a speeding ticket, and only 1 accident which was over 9 years ago...

Old 11-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Maybe not tell them? but then you run the risk of getting into an accident and them refusing coverage because of the turbo.

I had my insurance before the turbo and never got around to letting them know. I wonder what all these 240 guys are doing.... because those sr20 swaps are not factory USDM and most of these kids are under 25.....

Old 11-05-2008, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
does having the reciepts of the parts mean anything to them? or simply, aftermarket parts = no coverage?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by JDMish View Post
Maybe not tell them? but then you run the risk of getting into an accident and them refusing coverage because of the turbo.

I had my insurance before the turbo and never got around to letting them know. I wonder what all these 240 guys are doing.... because those sr20 swaps are not factory USDM and most of these kids are under 25.....
It doesn't matter if you have reciepts. They said if you get into an accident and you have a turbo charged engine, supercharger or a motor that isn't the motor that came with the car then they have the right to strip you of your coverage.

That means that in the worst case, if you were to kill someone you could be liable for millions and the insurance company can wipe their hands clean.

This is where Nordic Insurance Company of Canada comes in. But I hate the fact that they usually only deal with high risk, and drunk drivers... pretty much ppl who are considered "uninsurable".

My insurance premium isn't that bad, I was quoted 1650/yr, but I have a totally clean record, and am over 30. I was paying under 1000/yr with AMA.

There has to be a company that specializes in "aftermarket" performance cars... what about all those "hot rodders"? its not just turbo and FI ppl...

Old 11-05-2008, 08:24 PM
I just never told my insurance company and never got into an accident. Your points are all valid but that is the price you pay for wanting to make your car different.

My old civic will only have liability coverage and my guess is if I told allstate I'm going to road race and auto x it they would refuse coverage.

The reality is that unless you're giving an insurance company money to provide you nothing in return it's not worth it on their end and they will do everything they can to rape you in case of an accident.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
1650 a year isnt bad... lol its what im paying for a non-turbo charged fit in vancouver!!! damn i cant wait to move back to edmonton and get cheep insurance again!

Old 11-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Banned
Did you try President's Choice or RBC?

Old 11-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by kamakurakid View Post
Did you try President's Choice or RBC?
Yep... after doing much searching and talking to a few insurance brokers, it looks like Nordic is the only company I can go with.. unless I don't tell the insurance company that I have a turbo and risk it..

Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Mr_ET View Post
I just never told my insurance company and never got into an accident. Your points are all valid but that is the price you pay for wanting to make your car different.

My old civic will only have liability coverage and my guess is if I told allstate I'm going to road race and auto x it they would refuse coverage.

The reality is that unless you're giving an insurance company money to provide you nothing in return it's not worth it on their end and they will do everything they can to rape you in case of an accident.
Using this logic, you might as well just not buy insurance at all. Besides, you have voided your policy by not disclosing a material fact to the insurer. This is what the legal industry calls "nondisclosure".

If something you do to your car increases the risk of loss, the insurer has a right to charge more.

I think the original poster's real problem is that he doesn't want the stigma of dealing with a secondary insurance market. $1,650 doesn't seem to be an atrocious premium (depending on the coverage he is receiving). Even here in Saskatchewan, where we have government automobile insurance, it's costing us about $1,200 a year to insure our '09 Fit with stock engine.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
That is not entirely true, as long as you don't disclose it to them they have a legal responcibility to cover you. If you get in an accident they will cry the blues about how you didn't disclose it and so on, but you can just respond with "well I didn't know I had to disclose it". There is lots of precidence cases for this type of issue, however if they even get a whiff that you have a Turbo they will cancel your policy immediatly.

As an example, if you accidentally even mention a room-mate they seriously freak the f#ck out if they find out and want all of the information about his/her driving history because they become an additional liability.... however if you don't tell them your car and that person should they ever drive it are still covered.

Insurance comapanies are whiney little bitches when it comes to coverage, but if they try to wipe thier hands clean even though you had any kind of insurance through them over a small disclosure thing the law will step in and put them back in line.

If you have any concerns at all I would contact a Lawyer and just verify that the presidence is there should you ever need it.

Be aware that if something ever happens you will go right onto a blacklist for most places though

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 11-11-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
That is not entirely true, as long as you don't disclose it to them they have a legal responcibility to cover you. If you get in an accident they will cry the blues about how you didn't disclose it and so on, but you can just respond with "well I didn't know I had to disclose it". There is lots of precidence cases for this type of issue, however if they even get a whiff that you have a Turbo they will cancel your policy immediatly.
I'm in the insurance business, and I assure you that contract law most certainly does have provisions in precedent pertaining to nondisclosure of material facts. If you know something that would change the mind of the other party to enter into the contract, and you intentionally do not disclose it (or ought to have known better), the contract is voidable at the option of the aggrieved party (in this case, the insurer). I can assure you that there have been plenty of Canadian insurance law cases that have demonstrated this.

To not have such a provision is to invite fraud. Fraud is not in the public's interest. Essentially, your insurance will be subsidized by those people who don't have turbochargers, and that's not fair to them.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
I'm in the insurance business, and I assure you that contract law most certainly does have provisions in precedent pertaining to nondisclosure of material facts. If you know something that would change the mind of the other party to enter into the contract, and you intentionally do not disclose it (or ought to have known better), the contract is voidable at the option of the aggrieved party (in this case, the insurer). I can assure you that there have been plenty of Canadian insurance law cases that have demonstrated this.

To not have such a provision is to invite fraud. Fraud is not in the public's interest. Essentially, your insurance will be subsidized by those people who don't have turbochargers, and that's not fair to them.
In most cases though you will have paid the insurance provider more money than is needed to repair the car so it does not affect others.

I understand what you are saying about fraud but I firmly believe that if insurance companies acted the way they say they will when you sign the contract most people would declare every little thing to them as it would be a fair relationship.

Most people do not fully disclose everything because regardless of mods, history or anything, most insurance companies will rape them in the a$$ if anything was ever to happen to them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.