Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

The new Toyota Corolla and Matrix

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Retired Moderator
The new Toyota Corolla and Matrix

SEMA Show: Spies first to show the new Corolla and Matrix extreme makeover - AutoSpies Auto News

Just ran across these pics on Auotspies! The Corolla looks much better then the current model, although we dont get any good angles of the car..And the Matrix looks nice aswell, it looks a bit like the xD but nicer IMO..I know these cars arent stock BTW, ive just never seen them before, and they looked intresting!

Old 10-31-2007, 04:33 PM
Retired Moderator
All the pics that are in that link are 09's that have been modified for SEMA. The production ones will not look like the ones pictured. Here are the actual vehicles:

SEMA 2007: Toyota Corolla XRS for 2009

SEMA 2007: Toyota Matrix XRS Revealed

Old 10-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Retired Moderator
I have to say, i really like the exterior of both these cars, espicially that Matrix! The interior.....Thats a diffrent story...

Old 11-02-2007, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
i like the interior on the matrix, but the corolla looks a bit too much like the old version, which isn't that great to being with.

the matrix is rather hadsome though, i just don' t like toyota's inability to have a sporting identity. I would have liked to seen an xrs engine only slighlty bigger than the gts version. instead they took the easy way out and slapped the camry's engine in it.

just like the mazda 3, the japs have proven that they to can get a barely 30 mpg rating in a small car.:D

but the matrix does look really nice.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:43 PM
The Corolla looks like a mini Camry to me and I like the looks of the Matrix. On looks alone I would get the Matrix over the Vibe. I'm liking the improvements on the interior so far. Sliding center console, in-glass antenna, upper dash storage bin and an actual 115v AC plug on the Matrix.

With the concern of oil prices and being "green" it makes me wonder why these new Toyota/Scion cars, sans the Matrix, are getting lower fuel economy. The mentality that the new cars have to be more powerful than the outgoing models? As time passes is the road terrain getting more rugged? I don't know but I don't like it.

I never thought I would see that racial slur in a community that likes their cars being "JDM" :rolleyes:

Last edited by HapaLynai; 11-02-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by HapaLynai
With the concern of oil prices and being "green" it makes me wonder why these new Toyota/Scion cars, sans the Matrix, are getting lower fuel economy. The mentality that the new cars have to be more powerful than the outgoing models? As time passes is the road terrain getting more rugged? I don't know but I don't like it.
I agree...
in addition I was quite disappointed when the newest xB came out with the tC motor in it and a serious weight gain... took all of the original character out of the xB... Now the same thing is happening with the Corolla? Ok, if this is the same 2.4 thats in the tC (which im assuming it is), then i dont see what they are thinking! The Corolla's have always gotten fantastic gas mileage out of small motors... now its a "big 2.4L" that will net mid-20mpg's and its got quite a good bit LESS horsepower than the competing Civic SI's, Nissan SE-R's and even less than the old 170hp 2zz powered Corolla XRS' (granted there is a big torque increase)... and for some reason, i SERIOUSLY doubt that it has lost weight... *sigh* Sometimes i just dont get what car companies are thinking...

Last edited by richard_rsp; 11-02-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HapaLynai
I never thought I would see that racial slur in a community that likes their cars being "JDM" :rolleyes:

which racial slur are you referring to?:confused: the fact that i abbreviated 'japanese' with 'japs'? oh the internet is a biatch.

Last edited by eldaino; 11-02-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by richard_rsp
I agree...
in addition I was quite disappointed when the newest xB came out with the tC motor in it and a serious weight gain... took all of the original character out of the xB... Now the same thing is happening with the Corolla? Ok, if this is the same 2.4 thats in the tC (which im assuming it is), then i dont see what they are thinking! The Corolla's have always gotten fantastic gas mileage out of small motors... now its a "big 2.4L" that will net mid-20mpg's and its got quite a good bit LESS horsepower than the competing Civic SI's, Nissan SE-R's and even less than the old 170hp 2zz powered Corolla XRS' (granted there is a big torque increase)... and for some reason, i SERIOUSLY doubt that it has lost weight... *sigh* Sometimes i just dont get what car companies are thinking...

while i agree on what the competition is putting out hp wise, take the inclusion of a bigger motor with a grain of salt; the brand new 1.8 from the xd is still available, only the xrs gets this motor. no one is calling out the honda for putting a so so gas mileage performance engine in the si, thus, why they have the r18.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
the matrix is rather hadsome though, i just don' t like toyota's inability to have a sporting identity. I would have liked to seen an xrs engine only slighlty bigger than the gts version. instead they took the easy way out and slapped the camry's engine in it.
I have an '03 Matrix XRS (1st year, highest HP) and I'd take a 2.4L Camry engine any day. The 1.8L just doesn't have enough torque to move out from a stop and you need to rev it fairly high and slip the clutch (worn clutches is a common XRS issue). The XRS does real well after 40mph though. A 2.4L engine, 5M transmission, same head/legroom, folding rear and FRONT seats - sounds like a winner to me (even though I still like the current styling better:D ).

Old 02-03-2008, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zap2504
I have an '03 Matrix XRS (1st year, highest HP) and I'd take a 2.4L Camry engine any day. The 1.8L just doesn't have enough torque to move out from a stop and you need to rev it fairly high and slip the clutch (worn clutches is a common XRS issue). The XRS does real well after 40mph though. A 2.4L engine, 5M transmission, same head/legroom, folding rear and FRONT seats - sounds like a winner to me (even though I still like the current styling better:D ).
I like the current styling also. I saw a 09 Matrix today (yawn), and I ran away. Maybe it was what I ate...I just did not like it. The proportions seemed unbalanced...all head with a little body:confused:

Last edited by babyfit; 02-03-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by richard_rsp
I agree...
i agree with all the weight gain...but did the old corolla really have any character to loose?:rotfl:

Old 02-03-2008, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
exterior is pretty decent for the new corolla, i see a lil bit of the camry in it...but its inerior is bleh...I wanna see the XRS tho, the body kit makes a huge difference for this car, however, this has to be somewhat disappointing that their XRS model cannot even get close to 200 hp...i dunno if ppl are gonna pay more for the XRS when there are Civic Si's similar in price range and far more performance gains

Old 02-03-2008, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jeimusu86
exterior is pretty decent for the new corolla, i see a lil bit of the camry in it...but its inerior is bleh...I wanna see the XRS tho, the body kit makes a huge difference for this car, however, this has to be somewhat disappointing that their XRS model cannot even get close to 200 hp...i dunno if ppl are gonna pay more for the XRS when there are Civic Si's similar in price range and far more performance gains

true, but you also gotta realize torque is more important to some people than horsepower is, and the xrs engine has it in spades.

but even then, its lack of breath on top end and the obvious extra weight will probably still result in a slower 0-60 time than the si.

even though, i dunno if toyota is really going to market either of these as true top of the line sport compacts. they aren't really like the GTI or SI in that regard...more like the mazda 3 hatch and sedan with the big 2.3 in it. not as pokey or frugal as the base models, just with more content and extra zip.

i've seen the interior of the xrs...i didn't like the lighter silver seats in contrast with the rest of the interior. some folks (edmunds) have said that while the design is nicer, the interior materials have gone down in quality.

now if toyota continues to support these models with trd parts, they make a strong argument for someone wanting to fool around with them, but not have to wait for the warranty to expire. Trd makes suspension, intake,exhaust, and even superchargers for their cars, so while it wont be the end all of performance, it will be a nice way for folks to tinker with their brand new car.