Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Looking To Join A Gym

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
Looking To Join A Gym

I am considering joining a gym. What do you guys recommend in the North Hollywood/L.A. (California) area?

Bally?
Gold's?
24 Hour Fitness?
Other?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark

Old 09-13-2010, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
For what it's worth here are my two cents when looking at gyms. First check you commitment. You would be amazed how many folks join, then flake out after a few months. Problem with that is usually you are stuck with a one year contract. Hence you are paying for something not being used. Prices these days are way too much in my honest opinion, but hey if you got the scratch to pay, more power to you.

If it were me, I would try a workout schedule at home first. Push ups, sit ups, squats, and some cardio by jogging or riding a bike. Yeah its not the same as the gym, but if you can commit to being consistent even with all the distractions around the home, then you can consider joining one. Otherwise you might be wasting your money.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, 'runner.

I did 10 years at Bally's, so I guess I'm okay with commitment.

At home is cool, but I need the gym for the weight training. Or do I?

I'm two days into a jogging routine in order to get some cheap cardio. I'm old, and I don't know what I'm doing, so I just hobble along for 20-30 mins at a time, trying to build some endurance. Hope my knees hold out!

I would love any advice you may have on running and the rest!

Old 09-13-2010, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Marrk
Thanks, 'runner.

I did 10 years at Bally's, so I guess I'm okay with commitment.

At home is cool, but I need the gym for the weight training. Or do I?

I'm two days into a jogging routine in order to get some cheap cardio. I'm old, and I don't know what I'm doing, so I just hobble along for 20-30 mins at a time, trying to build some endurance. Hope my knees hold out!

I would love any advice you may have on running and the rest!
Ah. My bad. I assumed you were thinking of joining as a newbie. If that's the case then it's just a matter of scoping out the gyms during the times you want to go, pick the one that's least crowded, take price into effect and join. As for running, my running days are long behind me. Everyone gets old, eventually the body just can't take the pounding. Switch to a bike. Or if the gym has it, laps in the pool are good too. Weights, not really needed if you are not interested in getting big. However they are nice to hit in order to give your workout variety and help keep some tone.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
'runner, there is no "bad" here, so no worries. I'm interested in any kind of information you have to offer. I don't know anything.

So, you're a reformed runner who has learned the error of his ways, eh? Perhaps you would like to warn me off of it? I have always avoided running because of the injury to the feet and joints. I don't know why I am giving it a try now! Oh, yeah. I know why. It's cheap and easy to accomplish!

I need the weight training to build core strength and build the systems around the joints (so that I don't get injured doing things like walking, running, etc.).

I love swimming, but, like, find me a clean pool.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Im with Mark, if your joints are getting "tender" try swimming my far best cardio. If not also try rowing on the machine or for real. I cant stand running at the gym i get bored. Personally ill do some cross-fit for cardio. Taking advantage im still in my 20's

Old 09-14-2010, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Marrk

So, you're a reformed runner who has learned the error of his ways, eh? Perhaps you would like to warn me off of it? I have always avoided running because of the injury to the feet and joints. I don't know why I am giving it a try now! Oh, yeah. I know why. It's cheap and easy to accomplish!

I need the weight training to build core strength and build the systems around the joints (so that I don't get injured doing things like walking, running, etc.).

I love swimming, but, like, find me a clean pool.
I can't really warn you off running. You have to know the limitations of your own body. I have friends that still run, kudos to them. My feet, and knees just hit their limit probably in my mid 30's. In my 40's now, so I found my own groove so to speak.

As for the clean pool thing haha...maybe pack some chlorine with you to pour into the local pool? I just jump in, try not to drink and make sure to take a shower right after and pop a few vitamins just to be safe

Old 09-14-2010, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Yesterday was my second day of running and I am experiencing knee pain in my usual places. I hate to give it up, but I would probably be foolish to pursue it under these circumstances. I'm in my 50s. Nothing is going to "get better" for me.

Plan B: Bicycle? Gym? ESPN and gin & tonics? Death?