Wanna Autocross? Aloha Stadium Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
raton,

You and 08FitSport did great. It takes time to learn how to be comfortable and ready to for a fast and clean time on the fly.

Each month the track changes in direction and in layout. So if you get good at this you can't second guess the next layout which could "fool" you.

Even the best drivers will loose their way or hit a cone or two now and then. You have to make the least errors and put everything together at least for one fast run. We only count one run of the four so you can mess up all you want as long as you can the job done and no one else comes close.

Jan 25 next year is a good date to keep in mind for those that want to practice and get a feel for how it's done. You can have instructors all morning then drive with others or hop along with a top driver. You could even trade rides with another driver.

I've driven my Fit Sport with stock wheels and tires, R compound 205/50-15 and Bridgestone RE-01Rs on 15x7 rims and the RE-01Rs are nearly as fast as the R compound tires and cheaper/longer wearing.

The hot Extreme Summer tire right now is the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec which does come in 195/55-15 for about $86 each.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:37 AM
Yeeeeehaaaaaaa!!!, driving to the event it was storming so much so cars were going 35 to 40 mph on the highway. Got there cones all set up and the guys said the day of the earthquake they still ran. Props to SCCA staff and crew.

MiniFit thanks once again for the coaching and tips walking the coarse over and over and over again. Next time, I going come more energized and walk it even more. I got disoriented one run and drove off the track.

Mr. Raton, Congrats on your runs. Smoked my okole pretty good. Thanks, for all your support and help setting up and getting the fever (race) up there in the hundreds at least. hahaha. till 10/05. WhoooooooooooP!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 08FitSport; 09-02-2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-13-2008, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Don't forget-

Next event is Oct 5.

Pre-reg is done online for "seasoned" veteran drivers, one week before the event beginning about 9 or 10am on Saturday.

All others will need to come in on Sunday 10/5/08 about 730am for walk up registration.

Don't forget to buy $5 fun run cards either online or at registration otherwise you will not be able to drive during the funruns at the end of the day.

Buying a few extra cards isn't a bad idea since they can be used at any event and have some value.

Reason of the cards is the Stadium will not allow exchange of cash at the event so everything has to be handled and paid for ahead of time.

Now get your Fit ready for action!

Old 09-27-2008, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Pre-registration is now open today for next event on Oct 5.

see
SCCA HAWAII REGION SOLO EVENT AGREEMENT PAGE

If you have not driven before you will need to sign up that morning before 8am and don't be late because it is first come first served.

Bring a check, cash is not accepted.

Shoes are required and helmet rated M2000 or later is good but could be rented using an ID card (no charge but limited supply)

Old 10-09-2008, 06:41 AM
5 Year Member
Good fun @ the 10/5 Hawaii SCCA event - Honda Fit

The 20081005 Hawaii SCCA auto-cross event was great fun! 08FitSport (Tom) and I ran our Fits again.

This was a really fast track layout...not as much turns...but enter the big sweeper & straightaway. Very Fun! Here's a video of what it was like: YouTube - 20081005 Hawaii SCCA auto-cross - '08 Honda Fit - 3 runs

Once again, Thanks Brad for your help and support! Way to go Tom! Hope we can get better and climb the ladder.

Still riding on Falken 912s and got all the suspension support I can squeeze into the Fit already...no springs or c/o though. As always...will be working on improving those driving skills.

The next event is on 11/2 and another on 11/16. Good fun! You should check 'em out.

Last edited by raton; 10-11-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
ive never done autocross before, and i've always wanted too, especially with my Fit. I tend to get nervous in competitions, not sure if i would do so well in front of a bunch of people.

im just going to wait until there is that day for novices... but thats a long time!

looks super fun though!

Old 10-10-2008, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kingsize
ive never done autocross before, and i've always wanted too, especially with my Fit. I tend to get nervous in competitions, not sure if i would do so well in front of a bunch of people.

im just going to wait until there is that day for novices... but thats a long time!

looks super fun though!
Howzit kingsize,

Yeah, the Fit is so much fun to drive on the autocross courses. I was really suprised at how well it handled.

I was nervous my 1st time out too. I didn't place any high expectations on myself. I went out there w/ the mindset that I wanted to see how I (and the Fit) would perform...didn't worry about what anyone else did. This helped relieve my anxiety & just focus on myself. After the 1st run...nerves settled...and the rest of the runs were just fun!

Also, it was great to have Brad (MiniFit) as my instructor. He provided really helpful information and was very supportive. Tom (08FitSport) also helped me get ready for the event (setup the car, pick helmet & register). Good to have fellow FitFreaks around for help & support.

The 1/25/08 Test & Tune event should be great for novices. You'll get instruction, instructors, & lots of practice runs. I wish we had this kind of help for our 1st time out.

Laters...

Old 10-11-2008, 03:38 PM
This sounds awesome. Is the next event on the 2nd? Does it cost anything just to go watch? I'm also glad to see some Hawaii people on the Fit Freak Forum!

