Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

My Wife keeps messing up the Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 10:45 PM
My Wife keeps messing up the Fit

I may have to get rid of this car. I have to share it with my wife and so far everytime she drives it there is some kind of damage that is done.

The last time it was an easy to replace part. It only cost me $22.00 dollars plus agravation. I am still waiting for it to arrive.

This weekend she drove one of our daughters to a doctors appointment and then to do some shopping, while I went to work in my 11 year old Chevy Lumina with 250,000 miles. I didn't want to drive the Fit that day because I drove it the past three days and I have a 60 mile commute each way. Anyway,
when I came back I decided to do a quick Walk around the Fit and to my desmay, I found a parking lot door ding on the right side rear door.

What gets on my nerves is that she thinks I am making too big of a deal and is mad at me for always telling her how careless she is and then she tells me this kind of wear and tear is unavoidable. Both her and my 11 year old daughter tell me they are tire of me always telling them to be careful with the car.

What also sucks is that I didn't put a down payment and I added the wheels, Taxes and tags to the loan, so I will be getting less than what I owe when I trade it in. I owe $18000 and I will be lucky if I get $16000 as a trade in.

The car is only four weeks old and I haven't even made a payment yet.

I decided it is too much of a heartache too see them mess it up and will be looking into trading it for some old boring car so I won't be stressing any more.
So far the only mod is the HFP 16" wheels/tires that I am sure pretty soon my wife will soon mess up.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:32 PM
I feel your pain, but don't get rid of the car, you chose this car for a reason, and it still has all those attributes. At some level your wife is right, the only way to protect the car from day to day bumps is to never drive it. And try to remind yourself that the Fit is just an economy car, a really nice one, but in today's world; solid, safe, fun and economic transportation. Your car is a transportation tool, it will wear out before you know it. You can try to delay the inevitable, but it will come anyway.

It took me about a day to get over my first door ding on my Fit, it happened in my first week. In retrospect, it's a relief. I still care about the car, but tree droppings, road debris and thoughtless other drivers will always be out there, regardless of what you drive. You love your Fit, enjoy what it is and what it does. We've all got more important things to worry about.

Eric

Old 05-27-2007, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
if you're gonna lose $$ just use that cash you would have lost to fixing the dents you will acquire. The door ding is unavoidable sometimes. Since the fit is so small people tend to swing the door wide open.

My wife scraped the sideskirt. When I was tired I accidentally bumped into the neighbor's bumper. Just things happen.

this is what my wife did a year ago so when you get that much damage, talk to me. lol

Old 05-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Wife Keeps Messing Up The Fit

Eat2na - A woman's view: I would buy your wife a nice used car and you keep the Fit. I've had many vehicles since I started driving in 1978 but the Fit is more than just transportation to me. I just took delivery on 05/15 and I am still parking on the back 40 of parking lots, going to the store at 6:00 AM so I can avoid traffic and I've already washed it twiced and spot cleaned bird dodo three times. I am losing weight from all the walking that I am doing. My Mom went out for a ride with me the other day and I asked her to be careful of the buttons on her sweater - she is 74 years old! I am getting my garage worked on so that I can store it in there to keep it off the streets at night. The problem is that the first ding or dent is going to happen and when it does there will be tears. It sounds like the Fit is important to you and you are the one who will best take care of her when she is not in the driveway. So if you can swing it - purchase a nice used Honda for your wife and let her do what she will with it. You keep the Fit and enjoy the experience of owning a rare car that even though it is not the most expensive wheels on the road - drives like it is!

Cat :X

Old 05-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I have had my Fit for over one year now. I have managed to steer clear of any door dings and such.. (thank god) only problem I've had was .. (wavy flash back lines) It the 3rd day back in Austin with my New Fit and I go out to eat with my brother and mother.. I park towards the front of the lot since it seems like a really good spot. I come back and to my Dismay I find a sidesipe on my back bumper.. I go over to inspect the damage and run my hand over it and it just wipes off as if it were dust?! After the drive home I look at the spot again and notice the little corner of the bumper under the gas lid is popped out, I inspect alittle closer and find a clip to be broken. So thats the only problem Ive had so far.

-- I highly suggest parking next to a curb any chance you get in a parking lot, and as close as you can get so it lessens the chance of door dings..

Old 05-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Grrr... I hate door dings!!!

I wish people wouldn't be so careless about how they open their doors in close proximity to other cars. Despite my attempts to park far away from people in parking lots it never fails some stupid rusted out GMC truck or a Ford Tempo flys in on a retarded angle and then proceeds to slam their door into my car.

I have made sure to never once ding somebody else's car, they should have a special "dumb ass" parking lot for people who do that.

I end up taking my car in usually once every two years to have it professionally "de-dinged" and cleaned up, it can cost a small fortune.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:39 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
sometimes

sometimes you just gotta choke a bitch

Old 05-28-2007, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
I didnt read the whole thread, but man it is just a car. If you dont want it to get beat up then leave it in the garage.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rcantu
if you're gonna lose $$ just use that cash you would have lost to fixing the dents you will acquire. The door ding is unavoidable sometimes. Since the fit is so small people tend to swing the door wide open.

