Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2007 Fit vs 2008 Scion xB

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
2007 Fit vs 2008 Scion xB

Ever since I test drove a fit the day after they were released (4/21/06), I've wanted a blue fit sport auto. I have a huge raise coming in October, so I'll probably wait until then to buy. The problem is, last night I was reading Automobile magazine and saw a spot about the 2008 Scion xB. I did some research on it, and I really really like the car. To me, it has almost everything the fit has (except more seat modes, better mileage, and 5 spd auto w/ paddle shifters) and more (traction control, more power, more back seat and cargo room, 16s (I'd opt for the real rims, not the hubs). I also really like the update to the xB dash, although the center layout is still kind of off putting. I'm going to try and test drive one soon (I've test drove the fit twice), and compare. What I need you all to do, is set me straight, and tell me why I should choose the fit. Every car I've owned has been a honda, and I'd really like to stick with the brand, but my wife's corolla is no slouch either. Lead me on the right path oh FitFreak members!

Oh yeah, I pretty much like the styling on these equally well. Both are great looking cars. Also, price shouldn't be much of a factor, because the scion is more, but I get the Toyota employee discount since my uncle works for them.

Last edited by SheepNutz; 06-10-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Banned
Scion XB ended with 2006 production. The new models are XD. With the larger Corolla engine you get a little more horsepower than with the Fit, and that's good, but your fuel economy will suffer (that's bad), and you may not even feel any benefit from the larger engine due to weight and bulk.

I have a 2006 Scion XB, and its handling made our Chevy Astro van (heavily modified to improve handling) feel like a bus. Then I bought my 2007 Fit Sport, and its handling makes the Scion feel like a bus. Without the new XD to compare with, it would be hard to insist that the Fit is better than the Scion, but with the larger size and heavier weight of the Scion, I am guessing that handling, power, and fuel economy will all be worse than the Fit.

Good luck with whatever you pick.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Umm, no. There is a new xB for 2008. Go to scion.com to check it out. It's totally redesigned. Still box-like, but with rounded corners. Shares the same engine with the tC. Here's a link to some pics:
Autoblog

Also, here is an edmunds.com side-by-side comparison of the two:
null

Last edited by SheepNutz; 06-10-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
Umm, no. There is a new xB for 2008. Go to scion.com to check it out. It's totally redesigned. Still box-like, but with rounded corners. Shares the same engine with the tC. Here's a link to some pics:
Autoblog

Also, here is an edmunds.com side-by-side comparison of the two:
null
I have seen these exact same photos on a thread here on fitfreak.net, and they were identified as an XD. Scion also said on their web site back in '06 that all Scion models have a planned market life of 3 years, with the '06 XB being the third year. Our dealer also told us that there would be no '07 XB because the model name would change.

If Scion has changed their minds about model names, oh well, that's OK with me. My suggestions about the comparison between the new Scion BOX vs. the '08 Fit are just my guess based upon unverified assumptions.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
There is an xD model coming out, but it looks to me more like a longer xA. It looks kind of nice as well, I might have to check it out. I guess it's all going to come down to which one I like to drive the most. Here is the xD on Scion's website: Scion xD

Old 06-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
lol it doesn't matter what people on fitfreak or magazines called it, it's still the new scion xB. the new xB has lots more power and more space, but remember that the new xB is a lot bigger than the last. now, the xB isn't a cute little box anymore, it's more like a honda element. i would still prefer to drive a smaller car like the fit. whatever car you choose, you can't lose since toyota/scion and honda are both very reputable companies.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:50 PM
According to the Scion website, the new xB weighs over 3K# and has a mileage rating of 22/28 (I think Buick is making claims better than that). It's power/weight ratio come out to .051HP/lb... the Fit has .044, so in spite of the xB's portly specs, it does have a power advantage... probably not enough to notice.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:55 PM
it IS an xB ;) xD is a new model seperate from xB......the xB just looks like an old xB that got in a boxing match and got all puffy.

motor is out of a scion tC too.....so its the 2.4L 170ish HP motor......bigger.....rounder......uglier hahahah

Old 06-11-2007, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
Ground, or Next-Day Air?

I believe only the xA has been replaced, is this not right? By the xD.

To me, the XB looks like a small UPS truck. I know it's a great little UPS truck, but still, damn. I am a huge fan of ToyotaSlashScion. But damn. If I had an xB, I would get a UPS logo to put on there. And I would still enjoy the $hit out of it, make no mistake.

