Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Fit Is Gone, Thanks to Drunk Driver :-(

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
should be a fun car! from talking to friends who own those, they say will take just a bit more effort to maintain, but apparently the rewards make it worth the extra effort

GL with that thing!

Old 11-18-2018, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Nice! We have a '17 Golf Wofsburg. Only 36k miles, but so far so good.

Golf/GTI's are not as inexpensive to operate as a Fit, but definitely drive a million times better. Enjoy!

Old 11-18-2018, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
should be a fun car! from talking to friends who own those, they say will take just a bit more effort to maintain, but apparently the rewards make it worth the extra effort

GL with that thing!
LOL...we said the same basic thing at the same time. Your friends are correct. Our Golf requires more maintenance and everything costs more, but the reward is worth it for some people. We seem to be those people.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
requires more maintenance and everything costs more, but the reward is worth it for some people. We seem to be those people.
That seems to be the general consensus from my asking around and research. I guess I will see if I am one of the people that feels it's worth it. A VW guy I work with said just keep up with the maintenance and it will last a long time. This is the same guy who thought I was crazy for buying a used Pilot with 110k miles lol. I said it's a Honda man! 100k is nothing!! So in VW speak a lot of miles might be 100k lol.

Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
GL with that thing!
Thanks!

Old 11-19-2018, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
You're safe in the mileage department. What I've gathered from VW people is they don't see 200k, 300k, etc to be a problem. Difference is in what they consider maintenance vs. repair. They find it normal to replace half the car to get it to go the difference. Nice thing is that the chassis are quite a bit stouter to begin with. Bad thing is that everything that bolts to the chassis is considered a replaceable maintenance item.

Ours is getting over 30k miles/year, so we'll know soon.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Difference is in what they consider maintenance vs. repair. They find it normal to replace half the car to get it to go the difference.
Lol, tat's funny you say that. I was looking at "maintenance" on a website and they listed a 60k mile cooling system package that consisted of everything but the radiator. Honda has spoiled me as oil, brakes and spark plugs are what I consider regular maintenance. Glad to hear your Golf has been doing great. I have been following your thread!!

Old 11-20-2018, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
GolNat glad you're ok. That was a huge hit! Looks like the Fit did what it was supposed to do.

If you still have access to the Fit, I'd be interested in the stereo/nav bezel if it is the OE Honda (not aftermarket).

Old 11-20-2018, 07:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
nice GolNat! congrats on the GTI and MT. very cool.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolNat
Found a well loved GTI locally! 2013 with 35k miles. I’m nervous because it is not a Honda. The last time I went away from Honda it was a disaster. It is such a blast to drive though!! Was originally wanting a 4 door since I have kids but we always use the Pilot for going places together so they won’t be in it much.

That is a nice find. I have a 2013 like your's except I have the dreaded DSG that Ken loved & now hates LOL. You have a fine car & what people have said rings true. Don't skimp on the maintenance & it will treat you well. I love the solid build of the GTI.

Here's mine......

Old 11-21-2018, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Insurance gave me $7100 for the Fit!!!! Very happy with that number considering she had 93K miles and about 5 months ago they spent $3800 on deer damage!!

Originally Posted by kenchan
nice GolNat! congrats on the GTI and MT. very cool.
Thanks!! The MT is so slick and smooth!!

Originally Posted by Alfa38
GolNat glad you're ok. That was a huge hit! Looks like the Fit did what it was supposed to do.
Yes I am very grateful to the Fit and Honda's safety team. It is also a great example of how important seat belts are!! If I had not been wearing one things would have turned out a lot worse.

If you still have access to the Fit, I'd be interested in the stereo/nav bezel if it is the OE Honda (not aftermarket).
Yes I currently do have access to it but the insurance company will be towing it somewhere soon. I will see what I can grab and if it is not taken to far away I can take a ride over.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
That is a nice find. I have a 2013 like your's except I have the dreaded DSG that Ken loved & now hates LOL. You have a fine car & what people have said rings true. Don't skimp on the maintenance & it will treat you well. I love the solid build of the GTI.
Glad to hear and great looking GTI!! It is very solidly built and a joy to drive. I just ordered some RedLine synthetic and an OEM filter so I can change the oil in it. Problem is I don't have any darn tools to work on it. Everything is a Torx or allen bolt lol!!!

Old 11-21-2018, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
so now we know ..... if a seller is asking $7100 for a ge8 with 93k miles.... its perfectly reasonable

Old 11-22-2018, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Glad to hear and great looking GTI!! It is very solidly built and a joy to drive. I just ordered some RedLine synthetic and an OEM filter so I can change the oil in it. Problem is I don't have any darn tools to work on it. Everything is a Torx or allen bolt lol!!!
I had torx bits since my last car was a MINI & they used a lot of them to screw it together. What I had to buy were what are called triple square bits. I picked up a set on Amazon for not much money.

