Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Test Drove a Fit:A Sad Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
Test Drove a Fit:A Sad Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally got the chance to test a Fit this mourning. I have been making plans on purchasing a 4door family car this summer. I'm currently driving an 06 Civic Si, but my wife is insisting in the need of 2 extra doors and something more spacious. I know she's right, so I have been looking at a few cars online. I tested out a Fit Sport with a 5 speed manual transmission.
My first impression when seeing it up close was that it was smaller then I thought and cute. They had a Vivid Blue Pearl and an Orange Blaze(I believe that's what it's called) next to each other. Both of them are the best colors in my opinion, but the Fit Sport looks good in almost all colors. Any who, I sat in the car and looked around the interior. Simple and straight to the point, but very spacious. Checked the back seats, folded them in different configurations, checked the trunk, was impressed.
After checking the car like a girl at the bar after too many shots, I finally took it for ride. My first impression gettting out of the parking lot is that it was pretty peppy in first and second gear. I was actually surprised. It felt pretty quick. The sales guy kept telling me to floor the gas while taking a corner. I did that a couple of times and was amazed at how well it cornered. After finally getting comfortable with driving the car, I started driving it like I would normally drive any car to work. This is where I was disappointed.
I know it's not fair to compare it to my Si, but the power on the Fit at the higher RPMs was very limited. In the low gears it pulled hard, but once you get past 5k rpms it felt like someone has shut down the car. This is not very typical Honda. Normally a Honda would reach it's peak power in the top of the RPM Band, but that's not the case with the Fit. This set up may be the best for daily driving in the city, but I'm driving highway miles to work. It just doesn't work for me. And before anyone bashes me for comparing it to my Si, my old 03 Ford Focus Hatch had more pull in the higher RPMs, and the HP difference is minimal.
The pedals were a little weird for me as well. Whenever I tried to heal and toe the side of my shoe kept getting caught on the gas pedal. I'm a size 11, which I don't consider massive. Plus the pedals are ridiculously small.
I was disappointed and, honestly, a little sad. I had my mind set on getting a Fit so much. I stopped considering other cars and even joined these forums. But know I believe I will not be getting a Fit. It just doesn't feel like a Honda.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Cornerstrike
I finally got the chance to test a Fit this mourning. I have been making plans on purchasing a 4door family car this summer. I'm currently driving an 06 Civic Si, but my wife is insisting in the need of 2 extra doors and something more spacious. I know she's right, so I have been looking at a few cars online. I tested out a Fit Sport with a 5 speed manual transmission.
My first impression when seeing it up close was that it was smaller then I thought and cute. They had a Vivid Blue Pearl and an Orange Blaze(I believe that's what it's called) next to each other. Both of them are the best colors in my opinion, but the Fit Sport looks good in almost all colors. Any who, I sat in the car and looked around the interior. Simple and straight to the point, but very spacious. Checked the back seats, folded them in different configurations, checked the trunk, was impressed.
After checking the car like a girl at the bar after too many shots, I finally took it for ride. My first impression gettting out of the parking lot is that it was pretty peppy in first and second gear. I was actually surprised. It felt pretty quick. The sales guy kept telling me to floor the gas while taking a corner. I did that a couple of times and was amazed at how well it cornered. After finally getting comfortable with driving the car, I started driving it like I would normally drive any car to work. This is where I was disappointed.
I know it's not fair to compare it to my Si, but the power on the Fit at the higher RPMs was very limited. In the low gears it pulled hard, but once you get past 5k rpms it felt like someone has shut down the car. This is not very typical Honda. Normally a Honda would reach it's peak power in the top of the RPM Band, but that's not the case with the Fit. This set up may be the best for daily driving in the city, but I'm driving highway miles to work. It just doesn't work for me. And before anyone bashes me for comparing it to my Si, my old 03 Ford Focus Hatch had more pull in the higher RPMs, and the HP difference is minimal.
The pedals were a little weird for me as well. Whenever I tried to heal and toe the side of my shoe kept getting caught on the gas pedal. I'm a size 11, which I don't consider massive. Plus the pedals are ridiculously small.
I was disappointed and, honestly, a little sad. I had my mind set on getting a Fit so much. I stopped considering other cars and even joined these forums. But know I believe I will not be getting a Fit. It just doesn't feel like a Honda.
1) Your first problem was stepping out of an FG2 and into a Fit (which you already know).

2) Your second problem was comparing it to a ZX3, particularly if you had the Zetec version. You would've had almost 30 more horses and more torque to play with in a car with similar packaging. Not exactly apples to apples.