When I bought my Fit, I was shopping for a Scion XA. Found out it wasn't available with cruise, and a couple of other things, so thank God, I stopped by a Honda dealership and test-drove a Fit. After that, no other car was interesting to me. The practicality of the "magic" seats, combined with the awesome fun factor, made it the right car for me.

If you stay with Honda or Toyota/Scion, you will get a fine vehicle. Those two companies don't make a bad car. See which one suits your needs and BUY it!

Old 06-11-2007, 07:24 PM
ive driven the new 08 xBs...the gas pedal is REALLY sensative to me...but i still prefer the Fit

Old 06-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
The new Xd looks like a Chevy HHR. Gross IMO. Its huge and bubblie (that a word?)

Old 06-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
The new Xd looks like a Chevy HHR. Gross IMO. Its huge and bubblie (that a word?)
bubbly.
Same opinion here.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:11 PM
It's simple for me. The new xB lost everything that was cool about the first xB. It doesn't look as cool, it has less room, it gets WAY worse gas mileage and it weighs 600 lbs more!

I chose a Fit over the 1st gen xB so the 2nd gen stands no chance.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Ever since I test drove a fit the day after they were released (4/21/06), I've wanted a blue fit sport auto. I have a huge raise coming in October, so I'll probably wait until then to buy. The problem is, last night I was reading Automobile magazine and saw a spot about the 2008 Scion xB. I did some research on it, and I really really like the car. To me, it has almost everything the fit has (except more seat modes, better mileage, and 5 spd auto w/ paddle shifters)
The new xoB is heavier and has the standard Toyota 2.4L seen in the Camry, Tacoma, TC, and many more. There's no chance what so ever of it obtaining better milage than the Fit.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by watermelonman
The new xoB is heavier and has the standard Toyota 2.4L seen in the Camry, Tacoma, TC, and many more. There's no chance what so ever of it obtaining better milage than the Fit.
You missed a key word there, except.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by manxman
bubbly.
Same opinion here.
Haha, thanks.
But yea. I saw one when I was at a Lollicup Meet. It was bad :(
Just ugly on wheels with doors.

Id rather have the toaster.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Haha, thanks.
But yea. I saw one when I was at a Lollicup Meet. It was bad :(
Just ugly on wheels with doors.

Id rather have the toaster.
its like the hummer raped the prius, and the xD was the ugly offspring. lol

Old 06-12-2007, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
You missed a key word there, except.
I read that but it is ambiguous, and I somehow assumed that Toyota added more seat modes and a better transmission to the xoB. Seeing how that's not the case, well, it sounds like the new one just plain stinks.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:14 PM
I just (45 minutes ago!) drove home our new red fit sport. It was a close decision between the fit and the xB. My wife and I actually like the styling of the xB a little better than the fit, and the xB has way more pull from the bigger engine. The deciders for the fit were the mileage, the excellent suspension, and the feature:price ratio. If we had bought the xB it would have required an immediate $3-5k of upgrades to have the same features that are included as standard on the fit like alloy wheels, spoiler, floor mats!!!, suspension upgrade. The only thing I really wish I could have on the fit from the xB is the paint color Blackberry Crush Metallic (who comes up with these names?!?)

FYI. this Car and Driver article is a good explanation of how the window sticker mpg estimates have changed for 2008 model year cars. The 22/28 listed for the '08 xB is comparable to 25/31 for '07 and earlier cars.

We test drove several other cars: xB, xA, rabbit, mazda3 wagon, and the fit is definitely the best car in the segment, especially for the price.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:25 PM
I think the new 08 xB is way cooler than the 1st gen xB. I like the rounded corners versus the very clunky looking box. However, it's still a big box, and that's one thing I hated about the ugly xB. The interiors are also very cool. I love the large space. If only Toyota had the mind to meld the cool interiors and space of the xB with the coolness exteriors and the great mileage/handling of the Fit Sport...

However, with the 22/28 MPG, you might as well get a Honda Element. I mean, one of the primary reasons for buying a Fit is the 31/37 MPG.

A Fit or the new 08 xB? I guess it depends on your needs. If you have a big family and have need for some serious carting, then the xB would be a good choice. If you want the room and to have some crazy fun driving, I'd go with the Fit. Even with a bigger engine, I can't imagine the new xB 08 being even close to having the great handling and the fun factor that the Fit has.

Quick Reply: 2007 Fit vs 2008 Scion xB