Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Gun savy, chime in

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 07:39 PM
Gun savy, chime in

Here is the deal, on Friday I drove from Miami to myakka city Florida 250+ miles (the fit did awsome) loaded with guns/ammo and three heads. I went to the manatee gun range had a blast good people up there, too make the story short I have 2 assault rifles a colt le6920 and a sig sauer 556 classic with an aimpoint red dot. I had the chance to compare both side by side at 560 yards they both performed identical, so I'm deciding to let go of one the colt, what do you guys think is a fair market value, the colt is like new condition, with Troy quad rail and vertical grip. What do you think it's worth

Old 10-31-2010, 08:32 PM
1100-1600? ARs are pretty ubiquotus these days. Plus, the newer "gas system" is the rage. Though you do have the prancin pony. The LE 6900 series is one that others (ie. RRA, Doublestar etc..) measure up to. Why sell it. Hang on to it. It should fare well, good luck.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
I only invest in war relics.... When you say "assault rifles" do you mean they have the ability to fire burst or in full auto mode?

Old 10-31-2010, 09:05 PM
They call them assault rifle since they fire intermediate rounds and generally hold 20+ round magazines. Here in the states we get the semi auto versions, generally speaking they fire in semi, full, and three round burst. The assault rifle was designed to replace the larger infantry bolt actions and the pistol caliber sub machine guns of ww2, which was when it was conceived. As for war relics I have a Swiss k31 and a Turkish Mauser, those guns will be here long after I'm gone. I'm selling it to try and acquire something else like a DM rifle in semi auto 5.56, sig sauer dmr, or along those lines, 1-2 moa@300 meters would be ideal

Last edited by Itsslow; 10-31-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
I trained and qualified with a M-14 then spent a tad less than 13 months toting a PRC-25 and M-16 though my issue weapons were a Kabar and 1911A1 both of which I carried as well.... The M-16 was a means of not standing out when non friendlies were in the neighborhood.... After firing a M-14 with selector switch once in training on full automatic I was happy to have the M-16 though the ammo was made up with Ohlin ball type powder instead of the Winchester Western stick powder that was specified by Eugene Stoner.... One company in the regiment I was later attached too had 100% casualties in the hills outside of Khe Sahn due to the powder contracts and 1/2 of the KIAs had their weapons disassembled to clear them of jammed cartridge cases.... I didn't get around to firing another M-16 until 1994 and was amazed that the things work beautifully with the right ammo....I was fortunate enough to acquire a very nice Garand that had been reworked at Springfield and is all match grade except for the barrel because it was determined to be as accurate as a match grade barrel.... I seldom shoot much anymore but my wife does.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Anything American circa ww2 and older command high dollars, a garand in fair/good condition will fetch 3 times that of European equivalent, your mausers,nagants,enfields. Hang on to that thing. The m-14 was a great rifle, short lived though, I think what really brought the m-16 into the combat scene was the ability to carry more ammunition and the short distances in typical engagements seen in the last half of a century. So there was no need for long rifle cartridges. The ar-15 variants work flawless so long as it's kept lubricated, clean and lubed is ideal. The m-14 shot regardless much like the ak

Last edited by Itsslow; 10-31-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:39 PM
Another reason I'm selling is it's getting too expensive to shoot, I have lots of fun plinking with my 22lr all day

Old 10-31-2010, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
If the AK was firing the same round as the Nagant and piston was under instead of over the barrel it probably would have been similar to the M-14... The 14 fired on full auto was a bitch to handle and would leave your shoulder black and blue for a month.. It weighed half of what the BAR did and was very close in power to it but the muzzle climbed like crazy... The boat tailed light weight bullet fired by the 16 was pretty much useless in heavy jungle and easily deflected by relatively thin vegetation.... the maximum amunt of rounds that could be placed in a 20 round magazine was 17 or the second round wouldn't be stripped off and fed into the chamber.... The lack of confidence in the weapon resulted in a spray and pray technique of firing it making it even less effective... At the end of the Vietnam war the Commandant of the Marine Corps said that the M-16 had ruined the marksmanship of the Marine infantrymen...A heavier round was used later on and Ohlin Purchased Western, keeping their contract and supplying the recommended powder that the 16 was developed to fire.... I have seen a CAR 16 that was almost always fired by its owner on full auto shoot over 2500 rounds through it and never jam or be cleaned, but they wouldn't fire a full magazine of 20 rounds without screwing up even after the issue of newer models with chromed barrel liners in late 1968.... It wasn't the rifle that was bad but the contract to purchase powder from Ohlins that caused the problems.. It was short cycling so bad that the rate of fire was approaching double what the original rate of fire had been with the right powder and with a firing rate that high there was frequent breakage of parts.... I can remember one firefight on a ridge on the Laotian border near a hill called Tam Boi where thousands of rounds from M16s were be fired by The Marine company I was attached to and by the enemy that was firing back at us with a cache of captured M16s we had a few guys that were wounded and one KIA from a RPD light machine gun... I was behind some banana trees with 2 other radio operators and we were being pelted with pulp from the trees but never hit by a round that managed to penetrate ourv flak gear.... The only enemy that I saw that were brought down was taken by snipers armed with a M14 and the other with a Remington bolt action both were scoped and shooting Norma match rounds.... Now I am remembering other situations that were much worse so I am going to find some post that will take me else where... I will mention that the guy I got my Garand from was building a varmint rifle that fired 5.56 ammo and what I paid for the Garand was what he needed for his scope.... I wish that us old guys that were just kids then hadn't been equipped with ammo that wasn't meant to be used in the rifles we were issued because of a contract that required the powder to be supplied by Ohlin... I wouldn't mind having a newer version of the Black Rifle... Eugene Stoner was brilliant.