NJ Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 03:10 PM
NJ Tinting

Hey everybody, I just got my new fit last week. Now I'm thinking about getting the windows tinted to help keep the car cooler when it's out in the sun. So i know that getting the front windows tinted is illegal. And I know that there are other threads in different sections, but I want to know about NJ specifically.

So how many ppl here have tint and have you had problems with cops about it? What about inspection? And what percentage tint did you have?

I'm thinking about leaving the windshield clear, doing 50% on the fronts, 35% rears, and 5% back.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dnguyen826
Hey everybody, I just got my new fit last week. Now I'm thinking about getting the windows tinted to help keep the car cooler when it's out in the sun. So i know that getting the front windows tinted is illegal. And I know that there are other threads in different sections, but I want to know about NJ specifically.

So how many ppl here have tint and have you had problems with cops about it? What about inspection? And what percentage tint did you have?

I'm thinking about leaving the windshield clear, doing 50% on the fronts, 35% rears, and 5% back.
Welcome to Fitfreak.net. Also, I invite you to join the NEFC (NorthEast Fit Clue), hopefully see you at our next meet!!

Go back to your question!! Tint diff. get a problems with the cops, but it depends how dark that you tint. For the inspection that's not related so don't worry about, inspection will not inspect the % of tint.

I think your set up is ok except the 5% rear, I suggest you get 35% at the back also. It is petty dark for 35%.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:27 PM
actually since your from jersey i had all my windows tinted except for the front windshield of course and i got pulled over and i only had 25% done..so idk my friend i suggest you tint all windows except front 2 winows...by the way get the little small ones tinted the car looks better

Old 07-21-2008, 04:45 PM
man I'm gonna have to have my tint redone when I move back to Jersey next year lol maybe I should stay in Florida where we don't need front plates and can have darkass tint and streetglow...but I miss home. I am torn lol

Old 07-22-2008, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
Its been a few years for me, but SOME tint is permissible and legal on the front-side windows. Just make sure it is noticeably lighter than the rear-sides and back.

Contact the MVC for the exact specs (I remember a comparison card that the inspection stations had).

BTW anyone else notice that many cop-cars have dark tint on the front-side windows????? NOT FAIR!

Old 07-26-2008, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Its been a few years for me, but SOME tint is permissible and legal on the front-side windows. Just make sure it is noticeably lighter than the rear-sides and back.

Contact the MVC for the exact specs (I remember a comparison card that the inspection stations had).

BTW anyone else notice that many cop-cars have dark tint on the front-side windows????? NOT FAIR!

It's not legal to have any tint on the fronts or windshield.

Of course, there's a difference between the law and the enforcement of the law. I've have 50% on the Fit for almost 2 years and never had a problem.... going to go down to 35% soon and see how it goes.

From past experience, cops don't start busting chops until you hit 20%. But it all depends on the mood of whoever pulls you over.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:33 AM
let me clear up some confusion, I'm a cop here in WONDERFUL nj...ha. as joe D said, nothing on the front 2 windows is allowed by law. anything behind that do what you wish.

sy11580, you are incorrect. you WILL fail for tint on the front two windows. Although, if you are purchasing your fit new, or did, you wil receive a 4 year inspection, which means you do not have to worry about taking the car through the inspection station until 2012.
personally, I'm no hypocrite- I dont bust chops for tint, I will not stop a car for tint alone- if you are doing something so stupid, and have tint, I might issue you for tint instead of the original violation, as a way of trying to cut you a break. I know a real good shop in PA, its only about 15 minutes from the burlington bristol bridge and if you tell them I sent you they should give you a pretty good discount. if you are interested PM me, they do great work, its fast and I have never had a problem- this is the third car they have tinted for me. shoot me a PM!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2

police officers and police vehicles, when on duty are exempt from motor vehicle laws, usually the cars that are tinted are either for dangerous criminal transports, or officers vehicles that are undercover, and protecting their identity is a life or death situation, which I believe IS fair.