Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Forum members who are DishNetowrk customers

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Banned
Thumbs up Forum members who are DishNetowrk customers

You are going to lose the AMC TV channels- in fact, they are gone. Goodbye "The Walking Dead", "The Talking Dead", "Breaking Bad", "Mad Men" "Hell On Wheels", and any future great TV that will come from this broadcaster.

Dish broke their contract with AMC, and now cannot broadcast anything from that group of channels (including the IFC channel).

I am switching to DirecTV after 18 years with Dish. For the "everything" package, by signing up through Costco for DirecTV, I will save about 40% off my monthly bill, and still receive the same channels. AND will get a $120.00 Costco gift certificate on top of that.

Dish and Direct have their satellites near each other in the southern sky, so if you get Dish now, you can also get good reception from Direct.

Whether or not the loss of the AMC channels bothers you, you can save a LOT of money by switching now. DirecTV is eating Dish's lunch because of the AMC fiasco. If you are interested, visit your local Costco store and get a quote from DirecTV.

You still save a lot by signing up with DirecTV on-line, but you save even more by signing up through Costco (the same way you do by getting your cell phone service through Costco instead of directly through the network stores).

Sorry that this does not have anything to do with cars, but the money that you save on your TV bills can buy a LOT of car stuff.

Last edited by Triskelion; 07-09-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
lol that's dumb on their part (Dish)

Old 07-09-2012, 05:16 PM
I <3 my DirecTV, the only "television provider" i've had that hasn't been a gigantic pain in the ass as far as customer service.

Cable/internet companies that I think suck horribly:
#1 TIME WARNER
#2 Cox Cable
#3 Verizon

I was afraid my place wouldn't be able to get sat service because of the northern orientation of my balcony but the DTV tech came out and made it happen with a 5' boom to the dish, I was very happy

Old 07-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I <3 my DirecTV, the only "television provider" i've had that hasn't been a gigantic pain in the ass as far as customer service.

Cable/internet companies that I think suck horribly:
#1 TIME WARNER
#2 Cox Cable
#3 Verizon

I was afraid my place wouldn't be able to get sat service because of the northern orientation of my balcony but the DTV tech came out and made it happen with a 5' boom to the dish, I was very happy
I felt the same about DishNetwork for many years. And ALL satellite providers have a multitude of lawsuits pending from broadcasters that the satellite providers have breached contracts with. It is the loss of the AMC channels that has made me look around.

Personal note to any satellite customer-- if a tree limb or windstorm changes the aim of your dish, do not pay your provider $30.00 or any other fee to come out and re-aim the dish. Do it yourself. Use "satellite finder" as search word on Google, plug in your zip code, and you will find the heading and azimuth points to find your satellite. Motor- home drivers with dishes do this wherever they camp. You just need a compass and an inclinometer to get your dish in the general area of your satellite, and a little electronic gauge that connects to the cables from the satellite and tuner box for fine tuning (called a "satellite finder"). It's easy-- DON'T PAY for it. Eliminating the cost of one visit from the satellite tech. will pay for the measurement gadgets, all available from Amazon.com.

However, if your dish is three stories up in the air, maybe it is worth the $30.00 tech fee to save your own neck. Depends on how often you need to do this, and how strong your fear of heights is.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mike410b
lol that's dumb on their part (Dish)
Agreed. This WAS a stupid move on DishNetwork's part, especially their outright lies to their customers. "Oh no, Comcast and DirecTV don't have AMC TV either" (what they told us).. Yes, they do, just Dish is out in the cold with a bunch of pissed off customers. And DirecTV is reelling in thousands of new customers over this single issue. In spite of their less-than-stellar reputation on service and pricing. At least for now, I will save at least $50.00 per month on TV service costs without losing AMC broadcasts.

With enough incentive, I can always switch back to Dish. In my experience in mountain living, satellite TV FAR exceeds any benefit of cable suppliers. You don't lose saltellite TV if some idiot drives into a power pole. Maybe you have to fire up your generator, but you don't lose TV reception.

Oh, and with this switch, I now will get HD TV that I didn't have before. Wow! This is so good I may pass out from excitement! Thanks for screwing yourselves, Dish!

Last edited by Triskelion; 07-09-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
All the providers suck, its simply a least bad scenario, Charter Communications is absolutely terrible.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mike410b
All the providers suck, its simply a least bad scenario, Charter Communications is absolutely terrible.
Thanks for the input, but this thread was posted to DishNetwork customers. We don't give a crap about Charter Communications, but if they are a cable supplier, of course they suck. Sorry for your troubles.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
My contract will be up in a month, 2.5 yrs ago I had to quit Directv to get a better price. Dishnet claims they will negotiate to retain, where Directv wouldn't, hard to figure why a good customer for 8 yrs couldn't get what they were offering new customers. Equipment and dish in place with good signal, now I will be able to negotiate with either as I left the Directv dish and wires in place. If I had a costo in driving distance I would check them out, any other recommendations for dealers with good offers?

