Honda Fit Dealer Reviews Here is your chance to vent bad experiences with your local dealer or praise them for exceptional service! Please include the Dealer name, City, State and Country in the Title of your post. Help fellow FitFreaks find good dealers and avoid bad ones.

Fit in high demand. Need tips with dealing with the dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Fit in high demand. Need tips with dealing with the dealer.

Hi everyone,

Im new to these forums and to car buying in general. This is going to be the first time buying a new car...and i couldnt be happier with what i picked. I've been reading alot about the fit and just get excited when i see the pictures you guys post. But im in a delema right now...these darn cars are hard to get because everyone wants them.

So this after noon i called two local dealers. Honda of Carson and Santa Monica Honda (california) and they both said that the Fit Spots would be coming in in 2 weeks. But they also told me that people have been calling them every single day about them. That got me very worried because i really want this car but both dealers are getting only 6. So i have a 1 in 12 chance in getting the one i want and being without a car for that long i might just crack and get a xA.

Sooo my question is are there any signs i have to watch for to get the best deal possible and is there anything i can do to help the dealer keep focus on me and not the other potential buyers who are willing to go the extra mile (and $$$) to get one?

Thanks again

Last edited by MonkeyPckl; 08-09-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:09 AM
My recommendation would be to go through either the Costco or the Sam's Club auto buying program, even if it means paying for a membership. In my experience, it's the best way to get a good deal on a car in short supply.

Don't make a bigger down payment than you are willing to walk away from.

Insist with the salesperson, the sales manager and the business manager that no dealer pack items be added to the car (paint sealant, fabric protectant, pin striping, etc., etc.).

Old 08-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Some additional thoughts

Never go into a car dealer with the attitude "I want this car and I'll do anything to get it". If you do, the dealer is very likely to take advantage of you. Instead, take the attitude "If I can reach a reasonable and satisfactory deal today with this dealer, then I'll sign". There are always other dealers and other days.

Play hard to get. Before going to negotiate on a Honda Fit, test drive a Nissan Versa or whatever is your second choice. Learn the advantages that the Versa has over the Fit (more room, cushier materials, nicer options, etc.). Bring up these advantages during your Honda Fit negotiations. Make it sound like you could go either way on which car you will buy. The idea is to make the salesperson sell you on the Fit. He is much more likely to give you a good deal and feel good about it if he has to win you over.

Don't burn your bridges. Be firm but polite. Try not to antagonize anyone at the dealership. Remember that you may be returning in the future to try again.

If you'll need a car loan, you may want to get it through Sam's Club or Costco. They have good financing rates.

Last edited by BargainSeeker; 08-10-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
If it were me, here is what I would do. (... and did do!)

1. Get a list of what they have coming in at each dealer. (My dealer had red and blue sport AT coming in.)
2. Make a list of your preferences. (I wanted red.)
3. Contact the dealer, find out what their selling price is. (My dealer agreed to sell at MSRP.)
4. If they offer you what you want at MSRP, put a deposit down, and get the deal in writing. (I did mine over e-mail with my dealer, and got them to throw in floor mats,wheel locks, and a locking gas cap.)
5. Agree on financing options, and get it in writing, too. (We agreed on a down payment, and a payment of under $300/month. The rates actually went up a touch, and so they had to take an additional $42 off the price to meet the agreed payment.)

Wait for it to come in.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:47 PM
It has been very tough for us to get one as well. Even people who offered to help me on this board have left me hanging. We are still looking for one too.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:58 PM
My advice. Dont play games. Determine the color you want, have a back up color. See what the dealer is asking, you are in Cali, so I dont know if they are asking over MSRP or not. If they are dont pay it. Go to another dealer and do the same thing. I can tell you that I dont really care how much you know about the competition or how much you try to put the Fit down. I know it is a great car, heck I bought one. If you want it you will buy it, if not someone else will. Just dont pay over MSRP for it.
Neal

Old 08-10-2006, 02:48 PM
The Honda website has a nice tool that will list all the dealers within X miles of your zip code. Use that and just start making phone calls. Don't commit to something until you've called everyone. You never know when you'll get lucky and talk to a salescritter who's just had someone back out on something on their lot. I went through two rounds of phone calls and found out that if I'd called a few more on the first round, they would have had the exact car I wanted sitting on their lot. But I'd missed it.

It doesn't pay to be insanely choosy, but don't take something you don't want. I actually found a white on a lot and could have driven away with it last week, but I didn't want white. Really, it's SO hard to turn down something, or it was for me, even when white was my least preferred color it was so tempting, but don't settle for something you don't want. It's a honda, you're going to have it for a long time

Old 08-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Thank you all for helping me with this issue. Im taking all your tips into consideration. Now the only thing left for me to do is wait till they come in. But man my palms get sweaty just thinking about driving away in that sexy car. Ugh being without a car for 2 week (and two more weeks) is insane. But again...thanks for all your kinda replys and hopfully everything will go smoothly.

Old 08-11-2006, 05:23 PM
I purchased a fit from the dealer about two weeks ago and I'm still waiting for delivery. I was told two more weeks. I signed the papers to purchase and requested a loaner car until my fit arrives. See if a dealer near you will do the same.