Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Tell me I made the right choice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Tell me I made the right choice!

Yesterday I bought my Fit. Being the weird slave to regret that I am, I woke up this morning wondering if I should have gotten the xA. I figure the Fit owner's forum is the best place to help cure my buyer's remorse.

I bought the base AT Fit in storm silver, no options, for $15,700 incl. destination ($455 over MSRP--ugh!). I plan to add a cargo cover and keyless entry at a Honda dealer that sells the stock accessories at discount, bringing the price to $15,965.

I could have had a similarly equipped xA (adding side airbags and keyless entry to the base) for $15,309. This would have come with steering-wheel-mounted radio control, an audio jack, and 4 more inches of backseat legroom, all big plusses for me.

Of course, the seats/cargo options in the Fit are way cool, but is it at the cost of comfort? And I don't know if I will ever get much more use out of the extra space.

And, the more I look at the Fit, the less I like the styling; the more I look at the xA, the more I like it.

So help me out, please! Tell me why the Fit (even the base model!) is fantastic and I will love it for the next 10 years I plan to own it!

(Oh, and if you could, maybe leave out talking about the xA's center-mounted gauges. I know, they're weird, but I think I could get used to them, and too much blood has already been spilt on this forum over that issue. I don't want to see any more dead horse pics!)

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2007, 01:17 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
so the deal is

this is why you dont buy a car without EXHAUSTING all your optopions...that being said i still dont have my fit im still looking at the new 2008 xb the yaris hatch (wich has been deamed un-fit hehe :D as it doesnt have enough cargo room) the xd looks interesting....but thats off topic i think that the fit shines through especially at the price you paid as the sport model it has your audio jack its way sportier looking than a xa i think if you got an auto it has padle shifters it will probably hold its value just as well as the scion and i think the fit is a bit cheaper to ensure that being said i really feel like they are comperable decisions drive your fit for a while and learn to love it and if all else fails drive it off a cliff and cash the insurance check and buy your xa :) the seller for me was cargo space so untill the new xb comes out (wich is probably out of the question cuz they morons put the tc engine in it and destroyed the gas milage! a prime example of why you dont let middle age americans try to make decisions for the youth) that being said i think you made the wrong choice by buying the base over the sport but i think you made a comperable choice buying the fit over the xa the cars are both very good and ive driven both. i think the honda really shives if you plan to do aftermarket mods to it because of the VAST aftermarket that supports honda :) so good luck and excelsior!!! im pretty sure i spelled that wrong but i really thaught it was completely nessesary

ps sorry for typos

Old 04-09-2007, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
maybe this was a bad idea....

Not to be choosy about free advice, but telling me I should have researched more and bought something else is not helping me feel better about a transaction I can't take back. :eek:

I did research pretty thoroughly. All the things I wrote in my post, I knew before I bought. I think buyer's remorse is just in my blood.

On the upside, just writing the post helped, so there's hope for me yet....:o

Old 04-09-2007, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jesicar
Not to be choosy about free advice, but telling me I should have researched more and bought something else is not helping me feel better about a transaction I can't take back. :eek:

I did research pretty thoroughly. All the things I wrote in my post, I knew before I bought. I think buyer's remorse is just in my blood.

On the upside, just writing the post helped, so there's hope for me yet....:o
I don't think it was a bad idea, but what are we going to tell you? You bought the top-rated b-segment vehicle on the market, it's not going to get much better than that. The Scion is a fine car, but the Fit is better, particularly in less immediately obvious ways like driving feel, manueverablity, etc. It's also a safer car, with safety features standard that the Scion doesn't even offer, like side-curtain airbags. Aftermarket is much wider too, as was mentioned above. Quite honestly, you're just feeling the pessure of having spent a large amount of money. I was the same when I got my Fit, and now when I think back, I don't regret it in the least and I like the car more and more every day. Had you bought an xA, you'd probably be at scionlife.com asking the same thing, so I say stop worrying and start enjoying and learning about the car you just bought. It just gets better from here.:)

Old 04-09-2007, 02:09 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
hehe

haha sorry if i came accross as an ass im just saying there were all kinds of options across the board to look at and there will always be another car.. everyone has buyers remorse sometimes im v prone to it as well especialy when its going to take me 5 years to fully buy something :) however i think that youll love your car and your doubts will go away in time i do however think the sport model would have better suited you by the way that you compare the xa and the fit but that cant be undone what can be done tho is you can buy the arm rest collumn or the new bezzle and buy a stereo that either has an aux jack or you can install an oem one from the factory by swaping out your center console :D there are other ways as well but dont worry youll like your car they are sick :)