I'm not quite sure why you were expecting another FG2 in the Fit. It has power equivalent to the old D-series (but a much better, more useful powerband). No disrespect intended, but if your wife was the one pushing for a vehicle like the Fit, then perhaps she should've been the one to test drive it. Sometimes, we forget, ESPECIALLY when we have our own sporty cars to drive, to include the Mrs. or the significant other, in on the purchasing decision since he or she is often more "practical-minded" then you or I. Like I said, you'd just hopped out of the FG2 (I presume, anyway) and revving to nearly 9 grand with almost 200hp on tap (even though it's pretty civil in the lower revs) doesn't help when you're hopping INTO a car with literally half the power output and expecting some "punch." And as you put, NORMALLY, a Honda would reach it's performance peak near the top of the tach, but the Fit, again, unlike the FG2, is NOT performance-minded. Sure, it's got very sporty handling for a car of its price, but it's core consumers are probably more interested in its gas-sipping mileage and "Magic Seat" than the fact that it has a torsion beam suspension (I'm not even sure most of its buyers know the difference between a torsion beam and independents...). So you've got the right idea, but leave the Civic Si to what it does and try to view the Fit for what it is: one of the best B-segment vehicles you can purchase in the United States.

Take it from a fellow 07 FA5 owner... ;)

On a tangent, I test drove a Mazda5 and despite having a lot more ponies than the Fit, didn't really love its power delivery either. The Fit is much smoother (AT vs. AT...and yes I realize the Mazda only has 4 gears to the Fit's 5)

Last edited by jbrisson; 04-05-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:11 PM
THe Fit's engine is much more about mid-range torque and throttle response than traditional B, D, and certainly K series engines have been in the past. Even my old 95 Civic D16 made better power on paper up to 7,200 rpm, yet in reality, the Fit is just as powerful.

So by saying it doesn't feel like a Honda, what you really mean is only true in reference to past engine design philosophies...which have changed a bit in the case of the L-series engine. Suggest reading this to get some interesting info on Honda's approach with the L: The Truly Amazing Honda Fit/Jazz

The limiting factor is a combination of the cam profile, head/flow, and different application of VTEC philosophy. That is what makes it feel so 'peppy' during normal driving, yet so limited with hi-rpm power. It, of course, can be modified to make hi-rpm power, but I think Honda's philosophy on this car was to optimize the power and throttle response for where daily drivers are at the most...low-to-mid rpms.

Suggest you take a look at the power curves being put out by the Jackson Racing guys with their 5 lb charger kits....look at the torque curve. I think it is very impressive considering it is a 1.5L engine. And of course there are tuners who have built the 1.5L into a hi-rpm monster.

Now not everyone wants to buy a car and then have to modify it to get what they want...so the SI is likely a better match if you're looking for a traditional hi-reving VTEC engine.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
My first impression gettting out of the parking lot is that it was pretty peppy in first and second gear. I was actually surprised.

This is sort of funny to me, because in my MT, first and second gears feel the slowest while I find it pulls alot better in 3rd and 4th. One thing I don't like about my Fit is the way 1st gear really falls flat once you get in the upper RPM's - but to me 3rd and 4th gear are adequate. :confused:

Old 04-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Banned
If you are keeping the Si and having the Fit as the wife's car...So be it! Get the car! If you're trading the Si in on a Fit, well, I have to say, I traded my 06 Evo in on the Fit and I miss the Evo...the power, the 6 speed, did I mention POWER? Buttttt....I am also saving around $500 in payments and insurance...and Lord knows what when it sips the 87 octane versus the 93!

Anyway, sorry for your disappointment. I am totally stoked with the car...Happy for everything. Although I am a little geeked out over the carpet. I have better carpet on my back porch! But oh well.

Take it easy.

Kris

Old 04-05-2007, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=sonorliteman;130543]THe Fit's engine is much more about mid-range torque and throttle response than traditional B, D, and certainly K series engines have been in the past. Even my old 95 Civic D16 made better power on paper up to 7,200 rpm, yet in reality, the Fit is just as powerful.

This is exactly what I am talking about. All the Hondas I drove in the past were of the peaky RPM variety. I know the Fit has almost half the power of my Si, but if the power of the Fit were peaky as well it would have helped in my decision of purchasing one.

Yes, I had a ZX3, and yes it had about 30 more ponies. But the ZX3 was also a heavier car then the Fit.

I know what I was getting into with the Fit, but I was just hoping that the driving experience was similar to past Hondas I have driven, even the non Si models.

I hope I didn't upset anyone with my comments. I just wanted to share my experience with you guys. I am more sad then disappointed, because I was really excited to get a Fit. And yes, I was going to trade in my Si for a Fit, but changed my mind. Now I have no clue what to do. My brain is screwed now!!!!!!!

Old 04-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Test drive other mini cars.. and then you will realized the Fit is best among them..:D

Old 04-05-2007, 06:32 PM
I've owned every Si ever made by Honda. The only Hondas that seamed Un-Honda to me were the 2002+ Civic Si's including both the new coupe and sedan. I got a Fit because it felt and drove more like a 91 series CRX/Civic Si than any other car in a long time.

