Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Turning 101

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Turning 101

A rant from a fellow fitfreaker:
Why is the concept of the two lanes that both make a right-hand turns lost on so many of our fellow drivers?
Just today I was coming up to a signal that has two right-hand turn lanes, one puts you in a lane for 133 HWY and the other 73 Toll Road. I was in the far right lane because I wanted to get onto the 133. As I approached the intersection, this lady in a Suburban is in the left right-hand turn lane, suddenly she slams on her brakes, cuts me off and then makes a complete stop even though the light has turned green before reaching the intersection. She then proceeds to make this wide right turn, finishing in the left lane used to enter the 73, she could have just stayed where she was!!! As I pass her she shoots me this look like I shouldn't have honked at her. I wanted to follow her and draw an f-ing diagram to show her how many ways she failed.
Conversely, it seems every time I make a right from the outer right-turn lane, the douche on the inside corner comes over into my lane because they need to be in the far left lane for what ever reason.

Why can't anyone seem to grasp this simple concept? Why doesn't anyone plan for more than 1 or 2 seconds into the future?

I think we need a stricter driving test for getting a license. Sure this might strip my wife and some friends of their driving privileges, but I say so be it. If more people were capable of following the rules of the road there would be less accidents and our insurance premiums would go down. Keeping with that thought, why don't insurance companies give you a discount for taking defensive driving courses? I would think it a good idea for insurance companies to take a proactive stance on preventing accidents for the people they insure.

Okay, I'm done.