Old 04-09-2007, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Hehe, I know I'm being silly. Thanks guys, that helps. :rolleyes:

Old 04-09-2007, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by s0x
haha sorry if i came accross as an ass im just saying there were all kinds of options across the board to look at and there will always be another car.. everyone has buyers remorse sometimes im v prone to it as well especialy when its going to take me 5 years to fully buy something :) however i think that youll love your car and your doubts will go away in time i do however think the sport model would have better suited you by the way that you compare the xa and the fit but that cant be undone what can be done tho is you can buy the arm rest collumn or the new bezzle and buy a stereo that either has an aux jack or you can install an oem one from the factory by swaping out your center console :D there are other ways as well but dont worry youll like your car they are sick :)
While I was waiting on my VBP 5MT Sport, I read the forum EXHAUSTIVELY and my emotions swung back & forth from OOOH, I can't wait!! to "Will I have this problem (Seat adjustment/mileage/peeling paint/etc. etc?) Finally, I decided that I had researched thoroughly, I LOVED the looks, the practicality, and so I would just QUIT worrying and going through "PRE-BUYERS REMORSE" and wait for my car to arrive and take one day at a time. I'M IN LOVE!!!! So far, 32mpg from 1st tank @ 647 miles. FIRST impressions are important: I didn't like the Yaris At ALL, the Xa looked weird (not to mention the unmentionable placement, lol) so, it was the Fit that "fit" me. Hope this helped!

Old 04-09-2007, 02:46 PM
mwr
5 Year Member
I drove the xA extensively before deciding on the Fit, and drove a neighbors' Versa as well. None of them are great looking, but the Fit is a more competent car in virtually every way. There's a reason it has won every comparison test against other cars in its class.

Last edited by mwr; 04-09-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by jesicar
I bought the base AT Fit in storm silver, no options, for $15,700 incl. destination ($455 over MSRP--ugh!). I plan to add a cargo cover and keyless entry at a Honda dealer that sells the stock accessories at discount, bringing the price to $15,965.

I could have had a similarly equipped xA (adding side airbags and keyless entry to the base) for $15,309. This would have come with steering-wheel-mounted radio control, an audio jack, and 4 more inches of backseat legroom, all big plusses for me.
OK - here goes.
Fit handling is better - you will appreciate this more and more as time goes on. Much more fun to drive IMO than the xA

So basically the differences as you noted are Steering wheel audio, the Aux jack and legroom.

1) Steering wheel audio - really not a big deal (you just think it is:D ). The Fit's stereo is easy to work and well within reach. You'll get used to it. It's maybe a very little plus on the xA.

2) Aux jack - yeah, that's a bummer that the Fit Base doesn't have it. There is a DIY here to put one in though, so it's possible at very little cost if you do the work yourself.

3) Rear legroom - really? The xA has more?? Sure didn't seem like it when I was in one. Maybe the numbers say so, but it sure didn't seem like that to me when I sat in back of one when I was looking vs. the Fit.
I'm 6'1" and can 'sit behind myself' very comfortably in the Fit.
Cargo flexibility is a no contest deal relative to the Scion. Plus with the seats up, there's a lot more room in the trunk with the Fit.

You made the right choice.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks again, guys. I knew I could count on you. Feeling much better now, and probably even more after I do some more driving!

Originally Posted by RedAndy
2) Aux jack - yeah, that's a bummer that the Fit Base doesn't have it. There is a DIY here to put one in though, so it's possible at very little cost if you do the work yourself.
This sounds very cool. I'll try searching for it. Do you happen to have a link?

Old 04-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Yesterday I bought my Fit. Being the weird slave to regret that I am, I woke up this morning wondering if I should have gotten the xA. I figure the Fit owner's forum is the best place to help cure my buyer's remorse.

Of course, the seats/cargo options in the Fit are way cool, but is it at the cost of comfort? And I don't know if I will ever get much more use out of the extra space.

And, the more I look at the Fit, the less I like the styling; the more I look at the xA, the more I like it.

So help me out, please! Tell me why the Fit (even the base model!) is fantastic and I will love it for the next 10 years I plan to own it!

(Oh, and if you could, maybe leave out talking about the xA's center-mounted gauges. I know, they're weird, but I think I could get used to them, and too much blood has already been spilt on this forum over that issue. I don't want to see any more dead horse pics!)