I thought it was your wifes car anyway, who cares what you think! (channeling for your wife here) :D

I stopped considering other cars and even joined these forums. But know I believe I will not be getting a Fit. It just doesn't feel like a Honda.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Other "mini" cars I tested, and my ranking

1. Honda Fit
2. Nissan Versa
3. Ford Focus
4. Toyota Yaris

I drove all of these and the Fit was the best IMO.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:41 PM
SI Sedan

If your wife wants 2 more doors and more practicality, why not just trade the SI coupe for the SI sedan that just came out? I actually prefer the SI sedan. It's a lot more subtle and less LOOKATMELOOKATME than the coupe. Plus it's got the extra 2 doors.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
I know what you're talking about, the loss of power above 4500rpm. I felt it too when I first test drove the Fit. It just fell flat on its face at that point. I still got it because of it's versatility, handling and gas mileage. The first modification I did to my Fit was a Fujita cold air intake and it really woke it up above 4500rpm. I was surprised. It felt alot better and more Honda-like.
I agree that the Fit is the best sub-compact car. I test drove a Yaris and Versa and the Fit is much better than either of those. That's just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
Best of luck to you. I hope you will find what you need and want. Have you considered a Matrix or a Murano? Lots of room in there, and a little more power. Not as cool as the Fit, though.

Fits are not fast. They are FUNctional.
That being said, mine is in need of a somewhat louder exhaust note, enough to make my kids jealous.

The Fit isn't for everyone, but it does suit a certain funky, bohemian segment. Sort of like skydiving. Very cool, but not for everybody.
Personally, I don't want everyone to have one.

I sincerely hope you find the right car for yourself. We all deserve that.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Maybe a Honda Element instead of a FIT?

I own a 04 Honda Element EX auto and my has the 07 FIT Sport auto. If your wife wants more room and you want more power the Element will deliver. Very big inside and plenty of gitty up and go. The mileage is lower, which is the one big drawback.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:19 PM
You have an 06 SI, Forgive me as I am new to hondas from a MINI Cooper (divorce). Why not consider an '07 SI Sedan? 4 doors and the SI that you know?

Or maybe you are one of those purists who feel that the SI should be a hatch back only?

Old 04-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Test Drive... Sad Day

Sorry you were not happy with the Fit. I have driven the Yaris, Versa and Fit - Versa almost had me convinced to go down their road except I got on the internet and got a lot of complaints from Nissan owners over quality control issues on this car. My counsin is a motorhead and devoted Honda owner and so was my boss. A plastic surgeon making close to 1 million a year and he loves his Honda Civic. Decided that the Fit was the one and I loved the way it drove and handled. I have to wait until Mid-May but it will be worth it.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Cat :X

Old 04-06-2007, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
I'm pretty sure the Fit wasn't designed for Heel Toe maneuvers. it's a nice balanced car and on top of it's class in performance. Get an SC or turbo if you want more power.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thedeadpoet000
If your wife wants 2 more doors and more practicality, why not just trade the SI coupe for the SI sedan that just came out? I actually prefer the SI sedan. It's a lot more subtle and less LOOKATMELOOKATME than the coupe. Plus it's got the extra 2 doors.

In my opinion the Si sedan is ugly. The Si spoiler does not look good on the sedan. Actually, the rear of the Si sedan does not look as good as the coupe. Plus it's more money. If the 08 Fit would at least have the base civic's engine that would help.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:25 AM
So is the civic si the only Honda you have even owned?
I own the FIT and feel it is 100% Honda. It drives much like my d series in my del sol. I am curious what other Honda's you have owned to make a statement that the FIT does not feel like a Honda. I have owned a few and like to think I know a thing or two about Honda's ohh and BTW change the intake and exhaust cost you less than $400 and you will see an increase in the mid and high band.

79 accord sold
97 Del Sol sold
98 Civic sedan dx sold
02 rsx-s still own
04 rsx-s totaled
06 civic hybrid still own
07 FIT sport still own

Old 04-11-2007, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
Cold Air Intake / Cat-Back Exhaust / Lightweight Crank pulley all helped out the top end Greatly! It's much more enjoyable now!

But I know what you were referring to with the Honda's top end being usually better than their low end! I was disappointed as well at first, but after mods, its definitely better!

Old 04-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Honda Fit & Honda Civic Si are 2 different cars for 2 different purposes with 2 different price points. It's rather unfair to compare one to another base on "performance". I had a lot of choices in different price points before I brought my Honda Fit. I need a car that can haul stuffs. I want something "NEW". I want something I can live with inside and out. I want an economical car so I don't have to feel the pain at the gas station. I want a car with low price tag so I don't take out a huge loan when I already took out one for a house not too long before. When I found out Fit was the only one on my short list available for immediate purchase, I went for it. The Fit is exactly what I need now. I never regret this purchase decision. As for Ford Focus, I used to have one. It not only has more HP, it has more a lot more torque than Honda Fit. The Ford would definitely give you more feeling of power than Honda Fit ever would. Still, for normal daily commute, Honda Fit definitely has more than enough power for the job. If I ever feel the need for speed, well, that's what the "weekend" car is for.

Based on your description, I think you should go to your local Mazda dealer and check out a Mazdaspeed 3. It will definitely give you MORE power than Si with 4 door and a hatch.

Quick Reply: Test Drove a Fit:A Sad Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!