Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

CRZ test drive :D

Old 02-22-2012, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
CRZ test drive :D

So just on a whim, on the way to work today in my chitty Dodge Caliber rental I swung into the honda dealer by my office to see if they had a CRZ on the lot. Had one black EX with the CVT and navi. Ended up test driving it and holy crap. I was very impressed. It feels like it has more spunk than the fit, the seats feel amazing. The controls and gauges are beautifully set up and arranged. The aux port is down low in front of the shifter and there is a hidden compartment underneath the head unit with USB connection for plugging in an ipod or something similar. Trunk space is great if you drop the divider. Other wise is just ok. Not a big deal for me really but it might be for others. The three different modes are pretty cool. I drove it in sport for the most part and was really impressed. It's quick for a CVT. The digital speedometer was jumping 8 mph at a time when I punched it. i-Vtech is noticeable when it kicks in and the car goes from a slow build up to straight zipping through 3500 rpm all the way to red line. Shifts are quick and crisp and it has 7 "gears" which was a surprise to me. Handling was as good as my fit after putting the coils on. Very little body roll, very tight handling (took it down a twisty back road that the sales person was kind enough to point out to me). Sound system was great with the 6 speakers + subwoofer setup. Didn't really play with the nav but I dont plan on getting one with it.

Overall I'm very impressed with it and I'm definitely sold on it. The dealer that I bought my fit from found 9 different 6 speeds that they can get for me when

Old 02-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator
Nice review. i like the CRZ, thought about picking one up in a year for a DD

Old 02-23-2012, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
I really wanted one over the Fit honestly, but paying over $30k for one because of the horrid exchange rate, I just couldn't do it. That was an additional $7000 in mod money for the Fit.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
555: Wait, the CRZ's are over $30k USD over in Japan?

Old 02-23-2012, 05:29 PM
I was also just hanging out, I really liked the body of the New crz, heck I liked the old ones too. I didnt do any research on the car, so I wasnt planning on driving it. I wouldnt reconmend this approach. I looked like an idiot when I realized it was a Hybrid.
Personally I'm kinda interested in the idea of gas/electric, I see the reason behind it, the hybrid theory. Going on the idea of alternative fuel for a car I would have like honda to go all eletric. and then let the boys in the backyard and aftermarket have their way with it. The body and type of car it is small coupe is PERFECT for an all eletric car. I mean no disrespect, but a CRZ would kill most gas powered car.
Now I'm going off my original point. I was dissappointed with it being an hybrid. I would have proferred it a gas powered car. I also didnt like its take off in the butt dyno. I had a saleman with me, He was very patience with me and informative. I would have like to have taken it for a spin without him though. I like to be focus when driving no distraction/U no music up to max & speeding, haha. Dont get me wrong the saleman and I got along great.
I still like to see a 2 Door Hatchback made by honda or the eletric version of the FIT in the ohio area. I would sell my 08 sport - which I very fond off, My motorcycle, and pay extra for a electric FIT as long as the range was there and price I dont think I can pay over 600.00 a month. the insurance would be an interesting quote.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
blassty, the Beta spec goes for like 2.2million yen and that is even before taxes and whatnot to get it on the road. Today's exchange is ¥78/$1. That is like $28200. The Alpha spec goes for about 2.4million yen.

Actually here is the pricing from low to high on the CR-Z here...¥2,268,000~¥3,121,500, taken directly from the Honda CyberMall where you can order a car online and have it delivered to a nearby dealer. So in reality a CR-Z can cost like $40,000 when optioned out. Again, people stateside don't realize how bad the $ really is and the fact that Honda is not really making anything on cars that are made in Japan and sold in the US. They may actually be losing.

Like I said previously, I bought my Fit when it was 88/1 and it still cost me $22400 and today it would be...READY?! $25270!!! Yet Fit Sports go for what like $18k or maybe even less. So really people can not complain when the cars are not outfitted the same way, costs to the manufacturer and profit margin have to be considered, afterall they are a business. How many people in the US would purchase a Fit at say $23000? Probably not many at all, even if it was outfitted exactly like the RS is here.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
^^^@,@
Wow, I had no idea. I just assumed it was atleast equal or less. I don't know where I'd got that assumption from actually. Here in the U.S. I always thought things from Japan are more expensive since they are imported here. Scratch that, I do know where I got that assumption. When I buy model kits from Japan. Obviously model kits aren't the same as importing cars.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm thread jacking, Jamy. =)
I thought about the CRZ alot lately as my next car, whenever that is. I mean, I'm single with no kids, I think this is the best time to own a 2-seater, right? I say go for it. =)

Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
Lol no harm no foul with the slight thread jack. Was just giving a random opinion on it. I actually have a 2012 SSM 6 MT EX coming now. Should be here next week early hopefully. I will say this. The CRZ has a lot more performance options out there now. Even though the crowd on the crzforum.com is about the same as here. Some are hardcore some are suspension/wheels and done. It is impressive to see an intake giving almost 14 ft-lbs of torque at 2500 rpm with no tune. There is major potential with these vehicles.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:02 AM
Test drove one the other day. I think I'm gonna trade my Fit in.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
I got mine last night.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
PICS?!!?