Old 07-09-2012, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
I have been a Dish Customer for many years & am upset about the loss of AMC-- I tried Direct TV for two years when I first moved to my current home and later switched back to Dish-- I didn't like the way the channel guide read. To me navigating their system seemed less intuitive. I also like that I can watch my dish programming & recorded shows on my Ipad and from any computer with internet access. I think I would have to give that up if I switch to Direct TV.

I don't watch much tv, but have about 9-10 favorite shows and Mad Men & The Walking Dead are two of them. I just downgraded my monthly package to America's top 120 from the Top 250, since I was only paying extra to get AMC.

Since you can bundle Direct TV through Century Link, our local phone provider, I recently spoke to them about Direct TV. However, all their packages seem much more expensive.

I do not want to get a fancy package just to get AMC--can you actually get better deals through Costco?
I have no interest in Sports or premium movie channels (HBO,Showtime, etc.) Wondering if I could actually get a package that includes a AMC & a DVR for $50-$60 a month. For me a DVR is a must have and also the features of the sling adaptor- watching from my Ipad. I can buy episodes of Mad Men from Itunes. So downgrading my dish package seemed like the best move for me.
I am not sure if Direct TV has all the features that Dish offers with the sling adapter. If they do, I might consider switching.

Last edited by sooznd; 07-09-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Banned
Thumbs up My new deal with DirecTV

For members who have lost the AMC channels from DishNetwork, and are waiting for installation of some new TV service (as I am) to get all of the channels that they pay for, you don't have to miss the first episode of Season 5 of "Breaking Bad". Just log onto AMCtv.com, sign up as a DishNetwork customer, and you can get streaming video of tonight's premier of Season 5 (the series finale) to be viewed on your computer.

As a 10-year Dish customer, I had two DVR receivers, and happily paid $140.00 per month to get all of the channels that Dish carries. Tomorrow (Monday, 7/16) I will have DirecTV installed, with two Hi-Def DVR's, to get what I pay for (specifically including the AMC channels). My first three months will cost $45.00 (for every channel they carry). After that, the rest of the year will cost $90.00 per month. Beginning the first of the next year, I will pay $120.0o per month for the entire year. On top of that, I get a $120.00 Costco gift certificate just for signing up. I remind you, I WAS paying $140.00 per month for the same, non-Hi-Def channels through DishNetwork.

Through DirecTV, I get everything that I used to get from Dish, including AMC channels (AMC, IFC, and Sundance Channel), ALL in Hi-Def that I didn't get with Dish. Over the next two years, I will save 40%. I WIN! (You can too- go to Costco, listen to the DitrecTV reps., and sign up if you like what you hear).

No, I don't work for DirecTV. Maybe these deals are not offered where you live, but it is worth the time to find out. If you liked the AMC channels, you are now being cheated, and are probably paying too much for what you DO get on TV.

Last edited by Triskelion; 07-15-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
will your cost increase a lot after the intro period?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by sooznd
will your cost increase a lot after the intro period?
Re-read the previous post. Of course the cost goes up after all of the introduction discounts go away. What the service would cost in CO, I can't guess. You will have to talk to the DirecTV reps at your own Costco store.

I had to turn down the offer that they gave me. Their installation tech. could not get a good enough signal reception without mounting the dish antenna on a tripod in a corner of my back yard and laying 40 ft. of co-ax cable across the ground to my house. My dogs would chew up the cable, along with the squirrels and skunks, so I refused to have the installation done. If the dish can't be mounted to the edge of my roof and get a proper signal, I don't want it. So, I am still over-paying DishNetwork for channels that I can no longer receive.

I just bought the entire 5th. season of "Breaking Bad" on Itunes, and will do that if necessary for "The Walking Dead". But my bad news does not have to be your bad news. Talk to your DirecTV reps at Costco and see what they quote you.

Just keep in mind that if they tell you "Oh, if you can get good reception with DishNetwork, you will get the same with DirecTV, that is NOT necessarily true. The Dish satellite is in my southwestern sky. The five satellites for the DirecTV Hi-Def service are all in the southeastern sky. Where you live, mountain ridges and trees may prevent clear access to one of the satellites, as they do for me. I am really disappointed- wanted to tell DishNetwork to eat their equipment.

Oh well, this still beats Comcast cable.

Last edited by Triskelion; 07-17-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
I have had both services with decent reception in my current home, so that would not be an issue. Interesting thing is some good friends who have been Direct TV customers for many years just switched to Dish because Direct TV was going through one of their annual channel cancelling cycles. She said this happens every year and they just got tired of it!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:20 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
DirectTV just got rid of 26 Viacom Channels... I'd much rather lose the AMC channels than the Viacom ones.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
DirectTV just got rid of 26 Viacom Channels... I'd much rather lose the AMC channels than the Viacom ones.
Yikes! Same here that would mean no more Sponge Bob for my grand kids & no more Daily show or Colbert Nation for me.