Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Geting back in shape!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:56 AM
5 Year Member
Geting back in shape!

Hey Fit Freaks i thought it would be a good thread to track my progress of geting back into shape this year. If any one else wants to join in there more than welcom. Well lets see back ground on me first. I am 26
years old in the Marine Corps and go to college at night. Iam 5ft 6inches tall and weigh in at 145 right now. But i want to get rid of a little fat and gain some muscle. So i am busy most of the week and find it hard to get a chance to work out lately. But my goal is to be a solid 145-150, and still be able to run 3 miles in around 20 minutes. Right now i made a goal of running 12miles a week. Well i fell short of that last week with only running 7.2 miles. But i am going to bring that goal down to 8-9 miles right now. The hardest part to me is balanceing cardio with weight training right now. I eat good so i am not worried about as much. Well will keep updated with me work outs and progress as this goes on.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member
Well yester day i biked 14 miles. I did this in a spin class at the gym. I know it's not running but i will count some of this toward my cadio for the week.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
I can strongly relate to what you are doing and have had quite a bit of experience at things you are doing and the effects.... Too bad your not at Pendleton instead of Pensacola, when I was there I had a friend that I ran through the hills with every evening usually getting back to the barracks at 22:00... That was at comm school in 16 Area 43 years ago, we just couldn't stay asleep at night if we didn't do it after classes all day... Cycling is wonderful for a cardiovascular workout but a study done by the athletic department of North Central Texas College with tri athletes showed that running ability wasn't enhanced by cycling as much as cycling ability was improved by running... Be careful not to wreck your knees, there are a mess of old Marines at VA hospitals all over the country hobbling around with knee braces and walking sticks... Messed up backs are common also....Semper Fi....

Old 02-03-2011, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the help and motavation. I'm thinking i might stat to do more running on the tredmills to save me knees from the impact of the road. Or start swimming when it gets warm out side.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Way back when, we always ran it the old neoprene soled all leather boots seldom wearing the high top canvas sneakers except for the days preceding the PT test and the day of the test... From what I have read in recent years the uniforms don't need much attention, like polishing of brass and boots or wool tropical shirts and trousers the need to be dry cleaned... Is it true that the Utilities are now was and wear? It is said that the lower maintenance uniforms are because it frees up time to be in the gym....Very few Marines when I was in looked nearly as buff as some of the monsters I have seen pictures of and the tattoo thing is a little out there also.... We could get a captains mast and NJP for shaving our heads but a lot of us did it while in the bush or on a radio relay outpost on a mountain with no chicken shit officers.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
LOL There is the Marine in you. Funny i can't recall seeing any post by you where i could tell with out a doubt that you were a Marine. The uniforms today are as easy as it comes on up keep. The Utilites have a permenent crease in them so no drycleaning them any more, there wash and wear the boots are now made with sude so no shineing them. But some of us still run in them. I am a Martial Arts Instructor so i still pt in my Utilities. Yes i would agree 100% with the tattoo thing in the Marines. Also most marines are in the gym for hours a day now. It seems to me there is not as much training going on today that there was back than. So this plus the new uniforms makes Marines have alot of down time.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
I was only if for 19 months of a 2 year enlistment and that was all I wanted unless I could have stayed on as a radio relay operator... I only did that for a few weeks because my back and knees played out from humping a PRC-25 radio and directing air strikes on the DMZ and Laotian border in 68 and 69 for 11 months and they put me on light duty... We all went about 2 months with out a chance to bathe or get new boots or clothes on Operation Dewey Canyon... We seldom slept and went days at a time with out resupply of food and water.... Malaria, jungle rot and other jungle ailments usually kept us at 1/2 strength.... Google Operation Dewey Canyon sometime and go to History Net fo a good read that is almost completely correct.... There was a lot of confusion all the way up to the final extraction of the reinforced 9TH Marine Regiment.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks i never hear of that operations. I love to read about history. Thanks for ur service. It's because of the Marines of the past paving the way for us in the future that we are who we are.