Changing your oil, great idea. Remember to pick up a crush washer for the drain plug. If you reuse it you'll leak oil onto your driveway.

Triple Square bits Triple Square bits

Old 11-22-2018, 05:07 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
That is a nice find. I have a 2013 like your's except I have the dreaded DSG that Ken loved & now hates LOL.
haha! i just saw this post. yah, DSG was okay while my left ankle was healing, but once healed i went back to my roots (MT cars only).

Thanks!! The MT is so slick and smooth!!
awesome, sounds great. i installed a BoombaRacing short shifter adapter on my MK7 Golf-R which got rid of most of the slop. not sure if they sell one for your car if yours is a little sloppy.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member

The more you mess with the car, the more odd fasteners you will find. It's clear that the German's do NOT want you messing with the car. They want you blindly taking it to the dealer for exorbitant dealer service fees. I've had some laughable quotes for basic stuff.

Here are some examples of VW's attempt at preventing owner maintenance on our Golf:
- Torx head screws to fasten down the airbox lid while ALL other cars have simple clips
- Special tool required to remove and replace the ONE TIME USE plastic oil drain plug (I found you can shove a large flat head screwdriver into the plug instead)
- Oil filter housing uses a 36mm socket instead of standard oil filter wrench
- Lug nuts have covers that appear to be allen, but actually pop off to reveal a stud type lug nut

Everything I touch on the car is just a little odd, but it seems to be built well. Some of the stuff just leaves me shaking my head though. Luckily I don't mind buying tools. I could buy every tool made for the car cheaper than letting the dealer perform what they consider normal maintenance.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
The more you mess with the car, the more odd fasteners you will find. It's clear that the German's do NOT want you messing with the car. They want you blindly taking it to the dealer for exorbitant dealer service fees. I've had some laughable quotes for basic stuff.
It does have a variety of fasteners! For a Honda you just need a few mm sockets and a phillips. This thing needs the toolbox thrown at it. I don't know if its intentional or not or just what they have. We have some German machines where I work and they use odd fasteners also. From what I could find a Torx head is better in some ways then a regular bolt head.

- Torx head screws to fasten down the airbox lid while ALL other cars have simple clips
I was thinking the same thing. I thought maybe because of the boost from the turbo they want it sealed better. At least it does not need to be checked often.
- Special tool required to remove and replace the ONE TIME USE plastic oil drain plug (I found you can shove a large flat head screwdriver into the plug instead)
Umm I think my drain plug is metal from what I could tell from looking at it. It takes a T-45 Torx I think. Luckily the torx kit I ordered from Amazon had the correct size.

- Oil filter housing uses a 36mm socket instead of standard oil filter wrench
I like how easy it is to access (on the 2L engine) but have not attempted to remove it yet.

- Lug nuts have covers that appear to be allen, but actually pop off to reveal a stud type lug nut
Lol I always thought that you needed an allen socket to remove them but when reading the manual I found out those were covers!?! I don't get the lug bolt design either. I did find that there is a tool you can buy that allows you to hang the wheel on the hub (like normal cars).

Everything I touch on the car is just a little odd, but it seems to be built well. Some of the stuff just leaves me shaking my head though. Luckily I don't mind buying tools. I could buy every tool made for the car cheaper than letting the dealer perform what they consider normal maintenance.
I agree. I like tools and it is still cheaper then the dealer! I'm sure some of its design comes from problems or situations that are in Germany and not here. It does feel well built but so have all my Honda's.

I did buy some oil and a filter for it. Will attempt that in the upcoming weeks.

Name:  Ct8dGpQl.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  61.6 KB

Old 11-28-2018, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
FYI I see you have a gallon jug of Red Line. You will need 5 quarts.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
And the MK7, like ours, takes 6. Thirsty buggers.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Yes the other gallon has not arrived yet.

I have a Blackstone test kit that I ordered for the Fit that I might use for the GTI and this oil. I might use it for the Pilot too or just order another so I can do both!

Old 11-29-2018, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Still sad to see this, but at least you're good now and already got a replacement!

It was great chatting with you the other day. Hope the MK6 treats you well!

Old 11-29-2018, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
And the MK7, like ours, takes 6. Thirsty buggers.
I'm guessing VW spec'd the extra quart due to that plastic oil pan. Gives you a couple extra seconds of reaction time should the wurst happen. Just kidding.... ;-)

Quick Reply: Fit Is Gone, Thanks to Drunk Driver :-(