Last edited by throwinafit808; 10-11-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by throwinafit808
This sounds awesome. Is the next event on the 2nd? Does it cost anything just to go watch? I'm also glad to see some Hawaii people on the Fit Freak Forum!
Hey throwinafit,

Yeah, there's actually two upcoming events...the next is on 11/2...and another on 11/16.

It's just $1 per person stadium entrance fee and no charge to watch. There's tons of parking by the entrance/gate to the SCCA event. Just check w/ the folks by the gate and go right in. Heats 1 & 2 normally start @ 9 am-ish; Heats 3 & 4 start @ 12 pm-ish.

It's been great fun and really good to be able to really push the car and me once a month or so.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, Nov 2nd and Nov 16 are the next two events and they are free to attend and watch.

Want a closer look? Each of us can bring in a person or two as pit crew but you need to let us know so we can sign you in. This allows you to wear a different wrist band that gives you access to the areas closer to the cars.
You can move freely from the Pit to the observation areas open to the public on the far end of the course. You don't need to arrive at a particular time to be let in as pit crew. You do need to say who you are with.

As for Hawaii people- this whole community forum is for Hawaii so- Aloha and welcome. Glad to know you are interested.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member

looks super fun though!
No need to wait. Jump in and drive. There are some novice drivers at each event and they can get instruction for their runs (only at the first event).
There is a group that walks the course with a detailed discussion about what to do and look out for when driving and when working as a course worker.

Nothing need be done to your car to make it ready to go other than remove all things inside that are not securely bolted down. This would include all personal items and all mats, tools, spare tire etc (saves some weight).

You can rent a helmet or buy one that is Snell rated M2000 or later.
SA 2000 or later is also OK. Any helmet that doesn't have a sticker with this on it will not be acceptible for SCCA events. Many basic helmets are not rated and older helmets may be rated before the year 2000.

As for getting nervous? There isn't anything to be nervous about. We have over 110 drivers at each event and nobody is expecting a novice driver to know what to do the first time out. There isn't beginner's luck, it's based on skill and guts so get out and GO.

No speed limit. Go as fast as you want to dare. It's not a big deal to make an error. You get an instructor to assist for any or all of your four runs as a novice. Each run is about 45 seconds or faster for beginners and under 30 seconds for the faster cars. Top speed is designed to be about 55 mph in second gear for the fastest cars.

Safety is key and we plan events that are without extra excitement.

Do bring sunblock, hat, water, etc if you plan to be out longer than 3 hours. We are there from 7am to 4pm or longer.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Cool thanks for the info I will be there on the 2nd!

Old 10-11-2008, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Cool thanks for the info I will be there on the 2nd!
As a driver? Come to the lower Aloha Stadium parking lot about 730am to do walk up registration and expect to drive after lunch in heat 3 or 4.

As a spectator? Anytime is fine and contact us when you arrive. If you want to ride along at the end of the day about 3pm or later just bring some closed toe shoes.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:59 PM
I'll be there as a spectator not ready to drive yet lol

Old 10-12-2008, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
nice video raton

did you change it? i remember it being only one run.. anyways, looks good!

i kinda laughed at the wiper part, i tend to do that too

Old 10-12-2008, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
nice video raton

did you change it? i remember it being only one run.. anyways, looks good!

i kinda laughed at the wiper part, i tend to do that too
Thanks kingsize. Yeah, I changed it. I figured showing all 3 runs would better show what things were like.

hahaha....yeah, real smooth. I think I lost maybe 1/2 sec turning the wipers off!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Fit Sports in action at last event-----

Old 10-23-2008, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member
i was lurking on the SCCA section of ForumsHawaii and there was a link to video's from the OCT 5th event.

YouTube - Steve40th's Videos

on the bottom of the second page is Raton's run

i had a question too.... where do i register for the Test n Tune event?

Old 10-23-2008, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
i was lurking on the SCCA section of ForumsHawaii and there was a link to video's from the OCT 5th event.

If you are a new driver. You need closed toe shoes, you can rent a helmet for free. You can buy your own M2005 or M2000 rated helmet.

You need to come to the lower Stadium parking lot before 8am to sign in then go to the registration table and pay the SCCA fee for weekend license which can be applied to an annual membership later. And you can pay for registration for the event and $5 fun run card for driving practice runs at the end of the day.

Registration is first come first served up to 30 walk up drivers per day/event. Don't come late the registration will close at 830am

For more info see SCCAhawaii.org

Old 10-23-2008, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member

Wow! Great find! Thanks kingsize!

haha...that's the run where I hit the rev-limiter! There are also videos of the leaders in our STS class--including the winner, a Mazda6 wagon. It'll be interesting to compare their driving lines & what-nots. You can see Tom staging his SSM Fit right behind me too.

It's interesting....the leaders took a much tighter turn @ the hair-pin. hmmm. ?? intahresting stuff.

Yeah, and MiniFit has been our SCCA sensei for these events. Listen to him. Much mahalos!

Last edited by raton; 10-23-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Wanna Autocross? Aloha Stadium Hawaii