Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Selling car parts online - way to make extra cash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Selling car parts online - way to make extra cash?

I'm looking for a way to make some extra cash, and I've been considering selling car parts online. I am lucky enough to live in a major metropolitan area, and I'm within minutes of 7 well stocked salvage yards full of all kinds of hidden goods. I've been considering hitting them up on the weekends and just pulling all the good stuff I can and selling online. Like for example I found a set of OEM alloys from a BMW 540i with tires with at least 80% tread left and in good shape. Another good example was front driver and passenger seats from a 1997 Integra GSR with no rips or tears in them (this car just had front end damage and looked good otherwise; a perferct rebuilder), and all sorts of untouched engines that could be transplanted.

So I have to ask, do you think I could make any money pulling all these goodies out for pennies and tossing them on forums, ebay etc? Or would the pay out not be worth the time spent in the yards?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:00 PM
I dont see why not lol. I think it would be awesome. Im sure some stuff is going to not profit as much as you would like, but some will. Id be all over it!

Old 12-29-2008, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
I'm in St. Louis right now visiting my gf's family. I can tell ya, there ain't much to do out here, lol. All I've been doing is eating and sleeping. So if you're bored, I'd say heck why not. There's a lot of work to be put into packaging/shipping wheels/seats, but if you can make a profit then go for it.

Beware though, junk yards can sometimes rip you off pretty badly. Maybe if you let the junk yard know that you'll be a regular then they might hook you up.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
I probably shouldn't admit it, but some things ARE small enough to fit in my pocket, in my tool box or under my jacket. Hatch supports and the like. I was just thinking that I'm always out there looking for parts for my Prizm that I find all kinds of import goodness that the yard either doesn't realize they received or just don't care. I wouldn't bother touching anything from domestic cars. Just catering to Honda, Acura, BMW, Nissan and Mazda as those seem to be the best finds I come across. Along with alot of junk for Celicas :/