Bushings for Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Bushings for Sway Bar

Hey,

I'm in a dilema right now and I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I installed the after market sway bar (in the group buy) and now the car is making a bunch of noise. Apparently, the bushings are worn out and I need to replace them but I can't put in the Honda stock ones 'cuz it won't fit. Does anyone know where I can get the bushings that will fit and send me the info? (Link, contact, cost, etc). It sounds awful and I really don't want to have to revert back to the Honda stock sway bar 'cuz this one is really good.

HELP!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:39 PM
The aftermarket ones have failed? I'm wondering if this is a common issue now.
Is there a way to contact ABE and get some new ones?

Last edited by JDMish; 05-01-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't know... how do you go about finding out something like that? I don't even remember when we did the whole group buy for the sway bar thing was... sometime last year or something I think but don't remember. Anyone know how to get a hold of them to get something done?

It sounds like I'm driving a semi or something with no suspension and the car sounds like it's 15 years old!!! It creaks more than an old man!!

Originally Posted by JDMish

Old 05-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Are you sure they failed? Are these urethane bushings? If they are urethane and you didn't lube the shit out of them they'll squeek really by. That or you didn't tighten something enough.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by gd3vbp
Are you sure they failed? Are these urethane bushings? If they are urethane and you didn't lube the shit out of them they'll squeek really by. That or you didn't tighten something enough.

I don't know if they're urethane or not.... JDMish... any thoughts? I didn't install them... I had someone very handy install them at Honda West so not sure what they are or aren't. Could someone shed some light on this? They were well lubricated and it was working fine until about a month ago....

Old 05-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Urathane bushings work great for a period of time and after the grease wears off they start squeaking.

They would need to be greased again to fix the problem. Happens for countless applications once the grease wears off. I usually recommend greasing once a year to make sure you never get the noise.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Mr_ET
Urathane bushings work great for a period of time and after the grease wears off they start squeaking.

They would need to be greased again to fix the problem. Happens for countless applications once the grease wears off. I usually recommend greasing once a year to make sure you never get the noise.
But I was told by Honda in Millwoods (which by the way have the worse customer service) that the bushings are worn out.... it's not just the lubricating issue but the bushings themselves are worn out and it's actually grinding into the sway bar that it's taking the red paint off the bar... is this normal? Has anyone experienced this before? Wilson AutoTech has my car right now (awesome service) and they said they've lubricated the heck out of it so the noise is gone but it's just a temporary fix.

I'm worried as to how long it'll be before the noise comes back and if this will affect the rest of my car (performance, parts, etc). Help me please as I'm very confused about all the tech stuff.... I just like my car and like to drive it.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:39 PM
I remember lubing those bushings up pretty good so i don't think that is an issue. Now I've heard with poly bushings that they need to be lubed often so that might be the issue.

Vivian, the shop that it was at are saying the bushings have failed? have they inspected them or are they just taking an educated guess with the sound that its making? my first thought when you mentioned it before was the bushings but to have a poly bushing fail kind of points to the manufacturing defect.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Oh I remember and trust you... Toby's going to the shop now and going to talk to the tech. I'll know more in about 1/2 hour so will update it here for your reading enjoyment and advise of course!

Old 05-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah mine started to squeak as well really badly, it was driving me nuts but it stopped after I washed the car a couple of times. It was kind of funny because the bushings on my moms car for the control arm failed and it sounded the same, me and ET made fun of how crappy Dodge was... then my car started squeaking like this a week later!

The bushings have a teflon coating, it looks as though some dirt from the snow can get in there and then cause it to squeak.

It took me a couple of washes to get it cleaned out before the squeaking stopped.

Originally Posted by JDMish
You could probably use the ones from T1R or Blox as well, same bar size

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 05-01-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Verdict: Does anyone know the name, manufacturer of the sway bar that was bought in the group buy? The guy at the shop is saying that lubricating it a lot will help but eventually you'll have to replace the bushings. They've inspected it twice so know for sure that it's the bushings and he's lubed it well so the noise is suppose to go away until it dries up again. The tech suggested that I get the manufacturer of the sway bar and info so I can contact them to get a new set of bushings, etc. What's everyone's advise on this?

Old 05-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
BE - Battle Endless

Let me see if I can dig up his e-mail

But give Ben a call at AJR, he might be able to send you some T1R bushings

Old 05-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Here is the info for Kenneth, he was the contact for BE

BattleEndless Performance
11-230 Don Park Rd
Markham ON
L3R2P7
(Woodbine & Denison)
www.battleendless.com <---NEW website UPDATED
Tel:905-489-2020
sales@battleendless.com
msn kenneth@battleendless.com
local fIt's forum www.torontofits.com

Old 05-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Those bushings should NEVER wear out BTW

They have a teflon coating on the inside;

Old 05-01-2009, 05:57 PM
what a nice picture!

and yes, being teflon coated should prevent these bushings from ever failing...

Vivian, try and see if you can get a new set of bushings and then i guess keep reminding to lube it yearly.