Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Received Copyright Infringement Letter from ISP

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Received Copyright Infringement Letter from ISP

My ISP (Mediacom) sent me a copyright infringement letter. It alleges I (or my connection) downloaded (and shared) a certain file, on a certain date, from my IP connection that was copyrighted. It says to send back to a certain Mediacom address a few bits of information that basically means I am admitting wrongdoing:

1. My physical or electronic signature
2. Identification of the files that have been removed (proof I deleted these files)
3. My statement under penalty of perjury that they were removed.
4. My name, address, and phone number and that I state that I consent to the jurisdiction of the US district court where I am located.
5. I acknowledge that I accept this notice being served to me.

I am also to supply my name and Mediacom account number.

Has anyone else ever received anything like this? Is this supposed to be some scare tactic or is this just a slap on the wrist?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
i got one too. its just a warning that if a company were to pursue a case against you that have your IP as evidence and will disclose the owner of the IP address.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Obviously you were downloading copyrighted software, music or video. I would advise you to refrain from doing it.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:21 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
why cant you say you already owned the said copyrighted material and you were downloading for backup purposes? then its not illegal to download those files if you already owned them.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
why cant you say you already owned the said copyrighted material and you were downloading for backup purposes? then its not illegal to download those files if you already owned them.
I think that's still illegal.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
was it repo men the movie by chance?

Old 08-13-2010, 11:53 AM
How is a letter like that even legal? An ISP doesn't have the power of the court! And testament under penalty of perjury? What happened to the fifth amendment, most especially when conversing with a private enterprise and not a court of law!

This is alleged, meaning someone pointing fingers and it angers me. Besides how can you ever prove you deleted anything?

Old 08-13-2010, 01:53 PM
I'll chime back in here as I'm the OP.

I haven't heard (or received another letter) from them since then. My service has never been shut off (which is probably the first thing they'd do if they received another notice from this or that movie/music studio).

Either way, the letter was incredibly well written to the point of utter scariness. It was specifically designed to leave you with the following choices:

1. provide everything they want, and basically admit guilt
2. crap your pants
3. ignore the letter and stop downloading (or be more careful about it)

Old 08-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by jcschlic
my isp (mediacom) sent me a copyright infringement letter. It alleges i (or my connection) downloaded (and shared) a certain file, on a certain date, from my ip connection that was copyrighted. It says to send back to a certain mediacom address a few bits of information that basically means i am admitting wrongdoing:

1. My physical or electronic signature
2. Identification of the files that have been removed (proof i deleted these files)
3. My statement under penalty of perjury that they were removed.
4. My name, address, and phone number and that i state that i consent to the jurisdiction of the us district court where i am located.
5. I acknowledge that i accept this notice being served to me.

I am also to supply my name and mediacom account number.

Has anyone else ever received anything like this? Is this supposed to be some scare tactic or is this just a slap on the wrist?
don't even dream of responding - delete it

Old 08-16-2010, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Delete it. Don't respond to something like that ever. Really are they going to take u to court for that no. If so there would be alot more court cases we all down load music and thing from the internet

Old 08-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
Really are they going to take u to court for that no. If so there would be alot more court cases we all down load music and thing from the internet
Actually, they do take people to court. Of course they don't have the time or manpower to sue everyone that downloads music, but they do make examples out of people. You can find examples of people who lost their homes or filed for bankruptcy after losing their cases in court. It's not pretty so don't be mistaken and think that there are no risks involved.