Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Fit Offroading & Trailering

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 02:52 AM
Fit Offroading & Trailering

Anyone Tow anything significant off-road with their Fits? Several times a year we put a 16ft aluminum fishing rig on the back of my Fit up at one of my friend's cabins. There are no roads, gravel at best grass or mud at worst and VERY steep grades.

The pictures don't feel like they do they hills/grades justice. Several are in excess of 10%, so I'll try and take some more dramatic shots next time lol

The steering console, chairs and motor are not installed in this shot but the whole rig with trailer and 20HP motor weighs about 480lbs. The boat launch is gravel and also a steep incline overlooked by a bar balcony. The look on people's faces staring down at us in this Fit with a boat that is just as long lined up with full size pickups/SUVs is priceless.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
The water meter reader had me read the meter and call it into him after getting stuck or grounding out trying to get to it... I have had too carry a small shovel to dig my Fit out a few times and have a guy with a back hoe set my tractor back up on 4 wheels when my driveway washed out after a hurricane made it up here a few years ago, And the Goldwing looked horrible laying on it's side... I only have to negotiate 100 yards of sugar sand instead of 1/2 mile since reaching an agreement with the county... My avatar picture is taken where the road starts.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
The water meter reader had me read the meter and call it into him after getting stuck or grounding out trying to get to it... I have had too carry a small shovel to dig my Fit out a few times and have a guy with a back hoe set my tractor back up on 4 wheels when my driveway washed out after a hurricane made it up here a few years ago, And the Goldwing looked horrible laying on it's side... I only have to negotiate 100 yards of sugar sand instead of 1/2 mile since reaching an agreement with the county... My avatar picture is taken where the road starts.
Damn. It's an adventure just getting out of the house for you huh? Thank goodness you don't get the snow we do!

Then it would be impossible.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:07 PM
I wanna see your Fit on the ramp. When I was 'working' I designed many a launch for NYS. I've seen some dillies, like a ball mount poping with a suburban out to the hubs on a shallow Hudson River launch at high tide. Stood the boat right on it's stern.

That's a nice little fishing boat.

Coyote - my daughter and new husband just drove across Texas to the Guadalupe NP. She says it HOT out there, but burning in NM. Next stop north to the GC.