Honda Fit Dealer Reviews Here is your chance to vent bad experiences with your local dealer or praise them for exceptional service! Please include the Dealer name, City, State and Country in the Title of your post. Help fellow FitFreaks find good dealers and avoid bad ones.

Crown Honda, Greensboro, NC (and Durham, NC)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Crown Honda, Greensboro, NC (and Durham, NC)

Hi,

Just a heads-up about Crown Honda in Greensboro, NC and their sister dealership owned by the same group in Durham, NC - following the same practices.

I won't get into all the details...I will just hit the highlights and let you know what you need to watch out for when dealing with these dealerships. I purchased one vehicle in Greensboro and my parents have purchased two vehicles in Durham.

1. Black Book trade valuations - Crown uses black book for their trade valuations and then will try to undercut those when you go in. Black book in generally is the absolute lowest valuation for trades. I traded two pristine vehicles (one low-miles sedan and one garaged, sports-convertible) and had to literally haggle for 1.5 hours to even begin to get a fair trade valuation for the two. They were shocked when they found out that their own valuation website was spitting out 'low-side' numbers higher than what they were offering. What's aggravating is that I could have done 'much' better at other dealerships.

2. Don't give them your keys. They will NOT drive your trade. They will simply take a mileage reading off your car and do a walk around. Your sales adviser will do this and hand the keys and paper work over to another person. It will then be next to impossible to get your keys back after that. GO WITH THE SALES ADVISER TO GET INFORMATION OFF YOUR CAR. This is a trick to hold you and pressure you into purchasing a vehicle.

3. At the time I purchased my car, they were ADDING 'First Place Finish' to ALL vehicles as they came off the truck at a cost of $600 per vehicle. The only way around this was to order a ORDER a vehicle that came off a truck. Both Greensboro and Durham dealerships were doing this. Not sure if this is still customary. The same was true with Nitrogen filled tires.

4. Check your bill of sales THOROUGHLY. I didn't notice until I traded my vehicle that they had CHARGED ME for items that WERE NOT part of my auto sale. I paid for a VERY EXPENSIVE cargo net and wheel lock (for which I didn't get a key).

5. Their extended warranty policy is nuts in price...and there is deductible...not matter where you take the car (it's not honda care).

Looking back, I'm not at all happy with the way things happened with Crown Honda and if I had it to do again, would NOT have done business with them. I have since traded my vehicle with another Honda dealership. As well, my parents are no longer Honda owners.

If you have time and can travel 25 miles, check out Flow Honda in Winston-Salem. The buying experience there is a complete 180 degree difference.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by dwhopson
Hi,

Just a heads-up about Crown Honda in Greensboro, NC and their sister dealership owned by the same group in Durham, NC - following the same practices.

I won't get into all the details...I will just hit the highlights and let you know what you need to watch out for when dealing with these dealerships. I purchased one vehicle in Greensboro and my parents have purchased two vehicles in Durham.

1. Black Book trade valuations - Crown uses black book for their trade valuations and then will try to undercut those when you go in. Black book in generally is the absolute lowest valuation for trades. I traded two pristine vehicles (one low-miles sedan and one garaged, sports-convertible) and had to literally haggle for 1.5 hours to even begin to get a fair trade valuation for the two. They were shocked when they found out that their own valuation website was spitting out 'low-side' numbers higher than what they were offering. What's aggravating is that I could have done 'much' better at other dealerships.

2. Don't give them your keys. They will NOT drive your trade. They will simply take a mileage reading off your car and do a walk around. Your sales adviser will do this and hand the keys and paper work over to another person. It will then be next to impossible to get your keys back after that. GO WITH THE SALES ADVISER TO GET INFORMATION OFF YOUR CAR. This is a trick to hold you and pressure you into purchasing a vehicle.

3. At the time I purchased my car, they were ADDING 'First Place Finish' to ALL vehicles as they came off the truck at a cost of $600 per vehicle. The only way around this was to order a ORDER a vehicle that came off a truck. Both Greensboro and Durham dealerships were doing this. Not sure if this is still customary. The same was true with Nitrogen filled tires.

4. Check your bill of sales THOROUGHLY. I didn't notice until I traded my vehicle that they had CHARGED ME for items that WERE NOT part of my auto sale. I paid for a VERY EXPENSIVE cargo net and wheel lock (for which I didn't get a key).

5. Their extended warranty policy is nuts in price...and there is deductible...not matter where you take the car (it's not honda care).

Looking back, I'm not at all happy with the way things happened with Crown Honda and if I had it to do again, would NOT have done business with them. I have since traded my vehicle with another Honda dealership. As well, my parents are no longer Honda owners.

If you have time and can travel 25 miles, check out Flow Honda in Winston-Salem. The buying experience there is a complete 180 degree difference.
I enjoyed your post. Let me back you up with this short note.
Don't buy a car from Crown Honda in Greensboro. I had a terrible experience at this dealership. The finance sales manger there, Jim Moebius, called their own performance idiotic. I did not buy my Honda Fit from this dealer. Beware of all the dealerships owned by Asbury Automotive Group.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:27 PM
O WOW, thanks guys I live in Greensboro. Was thinking of going to Crown :/

Old 11-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Avoid Crown Honda

Originally Posted by flotownj
O WOW, thanks guys I live in Greensboro. Was thinking of going to Crown :/
You have several good, honest dealerships in the area to choose from. A purchase from Crown Honda will ultimately cost you more money. Go visit for yourself and choose wisely. Enjoy your car search.