Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

My avatar...music related...open chat!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Cool My avatar...music related...open chat!

Just got this one and wanted to start a random chat about my favorite artist

For those who are too young or just don't know, this pic is from the Monteray Pop Festival circa 1967 "The Summer of Love" and he burned the guitar at the end of the show. He did this because of a little dispute he had with his buddy Pete Townsend of the Who, another guitar hero. Either one of them wanted to follow the other and Hendrix just said, "well, if I've gotta follow you, I'm pulling out all the stops!".....and the rest they say is history!

This concert was Hendrix's first concert back in the states after "making it" over in England where he was warmly welcomed by the English crowd and basically "adopted" by them as well. He was too wild for the U.S. crowd, even opening for the Monkey's of all groups, but once their clean cut parents found about that it was over and he was removed from their tour. Even the blues legends of the the time didn't like him because his version of the blues wasn't what they thought it should be, talk about NO RESPECT! After this concert his star exploded and he released 3 albums in the next 3 years and was working on a fourth until his untimely death on September 18th, 1970.

Before his death his music was expanding in many directions, even looking to work with Miles Davis, the "Hendrix" of the jazz world. One could only imagine what that music would've been like. Hints of it can be found in Miles' late 60's work like "Bitches Brew" where he fused jazz with rock or what would later be called "jazz fusion".

I really like music, his in particular and wondered if there's others out there who share my passion for his music or just wanted to ask about him or if your old enough, pass along a story about seeing him in concert, I know this site is pretty diverse.

Thanks

Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Love Jimi Hendrix, never got the chance to see him in concert .

Greatest guitarist ever! Some of my favorite songs are Voo Doo Child and All along the Watchtower, Are You Experienced?
We listened to his album nonstop in college.

Did you actually see him at Monterrey Pop? did you see Janis?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by sooznd
Love Jimi Hendrix, never got the chance to see him in concert .

Greatest guitarist ever! Some of my favorite songs are Voo Doo Child and All along the Watchtower, Are You Experienced?
We listened to his album nonstop in college.

Did you actually see him at Monterrey Pop? did you see Janis?
Sad to say I did not, I was only 7 monthes old when he died, so I wasn't even thought of when that concert happened. Heck, my Mom and Dad were just dating, cruizin' around in his 66' Corvette Stringray and listening to the Beatles, well my Mom was anyways, I'm sure my Dad was listening to country (rest his soul)

My favorite Hendrix song is "Machine Gun" from the original Band of Gypsy's album, recorded at the Filmore East on New Years Eve/Day 1969-70 (I was in the oven still for that one) That would be one desert island album of his. After that though I like "Dolly Dagger", its all groove, as was the stuff on his upcoming fourth album called 'First Rays of the New Rising Sun".

I wish Oliver Stone would do a movie about his life like he did for the Doors!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:36 PM
I love the way Jimi "talks" throughout his music...

".... listen here baby....."

Old 07-29-2010, 09:37 PM
"Move over rover and let Jimi take over!"

Old 07-29-2010, 11:16 PM
White collar conservative flashin down the street, pointing that plastic finger at me,
they all assume my kind will drop and die, but I'm gonna wave my freak flag high.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Good one Krimson

Kind of off topic but not really, go here and check out Stevie Ray Vaughan doing "Third Stone from the Sun" from the El Macombo in Toronto from 1983. If you look closely you can see the spirit of Hendrix enter his body and take over, what a performance. If you've got good speakers on your computer its a real treat, breath-taking performance!!!

YouTube - Stevie Ray Vaughan - Third Stone from the Sun

I love SRV too!

....and Santana

Old 08-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Check this out!

YouTube - Stevie Ray Vaughan - Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)

Imitation is supposed to be the most sincerest form of flattery....I'd say so!

Old 08-26-2010, 06:29 PM
A BBC tour of where Jimi lived in London, right next door to where Handel lived for 36yrs. Take A Look

Old 08-26-2010, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
if there was one musician I could go back in time and witness live it would be Jimi! His music is just incredible!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
A BBC tour of where Jimi lived in London, right next door to where Handel lived for 36yrs. Take A Look
Thank you VERY much for that Krimson, I'd love to go see all that inperson....some day

Old 09-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Thumbs up 40 years!

Today is the 40th anniversery of the passing of Jimi Hendrix. I'm listening to his music all day long and will watch one of my vids. You might wanna check out YouTube and find one you like to watch

GREATEST EVER!

Old 09-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
White collar conservative flashin down the street, pointing that plastic finger at me,
they all assume my kind will drop and die, but I'm gonna wave my freak flag high.

I'll stick by this. Happy 40th to Jimmie. We all need to wake up and hear the music. Now is the time.....

Old 09-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Its hard to get the word out about him, surprisingly The radio stations only seem to know, Fire, Foxy Lady, All along the Watchtower, Crosstown Traffic and Voodoo Chil (slight return). These tools that program the stations are nothing more than trained monkeys from a zoo, I wish I could own a radio station, I'd get the word out about him and others like him!