Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

mayweather vs. ortiz

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
mayweather vs. ortiz

wow. the most obviously fixed fight. ever.

1. ortiz's obvious headbutt it obvious
2. the "apologetic" kiss on the cheek by ortiz. really?
3. another apology right before mayweather's sucker punch?

weak. i really thought ortiz would make something of himself. it's sad to see that he sold out.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
I don't want to rule it out, but I wouldn't say it was fixed. It's not too far fetched though, with Ortiz having gone down and not even reacted after the first punch, as even a novice fighter would've backed up or at least put his hands up, and also having been such a good sport about losing not just the fight but also his belt. Then consider the fact that while Mayweather claims that he is his own boss and how he has his own company (Mayweather Promotions), he ALWAYS does a co-promotion with Golden Boy and has only fought their fighters since 2006.

I'm more of a Manny fan, but I'm still a Floyd fan too since I like boxing, and the guy can box the shit out of people. The problem is that he doesn't do it, for whatever reason. Yes, he knocked Ortiz out, but while everyone wants to win, I'm sure that winning by a knockout like that isn't how everyone would want their hand raised at the end. I knew the whole time that Mayweather was going to win, and introducing a new opponent who hasn't fought someone who fought someone who fought someone who Floyd already beat made it somewhat interesting, and it was a perfect opportunity for him to further solidify his claims of being the best. But again, it was a legal punch, and he did just get headbutted, so I guess I can't really say too much about it.

But the guy is out of his mind... I'm surprised that Merchant didn't punch him in the face for the comment that he made before he was even asked anything, but his reply back was pretty hilarious. Hopefully HBO wises up and stops giving Floyd everything he wants since he's just putting on these lame ass fights that don't quite make viewers feel like it was worth their $70 (or $60, for the non-HD viewers) while being completely disrespectful to their crew. Just remember how rude he was to Max Kellerman after the Marquez fight, and then there's this. In addition, I'm waiting for the PPV figures to come out, but I really don't think it broke a million. It just didn't seem like there was much interest for it, even with all of the promotion that they had done.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Mayweather's a businessman 1st, boxer 2nd...
Pacman's a boxer 1st, people's hero 2nd, businessman 3rd...
GO MANNY!!!

Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
good insight, deeez!

i liked this guy's point of view as well:
Mayweather vs Ortiz - YouTube

Old 09-20-2011, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, that guy was funny as hell and had some great points and did a good job at being unbiased when explaining his stance about having no issues with the KO.

At the end of the day, it's about winning... but again, I'd rather have my KO victory come from knocking the guy the fuck out during an exchange and not from after the guy leaned in to hug apologetically after a headbutt.

But if Mayweather threw those punches DIRECTLY after the headbutt, then that would've been fucking boss.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
"payback is a beeotch!":d

Old 09-21-2011, 10:59 PM
I didn't catch the fight, just the now infamous sucker punches. Did ortiz headbutt him just that once our did it happen more than that?

Old 09-21-2011, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
just once. but it was so obvious like he wanted everyone to see it, not even trying to make it look like an accident.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:29 PM
I think Mayweather is a coward. I'm sure Manny Pacquiao will beat his ass.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
I still don't see Pacquiao-Mayweather happening at least until the end of 2012.

Mayweather-Khan is looking like a stronger possibility, and it's easy to set up in terms of getting contracts signed since Khan is with Golden Boy while Mayweather is clearly the bigger draw... no concerns about who deserves more of the purse.

Pacquiao-Bradley is likely, seeing how Bradley just signed with Top Rank, so that will at least throw some new blood into the mix since they've had no common opponents. I still think Bradley needs to prove himself though, and that lame fight that he has against Casamayor on the Pacquiao-Marquez III undercard isn't enough. Hopefully he can get a legit fight at 140 (possibly against Maidana, who Arum said he originally wanted for Bradley but didn't work out due to scheduling, or even Khan, though that isn't likely) or even something at 147 against a mid-tier welterweight would help legitimize the fight while building more buzz for it.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member
Man, Ortiz sold out. Mayweather's scared of Pacman.