Thanks!
I was considering the xA, and I would have bought one if my Fit didn't come in this summer (I was waiting to see her for over a month, bah). So, I was in your situation at one point: buy a (more expensive) Fit or go for an xA.

The $600 price difference between the two models you were considering is negligible, honestly. It's like dithering over pennies - they're both around the same price. I was considering the sport versus a fully loaded xA, which, while the price difference was similar to the one you're talking about, it was a bit higher.

And, like you, I've experienced buyer's remorse over the Fit for various reasons, and wondered if I could have gotten other cars with more features for less money.

But, I'm glad I stuck with the Fit and got the car that I wanted - I love my car, and I think all the aforementioned benefits to its ownership are key.

I honestly think you made a great choice. The two cars are very similar in some respects, so it's not like you went and bought a totally different car out of the subcompact class - it sounds like those types of cars were the ones you really wanted, so at least you didn't go buy something totally off base like an SUV or a family sedan, lol.

Heh, if you really don't want the car, you could probably sell it for more than you owe, pay off your loan, and buy a leftover xA from somewhere. But, you shouldn't do that, because I bet you'll love the Fit after a bit.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:02 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JessW1982
I was considering the xA, and I would have bought one if my Fit didn't come in this summer (I was waiting to see her for over a month, bah). So, I was in your situation at one point: buy a (more expensive) Fit or go for an xA.

The $600 price difference between the two models you were considering is negligible, honestly. It's like dithering over pennies - they're both around the same price. I was considering the sport versus a fully loaded xA, which, while the price difference was similar to the one you're talking about, it was a bit higher.

And, like you, I've experienced buyer's remorse over the Fit for various reasons, and wondered if I could have gotten other cars with more features for less money.

But, I'm glad I stuck with the Fit and got the car that I wanted - I love my car, and I think all the aforementioned benefits to its ownership are key.

I honestly think you made a great choice. The two cars are very similar in some respects, so it's not like you went and bought a totally different car out of the subcompact class - it sounds like those types of cars were the ones you really wanted, so at least you didn't go buy something totally off base like an SUV or a family sedan, lol.

Heh, if you really don't want the car, you could probably sell it for more than you owe, pay off your loan, and buy a leftover xA from somewhere. But, you shouldn't do that, because I bet you'll love the Fit after a bit.
ya thats what i was trying to say ;D im sad tho my 1995 talon/eclipse gets 33 mpg average and you guys are only getting 32 mpg that is so far my big worrie but i do like literally 95 percent highway driving so im going to assume that i would get at least 40 mpg if i had a fit

Old 04-09-2007, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
aux jack install link

I found the link for the aux jack DIY mentioned by RedAndy, in case anyone reading is interested:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ht=stereo+jack

Old 04-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Hi jesicar...I never had buyer's remorse, altho I picked my fifth choice car & didn't buy my 1st choice...Honda Fit. Of course, my reasons are completely different from yours. The main reason was I had been waiting for a perfected(reliable) CVT trannie. As wonderful as the Fit has turned out to be, my CVT (in my great Dodge Caliber) has made up for all Fit's advantages.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:50 PM
I regret that I did not get a 2007 Miata GT with the hardtop since I never even used the cargo space, but when I think of it I would not be able to afford the Miata since I did not want car payments... but the Miata is so much more fun :D

Old 04-09-2007, 10:22 PM
YOU MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE
i could have gotten a civic si for close to the same price and not much more of a payment increase but i'm more than happy with the fit plenty of room plus my daughter loves it and thats what matters the most

Old 04-09-2007, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
i actually got the buyer's remorse as i was signing the paperwork (more like a billion butterflies dueling to the death in the pit of my stomach).

turns out it was just the fact that i had purchased my first brand new car with a term of 72 months, kind of like a commitment-phobe :) also that i originally intended on a base in blue and got a sport in red.

but every day i drive it i'm glad i chose it. and each time i see the blue, i gloat about how much sweeter the red is, heh.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Okay.. YES You DID..:D

Old 04-10-2007, 07:25 PM
I would thoroughly suggest attending some of the local meets in your area and get involved with people who own this vehicle. We can talk about how much you're going to love this car til we're blue in the face, but I think it's important to understand what this car has to offer and you'll more often times get a better understanding when you're around people who feel the same way about their cars. Surround yourself within the community and make some new friends. Plus, I'm jealous of you Cali people with your warm weather....

Old 04-11-2007, 01:09 AM
There are a few of us in Nor Cal with FIT's. I have mine in the bay alot:D

Quick Reply: Tell me I made the right choice!