Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

97 Honda Accord seatbelt retraction problem

  #1  
Old 05-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Posts: n/a
97 Honda Accord seatbelt retraction problem

I have a 1997 Honda Accord with about 140K miles.
The seat belt on the drivers side doesnt retract well anymore.
Often the belt gets caught in the door when I leave the car.
Perhaps this is normal wear and tear on the seat belt mechanism after
so many miles. Just wondering if anyone has a similar problem and if
anyone tried to repair this, roughly how much should it cost?
Thanks

 
  #2  
Old 05-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Posts: n/a
Re: 97 Honda Accord seatbelt retraction problem

Hi. Will the belt go to the end of the track if you help it along?
Sounds like it may just need a good lubrication, either of the
track/slider, or the drive mechanism.

 
  #3  
Old 05-04-2005, 11:16 AM
motsco_ _
Guest
Posts: n/a
Re: 97 Honda Accord seatbelt retraction problem

[email protected] wrote:
> I have a 1997 Honda Accord with about 140K miles.
> The seat belt on the drivers side doesnt retract well anymore.
> Often the belt gets caught in the door when I leave the car.
> Perhaps this is normal wear and tear on the seat belt mechanism after
> so many miles. Just wondering if anyone has a similar problem and if
> anyone tried to repair this, roughly how much should it cost?
> Thanks
>


-----------------------------

Read your (American?) owner's manual very carefully. . . You have
specific rights that apply to the seat belt mechanism.

'Curly'

 
  #4  
Old 05-04-2005, 11:16 AM
radar
Guest
Posts: n/a
Re: 97 Honda Accord seatbelt retraction problem

often seat belts get worn and ever so slightly frayed becoming slightly
'furry' which makes them reluctant to retract ( especially drivers belt ) so
if you seat belt seems slightly furry or fluffy then shave it (carefully!)
whith a bic or similar disposable razor. This should help!

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] oups.com...
> I have a 1997 Honda Accord with about 140K miles.
> The seat belt on the drivers side doesnt retract well anymore.
> Often the belt gets caught in the door when I leave the car.
> Perhaps this is normal wear and tear on the seat belt mechanism after
> so many miles. Just wondering if anyone has a similar problem and if
> anyone tried to repair this, roughly how much should it cost?
> Thanks
>



 
  #5  
Old 05-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Posts: n/a
Re: 97 Honda Accord seatbelt retraction problem

Oh I misunderstood the original posters question...I thought he/she
meant the motorized retraction.

-Jamie

 
  #6  
Old 05-04-2005, 11:16 AM
ravelation
Guest
Posts: n/a
Re: 97 Honda Accord seatbelt retraction problem


"motsco_ _"@interbaun.com (motsco_ _)
wrote:

>Read your (American?) owner's manual
>very carefully. . . You have
>specific rights that apply to the seat belt
>mechanism.


I've often read in differing ngs that broken seatbelts will always be
warrantied by the dealer, no matter the age of the vehicle. True? The
reason I ask is we just bought an '01 Infiniti QX4 and it has a seatbelt
that won't come out of the retractor. We signed the 'as is' clause, but
I'm hoping a broken seatbelt would be something they'll honor with no
quibbles or charge for the service.


 
  #7  
Old 05-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Timothy J. Lee
Guest
Posts: n/a
Re: 97 Honda Accord seatbelt retraction problem

In article <[email protected]>,
ravelation <[email protected]> wrote:
>I've often read in differing ngs that broken seatbelts will always be
>warrantied by the dealer, no matter the age of the vehicle. True? The
>reason I ask is we just bought an '01 Infiniti QX4 and it has a seatbelt
>that won't come out of the retractor. We signed the 'as is' clause, but
>I'm hoping a broken seatbelt would be something they'll honor with no
>quibbles or charge for the service.


Read the owner's manual for the vehicle regarding warranties that apply
to it.

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Timothy J. Lee
Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome.
No warranty of any kind is provided with this message.
 
  #8  
Old 05-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Posts: n/a
Re: 97 Honda Accord seatbelt retraction problem


[email protected] wrote:
> I have a 1997 Honda Accord with about 140K miles.
> The seat belt on the drivers side doesnt retract well anymore.
> Often the belt gets caught in the door when I leave the car.
> Perhaps this is normal wear and tear on the seat belt mechanism after
> so many miles. Just wondering if anyone has a similar problem and if
> anyone tried to repair this, roughly how much should it cost?
> Thanks


I have had that same problem with the belt on my 94 civic.
If the Accord has the same type belt as the Civic this may
fix it. I took the cover from over the belt (heavy plastic that
can be pryed off) and found the belt twisted just above the
retracter. Work the twist up to the top hanger, slide the half
fold to either side of the hanger and then pull the fold through
the hanger, this will be a bit of a pull to get it through.
You may have a few turns in the belt at the floor mount but they
can be removed by turning the belt hanger around the mounting
bolt near the floor. My belt now retracts smoothly.
Ernie

 
  #9  
Old 05-04-2005, 11:16 AM
J.
Guest
Posts: n/a
Re: 97 Honda Accord seatbelt retraction problem

You might also try cleaning the belt (soap & water only, then dried well)
and also the guide on the pillar that the belt slides over. This was
actually a service bulletin on my old 90 Prelude and completely cured my
slow/hesitant retracting belt when I tried it when the car was about 7 years
old.

I could actually see crud on that belt guide and also used a thin stiff
plastic sheet to help scrape it off. Don't know if Honda has changed
materials or spacing to help alleviate that problem.

J.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] oups.com...
>
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I have a 1997 Honda Accord with about 140K miles.
> > The seat belt on the drivers side doesnt retract well anymore.
> > Often the belt gets caught in the door when I leave the car.
> > Perhaps this is normal wear and tear on the seat belt mechanism after
> > so many miles. Just wondering if anyone has a similar problem and if
> > anyone tried to repair this, roughly how much should it cost?
> > Thanks

>
> I have had that same problem with the belt on my 94 civic.
> If the Accord has the same type belt as the Civic this may
> fix it. I took the cover from over the belt (heavy plastic that
> can be pryed off) and found the belt twisted just above the
> retracter. Work the twist up to the top hanger, slide the half
> fold to either side of the hanger and then pull the fold through
> the hanger, this will be a bit of a pull to get it through.
> You may have a few turns in the belt at the floor mount but they
> can be removed by turning the belt hanger around the mounting
> bolt near the floor. My belt now retracts smoothly.
> Ernie
>


 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
User1
1st Generation (GD 01-08)
14
10-23-2017 09:26 PM
Telix
Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance
1
10-05-2007 02:34 PM
Ray
Other Car Related Discussions
3
08-10-2005 08:36 PM
Matt
Other Car Related Discussions
2
05-04-2005 04:44 PM
PK
Other Car Related Discussions
6
05-04-2005 11:16 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 Honda Accord seatbelt retraction problem


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.