Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Bumped at the Mall Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
Bumped at the Mall Last Night

I was at the local shopping mall last night with a mob of people. It was around 8:20PM and I couldn't find a parking spot. So I made it over to the parking garage and began to make my way up to the first level. Lots of cars all over. The car in front of me stops. So I stop and leave a gap of about 8-10 feet between me and the Toyota Highlander in front of me. I notice that the Highlander starts to back up. It looks like they want a parking spot to their right that someone is returning to their car and is going to leave. I can't back up and the Highlander isn't stopping, so I start honking at it. The Highlander doesn't stop until it backs into my front bumper. I get out of the car and there is a young girl driving. She apologizes and said she didn't see me. I tell her to pull into the now empty parking spot to her right and I leave my car there blocking traffic. I walk over to her and ask for her insurance information.

She says that she just got the car and can't find the insurance paperwork.

I ask to see her driver's license and I take a photo of it. "Alicia" is 21 years old. Same age as my daughter.

"Alicia" has some dude with gauged ear hoops sitting next to her in the passenger seat. He's drinking something out of a can. He says nothing.

I ask to see her registration for the vehicle. She produces it. Her name and address from her driver's license don't match the registration. I take a photo of it. It's a 2002 and not a new car.

I take a photo of the Toyota Highlander license plate.

I look at my bumper and it is scuffed up/scratched, and it looks like the paint is delaminated from the bumper on the passenger side of the car. Pretty minor. Probably needs the bumper repainted.

So I think to myself, "OK do I call the cops? I sure wish she could give me her insurance info."

She apologizes again and says the car is registered to her husband. I assume the bruh with hooped ears next to her is not the husband.

I get her cell phone number and text her my information. I tell her to send me the insurance information when she gets home.

I get my car out of the drive lane and stop blocking traffic and park on another level of the garage.

I call my insurance company to document the accident.

I call my wife to tell her about it. She gets mad at me for calling our insurance.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-23-2015, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
cool story bro

Old 12-23-2015, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by DanMarino

I call my wife to tell her about it. She gets mad at me for calling our insurance.

Merry Christmas!

I never know what to do in that situation. Why is she mad about calling the insurance? If you don't call the insurance then you are relying on the other party to deal fairly with you. Might be okay, might not. If you don't involve insurance then your rates do not go up (they are in business to make, not lose money). If you do not notify the police then you risk the other person coming back and saying you rear ended them and they start having whiplash symptoms, chronic pain can't work.... If you do call the cops they show up and somehow decide you deserve a ticket, which costs money and gives you points, and makes your insurance go up.
I live in New Hampshire which does not require you to have car insurance (Live free or die) which means you not only buy car insurance but you also buy extra insurance to protect you from uninsured motorists!

yep, merry Christmas...

Old 12-24-2015, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
The funny part is that I was at the shopping mall to buy my wife a Christmas present....

Can't win.

"Alicia" apparently has insurance through Nationwide. After talking to a Nationwide claims adjuster, I found out that the vehicle was involved in another accident that morning. The adjuster hinted that there might be a "coverage issue."

Old 12-24-2015, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Here's "Alicia"

Attached Thumbnails Bumped at the Mall Last Night-alicia_zpsr9mqtubc.jpg  
Old 12-24-2015, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Your first mistake was going to the mall this season. Too many people. Everyone in a hurry. Everyone in a bad mood because spending too much money. Crowded parking lots.

Perfect recipe for things like this to happen. I know from experience. I was at Vons Grocery store on chritmas eve. I return and see my rear quarter panel smashed in. No other driver, no witness, no note. Nothing. I know it was some lifted truck bro, because the location for the dent was too high for most cars to make.

So now I don't go to any store/shop unless its really early before the crowds and I park in the farthest away spot.

/end story

Old 12-25-2015, 07:33 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Why are you posting the other driver's license photo? And you're volunteering so much information that nobody is asking about. This is a little strange.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:00 AM
One way to solve that: don't get married!

Here's "Alicia"

If she were a car, I'd hit it.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
I talked to "Alicia's" Nationwide insurance claims adjuster today. It sounds like whey they bought the vehicle, it was never officially added to their policy. The claims adjuster thinks that the vehicle will be added within the next couple of days and that Nationwide will cover the repair of my car. He said I will hear back from him by next Wednesday. Sounds like I can take my car to a Nationwide "approved" shop for repairs, or to a shop of my own choice.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
Why are you posting the other driver's license photo? And you're volunteering so much information that nobody is asking about. This is a little strange.

She's a 21 year old young girl who backed into my car and is driving around without proof of insurance. I don't mind posting her driver's license photo on the internet. The whole thing is strange....

Last edited by DanMarino; 12-31-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Good news. Nationwide called me today and indicated that "Alicia's" accident is covered. They are going to cut me a check for over $500 to get the front bumper repainted.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Take it to the local Mercedes Dealer and have their body shop give you an estimate..

Old 01-19-2016, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Congratulations on getting the repaint covered. Seems you would need to be compensated more that 500$. From the way you described it, she is a bad driver. But I am sure she is not bad in bed

Old 01-28-2016, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
A check for $512 came in the mail this week.