1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Seat Belt Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 10:36 AM
Seat Belt Upgrade?

Hello all,

This seems to be on quite a few GDs, the driver's side belt ends up jamming? I saw that a few 07-08s I was looking at at the wreckers. Anyways my seat belt is jammed and currently doesn't fit me, I'm fat! I was thinking I would have found a replacement by now. Looks like I got to expand (no pun intended) my selection potential. Maybe even get something better?

Right now I'm just looking and needing to replace the driver's side. If the belts are worth replacing, I'll replace the other 3-4. Any other years I can use? Any better than others?

Old 10-13-2017, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
Is it actually jammed, or just doesn't retract? <--- common Honda issue on all models

You can address the retraction issue by

1. clean the belt (and the shoulder strap stirrup) with rubbing alcohol or isopropanol

2. rub the webbing with a little (not a lot) of Ivory soap

3. Be careful in the future because the belt will retract so fast, the buckle might wack you in the face.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Is it actually jammed, or just doesn't retract? <--- common Honda issue on all models

You can address the retraction issue by

1. clean the belt (and the shoulder strap stirrup) with rubbing alcohol or isopropanol

2. rub the webbing with a little (not a lot) of Ivory soap

3. Be careful in the future because the belt will retract so fast, the buckle might wack you in the face.
Hello Carbuff and thanks for the reply.

Yeah that belt is jammed. There's not movement at all. I haven't tried pulling it out with all my might, but it seems jammed. Tell you the truth, I'd take a good whack in the face if I could get it working right!

Also the belt is fairly clean as it is right now.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
OK.

It's worth bringing it to a dealer (or at least, calling Honda Customer Service, first to see what the policy is).

At one time Honda warranted seatbelts for the life of the car. Not sure when they stopped doing that but if you can't buckle it, they are not doing their mandated safety job.

Even if you ARE 'pleasingly plump'. LOL

Old 10-13-2017, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
I am an average an size person 5-8, 130 lbs; often after braking I notice that the seat belt locks and fails to release until I manually pull on it.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:37 PM
OK.

It's worth bringing it to a dealer (or at least, calling Honda Customer Service, first to see what the policy is).

At one time Honda warranted seatbelts for the life of the car. Not sure when they stopped doing that but if you can't buckle it, they are not doing their mandated safety job.

Even if you ARE 'pleasingly plump'. LOL

Yeah I called them and they said they'd have to check the code to see if it's covered. They said I'll have to bring it in on Monday.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I have a safety light on that shows a air bag with person sitting, and it's in red. I have the belt connected, but I'm sitting on it.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:08 PM
Well this isn't sounding good. I took the car to the dealers and they said it wasn't covered. They said it was in an accident and I need some parts. They said two parts. A Tongue Set $575 and a SRS Unit $677. I didn't ask what the labor would have been on it, but I'm betting ~$1k.

So I can't get another seatbelt and get that retracting and stuff? Where could get something working for less than a $1k?

Old 10-16-2017, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
That's too bad. The dealer is quoting you prices that are a little higher than List BTW.

Cart Contents Honda Parts at HondaPartsDeals.com: Honda Accessory, Honda Car Parts, Honda Auto Parts, Honda Accord Parts

If as you say, that other Fit belts in junkyards are also stuck, I don't know what to tell you (except to keep looking, as Fits are often 'totaled' without big impacts).

Old 10-16-2017, 06:09 PM
hell, I'd raid all the junkyards to find a working belt to save over a grand *on a damn seatbelt*!

Old 10-16-2017, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by radioarno
hell, I'd raid all the junkyards to find a working belt to save over a grand *on a damn seatbelt*!
That what I was going to say. It looks like as long as I get both sides of the belt and it wasn't used in a crash, I could piece together a working seat belt system, yes? Will I still have air bags?

Hellya it's worth me saving a grand to scout around EVERY WHERE.

Man I feel like a dummy being suckered into this Fit. It was cheap though. And they are cars I like.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
If a junkyard you go to doesn't have suitable parts, ask them to SEARCH nearby yards for other Fits.

Or, check yourself, at sites such as Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Old 10-17-2017, 11:35 AM
If a junkyard you go to doesn't have suitable parts, ask them to SEARCH nearby yards for other Fits.

Or, check yourself, at sites such as Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

This must be a sign from the Honda Gods! I put in all of California and the top 4 hits state Rancho Cordova. That's where I'm moving to (close). Also there was nothing stated for in my area.

Thanks for your help Carbuff. Much appreciated!

Old 10-23-2017, 08:01 PM
Hello all,

I managed to find a working driver's side seat belt at the wreckers today! I have the setup on the outside and the clip and switch on the inside. Basically two pieces. I took as much as I could and still manage to get the seat belt setup. The outside part was three bolts and the inside part was two bolts ( I believe). I can take some pics if needed. I just kept it as simple and easy as possible.

I am wondering now how the best way to put this new one on the car. My plan of attack is to disconnect the battery and just replace the outside half. Seems like the inside half is not really doing much. There is some connection that is being made with switches and stuff, but there doesn't seem to be much there for the inside half.

Also there was a switch that I had to leave there cause I didn't have that star wrench that needs to be used to get it off. Here's a pic as you would see it and the next is a pic upside down, so it's legible. Is this part needed to get a working driver's side seat belt?

Old 10-23-2017, 08:14 PM
Hmmmmm...... The parts list that Honda gave me to get my seat belt working correctly is;

04818-SLN-AooZA Tongue Set *NH167
77969-SLN-L23 SRS Unit

The second part is kinda close to what this part is here in the pics.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:26 PM
Here's a pic of my original switch(SRS unit?) in action.