Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Want to save the environment? Subsidize e-bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 12:33 PM
Want to save the environment? Subsidize e-bikes

Want to Save the Environment? Subsidize E-Bikes.

When it comes to CO2 emission reduction, it’s no contest between e-bikes and electric cars

Hey, not sure if you’ve heard, but here on planet Earth we’re in the midst of a climate crisis. In fact, the UN warns that we’ve got only 11 years left to prevent “irreparable damage to our planet.”

OutSide - continues

Old 07-18-2019, 07:43 PM
I am a fan of e-bikes because it gets more bicycles out on the road, in view of the public. This, hopefully, makes drivers more cautious of when, where, and how they make passes when we are all sharing the road.

Even if someone were to foot the bill for part of the purchase price, I would likely still go with an "analog" bicycle (as the article refers to them) because I enjoy the workout and the body has not given up yet.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
This, hopefully, makes drivers more cautious of when, where, and how they make passes when we are all sharing the road.
It goes both ways.

I'd rather not repeat coming to a screeching halt and stalling out my car when trying to avoid turning a bicyclist into pancake, because they didn't want to stop for a red light.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
I am a fan of e-bikes because it gets more bicycles out on the road, in view of the public. This, hopefully, makes drivers more cautious of when, where, and how they make passes when we are all sharing the road.

Even if someone were to foot the bill for part of the purchase price, I would likely still go with an "analog" bicycle (as the article refers to them) because I enjoy the workout and the body has not given up yet.
Yeah "get more people out on the road" has been rally cry for quite some time from all proponent of the bike scene. The problem with that is there's more than likely going to be some skin lost from the current drivers on the road. Got to be awful for the mothers out there and I guess some fathers. When I was a little tiger it seemed there a little easier. Feel sorry for riders today. The cellphone is really making the roads worst for basically everyone from pedestrians to other drivers.

Getting to your post, sorry :-)

The e-bikes really bring many more people on the road on 2 wheels. Users can see that with basically no physical effort, they can make that "almost 60 percent of car trips in the U.S. are six miles or less" rather conveniently and quicker than with 4 wheels. What determine that choice on an e-bike is how safe it is, not if they got the desire.

I got an e-bike when they first were out and to the public. Basically it would be equivalent to a classic 70s Civic with that e-bike of mine. I just put some nice tires on it, it did come in real handy as I was about 2 miles from downtown Long Beach. I topped out at 18 mph, range of bout 10 miles, and it did weigh about 50 pounds. Thing I didn't like about it at the time was that it made me lazy, LOL

Old 07-25-2019, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
It goes both ways.

I'd rather not repeat coming to a screeching halt and stalling out my car when trying to avoid turning a bicyclist into pancake, because they didn't want to stop for a red light.
Agreed. I did not mean that all cyclists are saints and never bend/break rules.

Originally Posted by User1
Yeah "get more people out on the road" has been rally cry for quite some time from all proponent of the bike scene. The problem with that is there's more than likely going to be some skin lost from the current drivers on the road. Got to be awful for the mothers out there and I guess some fathers. When I was a little tiger it seemed there a little easier. Feel sorry for riders today. The cellphone is really making the roads worst for basically everyone from pedestrians to other drivers.

Getting to your post, sorry :-)

The e-bikes really bring many more people on the road on 2 wheels. Users can see that with basically no physical effort, they can make that "almost 60 percent of car trips in the U.S. are six miles or less" rather conveniently and quicker than with 4 wheels. What determine that choice on an e-bike is how safe it is, not if they got the desire.

I got an e-bike when they first were out and to the public. Basically it would be equivalent to a classic 70s Civic with that e-bike of mine. I just put some nice tires on it, it did come in real handy as I was about 2 miles from downtown Long Beach. I topped out at 18 mph, range of bout 10 miles, and it did weigh about 50 pounds. Thing I didn't like about it at the time was that it made me lazy, LOL
We took a trip to Chicago over the weekend, just the missus and I, and was amazed at how easy it was to get around the downtown area. Museums, restaurants, other tourist traps were all easily within walking distance (less than two miles). Anything outside of that range, the train system covers. I thought if only LA were like this.