My wife scraped the sideskirt. When I was tired I accidentally bumped into the neighbor's bumper. Just things happen.

this is what my wife did a year ago so when you get that much damage, talk to me. lol

Pls tell me thats not your s2k!!!

Wait. it is!!! If i do this i think my husband will kill me lol

Old 05-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by smeister
I didnt read the whole thread, but man it is just a car. If you dont want it to get beat up then leave it in the garage.
I know it is just a car. I don't know if I am just weird or something but when I buy something that is brand new and expensive and I am the first owner I get a sense of enjoyment out of keeping the new look, feel and smell as long as possible.

If somebody borrows the new item, it could be anything expensive, a car or a laptop or a digital camera, Ipod, PSP etc. I stress out for the whole amount of time that they have it.

When I get the item back, 99% of the time I will discover some flaws on the item made while it was in other peoples hands. Or I will see then right in front of me doing something that it would take me awhile to restore. I don't know, like eating something greasy like fried food and getting everything all greasy. Or if a kid is crying for the expensive item they will give it to them to play for awhile. I am not saying that this is happening at my house but just some examples.

Another angle to this problem is that if the item have been extensively abused or drop, even if there is no major damage and its still works I will completely stop caring about the item and will have to get rid of it.

I can trace this back to when I was like 10 years old. I had this small collection of Hot Wheels that I wanted just to admired and play lightly with them just indoor in my bedroom. I had other that I used normaly like other kids but these ones I wanted to keep new.

TO my horror I arrived one day from school to find my cousins playing with them in the mud. I got really mad and tossed them away really far into the woods in from of then and their parents and never looked back for them.

I have another one but this post too long already.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
I am no psychiatrist, but your case seems pretty extreme. If you wife came back and the car has a ding in it and it was just an accident then there isnt much your wife can do unless you want her to park way out of other cars/harms way. I understand that maybe certain things you can be overprotective about, but a car is meant to be used and it will get its dings and such and that is normal wear and tear. Now if she went and scratched the car on purpose or something of that sort then that changes the whole perspective. If you are that worried about keeping a new car new, than maybe the best way for you is to get a used car and that way you don't have to stress over it AND your wife doesnt have to suffer in some way of always being paranoid of messing up YOUR car.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hotkamote
Pls tell me thats not your s2k!!!

Wait. it is!!! If i do this i think my husband will kill me lol

yes it was. had lots of nice mugen parts on it too.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by smeister
I am no psychiatrist, but your case seems pretty extreme. If you wife came back and the car has a ding in it and it was just an accident then there isnt much your wife can do unless you want her to park way out of other cars/harms way. I understand that maybe certain things you can be overprotective about, but a car is meant to be used and it will get its dings and such and that is normal wear and tear. Now if she went and scratched the car on purpose or something of that sort then that changes the whole perspective. If you are that worried about keeping a new car new, than maybe the best way for you is to get a used car and that way you don't have to stress over it AND your wife doesnt have to suffer in some way of always being paranoid of messing up YOUR car.
We do have two other cars. A '96 Lumina and a '99 F-150 with the 5.7 V8. So I don't need another used car.

The reason I purchased the Fit was to rebuild my credit and to drive something that not a lot of people have, is in high demand and hard to get. We just got out of a bankrupcy and now got good jobs. Capital One offered me a $24,000 loan and I saw it as a fresh start to get back on track and raise my score. The only caveat with this loan was that they allowed me to only get a new car from a franchised dealer or something like that.

Most of the issues that I have are just common sense and preventable if you don't mind to inconvenience yourself a little.

The very first day that I got the car and pull in my yard my daughter was playing in sand and she opened the back of the Fit. Step right on the bumper, slid her shoe with the bottom full of sand right on top of the bumper and procceded to sit inside the back with her sandy clothes. The first thing in my mind was, "should have gotten that bumper Applique".

Removing the scratches from the bumper of a car I just purchased was sad indeed. Not to mention all the sand in the carpet.

A week later, with the same sand. My wife got my almost two year old with the same amount of sand in the front of the Fit and walking and scratching the center console where the shifter is, the silver/gold part where the gears show and droping sand inside all the crevices. My previous hour of detailing gone.

I don't think you have to have some kind of mental disturbance to be bothered when these things happens. Like when my daughter left pieces of taffy candy on the back seat overnight and I didn't find it till 3:00 PM on a 86 degree day the following day, but that is another story.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
hahah I see what you are getting at. I guess best thing is to just take preventative measures. You can start by spraying the seats with some ScotchGuard and making sure the car is waxed nicely. You can't stop little kids to cause trouble sometimes. Just hang in there and take the scratches and imperfections as characteristics of the car. If you need to vent there is always this forum.