The cellphone really has made it worse for everyone who is on the road, or even on the sidewalks. People are just more focused on something other than driving/riding/walking. I used to ride my bike to my grandma's house, about five miles away, as a kid. I would never let my kids do that now.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
I know very little about e-bikes, but I recently watched a local news programs report on them. They were presented as being primarily a bicycle with a electric motor assist that can be employed to ease the strain on steeper upward inclines or anytime the rider might want to pedal easier.

They seemed like a neat idea. Of course the supporters of e-Bikes were enjoying them immensely within the report.

But my questions are, Who is the biggest manufacturer? Can I buy one from a manufacturer that I could depend on being in business long enough to provide replacement parts over the passage of time? .....which leads me to...

What is the durability of the electric motor? Have they been around long enough to return some idea of this? How would this motor do in environments that have a lot of rain? How durable overall is this system, or is this a "nice weather" only option?

Part of the reason we still have "Standard" bicycles in mass operation in the year 2019, is that they are really amazing machines. Durable and efficient
I guess part of me says, stay in shape, or get in shape, and just embrace the "non-assisted" reality of tires, chain and gear, being powered exclusively by yourself. Even if you do break a sweat, there's something rewarding about reaching a crest of a hill, on only the bicycle and your own efforts.

That being said?
A lot of Americans are out of shape. I have to think that if e-Bicycles get any percentage of people that would otherwise NOT be on a bicycle at all, on a bicycle that's a good thing. I just think I have more "respect" for the classic bicycle.

Old 07-27-2019, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
If your goal is fitness, then of course e-bikes/moped or any assistance would look less favorable. But, I would say the target is more for commuters than those thinking about fitness.

Living AND working in Downtown Chicago or most of NYC is where an e-bike make far more sense than a car. Distances that take just a little too long to walk, but are too crowded for cars. Areas that also might not have parking or its very pricey. Where unassisted biking might cause you to need a 2nd shower before walking into the office (ie, consuming even more time).

Its a matter of POV.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
I know very little about e-bikes, but I recently watched a local news programs report on them. They were presented as being primarily a bicycle with a electric motor assist that can be employed to ease the strain on steeper upward inclines or anytime the rider might want to pedal easier.

They seemed like a neat idea. Of course the supporters of e-Bikes were enjoying them immensely within the report.

But my questions are, Who is the biggest manufacturer? Can I buy one from a manufacturer that I could depend on being in business long enough to provide replacement parts over the passage of time? .....which leads me to...

What is the durability of the electric motor? Have they been around long enough to return some idea of this? How would this motor do in environments that have a lot of rain? How durable overall is this system, or is this a "nice weather" only option?

Part of the reason we still have "Standard" bicycles in mass operation in the year 2019, is that they are really amazing machines. Durable and efficient
I guess part of me says, stay in shape, or get in shape, and just embrace the "non-assisted" reality of tires, chain and gear, being powered exclusively by yourself. Even if you do break a sweat, there's something rewarding about reaching a crest of a hill, on only the bicycle and your own efforts.

That being said?
A lot of Americans are out of shape. I have to think that if e-Bicycles get any percentage of people that would otherwise NOT be on a bicycle at all, on a bicycle that's a good thing. I just think I have more "respect" for the classic bicycle.
Hey fitchet,

What really matters, IMHO, is what is the goal with what you want to do? Are you just wanting to ditch the 4 wheels and wanting to get around easier on 2? Want to "get in shape"? Being in Oregon could mean there's "alot" of other riders out there on the road. Which means drivers are more accustomed to seeing 2 wheel riders on the road. Also infrastructure makes a BIG difference for the rider.

I can only express my own opinion on ebike from China. Not really sure what the latest is, but I'm pretty confident that China has gotten it down pretty good on the technology of an ebike. It used to be that many ebike fans shied away from most China made stuff. Lot of junk came out of China early in their intro of the scene! Nowadays my bet is just about everyone is looking at them for a good cost/performace result. It was at one time Crystalyte was the go to guys. They might still be, they look like they've really done well in the last 20+ years.

The technology has really made it possible for many people. Batteries are SO MUCH nicer nowadays too. All the other things that make up the ebikes has improved too. As far as water being a problem? I'd say that's pretty much handled too. To really get an idea of what's currently out there and the "scene", I'd just find a good forum on ebikes and ask around. Never a lack of opinions out there!

Oh also I ran across this intro that's not bad - https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...ic-bike-motor/

Oh #2, props on support for the classic bikes! Good luck.