Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

My Fit made me sell my Lotus!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:08 PM
My Fit made me sell my Lotus!

The little Honda reminded me how a small under-powered car could still be fun. I loved my Elise, but the speed and impracticallity of it made it a difficult car to have sitting in the garage collecting dust between track days.

So I sold it last week and bought a nice counter-part to the Honda, an '05 Miata M edition with only 28,000 miles. Fun, good mileage, underpowered, and puts a smile on my face. Between my two cars, I've got a bit (just a tiny bit :p )more hp than the Lotus, so all is good.

The bonus question is which one gets the supercharger :vtec: ?

Mark

Old 05-02-2008, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit for sure!

Old 05-02-2008, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Grats man. If I had the room for one (and money) i'd totally get a Miata to turn into a track car. Seen a couple of the Spec Miata races and they look fun as hell.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by FITrunner
Grats man. If I had the room for one (and money) i'd totally get a Miata to turn into a track car. Seen a couple of the Spec Miata races and they look fun as hell.
that's my goal with the Miata. My TEIN coil-overs just arrived yesterday, picking out some track wheels and will see how she handles. Once the handling is good, FI will probably be next :D . Used Miata's are pretty damned cheap..even with all the mods I plan on doing, the total cost will probably be under 10k.

Mark

Old 05-02-2008, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Which one is better: Honda Beat or Miata M?

Old 05-02-2008, 05:00 PM
C_O
miata FTW :hyper:

in terms of handling, while the Fit is fun, it will never out wiggle a miata.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:34 PM
As the cars sit, the Fit probably out sticks the Miata. But we're talking 13 y/o shocks, weak tires and no alignment tuning at all. Even so, it's a lot of fun getting the back end out on a RWD car even if the limits are lower.

Once the coil-overs are on, I'll get the alignment setup probably and it should handle the way it was designed.

Power-wise, the Miata is weaker down low, but loves to rev where the Fit is gasping. Nod to the Miata for fun factor but harder to beat the minivans on the on-ramps and changing lanes unless it's revved out.

This week I've purchased and brought home a new dishwasher, and delivered my Lotus tracks rims/tires using the Fit. Everything went in without a problem. can't do that in a Miata. But when the sun is out and the chores are done, can't drop the top on a Fit. I'm fortunate to be able to have both in the garage...lots of fun in their own way but not replacements for each other.

Mark

Old 05-02-2008, 06:19 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Why!

for the love of god why would you take your track car (wich id loooove to have) and trade it in for a mazda BARF! :p just my opinion buy the fits a dd for a reason :) its so that shit sitting in your garage doesnt have to be a pile and 5 years from now your miata will be worth about 5 grand and that lotus will have held its value terrible choice imho but have fun in your new whip

Old 05-02-2008, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by s0x
for the love of god why would you take your track car (wich id loooove to have) and trade it in for a mazda BARF! :p just my opinion buy the fits a dd for a reason :) its so that shit sitting in your garage doesnt have to be a pile and 5 years from now your miata will be worth about 5 grand and that lotus will have held its value terrible choice imho but have fun in your new whip
LOL ... True statement there sOx but remember after 5 years of beating at the track, chances are you are also plunking down more money for the Lotus maintenance. Miata's are solid and cheap track cars to have and maintain comparatively I think.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Retired Moderator
Haha wow, traded the Lotus for a Mazda!
SC the Fit, not the stupid Mazda LOL!

Tyler

Old 05-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by s0x
The Lotus was a fun ride and I got lots of track time out of it. But they are depreciating like crazy too. Fortunately after 15 months only cost me 3500, but that doesn't include the cost of insurance, maintenance, and the risk of damage to that fragile fiberglass shell. Even so, it was the best $3500 I've ever spent on a car.

I paid 6500 for the Miata so not too worred about it going down in value. And I can beat the snot out of it, rebuild it, and still have lots of $'s in the bank and fun for the $'s. To quote some mag writer...it's more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Other than on the track, the Lotus was a pita. But the Miata is very happy putting around for errands or flying through twisties.

And the extra cash in the bank from the Lotus isn't such a bad thing right now.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
damn...i thought those elise's were cars that were truely valued by a
lotus enthusiast. would ignore resale value to some regular joe and jane,
no?

unless you still owed on that car and was becoming a money pit. :confused:

anyway, congrats on the miata. :)

Old 05-03-2008, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
dude honda beat ftw. theres one in san diego

Old 05-04-2008, 10:01 PM
I think there are many people on here with that combo. I have a 91, and if you think that the car handles good now, throw some FM sways on it, and try to get that thing to roll. Aint gonna happen, and as far as the acceleration thing, just keep it above 4k, and you will forget about that. :-)
congrats
Andrew

Old 05-05-2008, 04:44 PM
if the fit is your daily and the mx5 is your track star.. throw it in the miata

Old 05-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by prad0_G
if the fit is your daily and the mx5 is your track star.. throw it in the miata
if I do pop for a supercharger, it would most likely be the Miata. Hope to throw the TEIN's on it this weekend, get some track rubber, get it re-aligned and try and find a track day out at Streets of Willow soon. Depending on how much I miss the HP will determine what I do next.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
hmmmmm.....screw it. just SC them both xD

Old 05-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Mark16q
if I do pop for a supercharger, it would most likely be the Miata. Hope to throw the TEIN's on it this weekend, get some track rubber, get it re-aligned and try and find a track day out at Streets of Willow soon. Depending on how much I miss the HP will determine what I do next.

It just doesnt make sense to me if you purchassed the fit for its everything it stands for... reliability,mpg,and beauty etc (assuming)

and having a track whore and hook up the fit instead with performance..
i would just make that fit jDm TyTe! sexy her up with wax..

then make that miata ****ing rip ass with vicks :cool:

Old 05-05-2008, 11:35 PM
congrats on the new buy!

Old 05-05-2008, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
i would definitely s/c the Miata rather than the Fit. Although it would be nice to pull hard in a Fit and show up people in it. It really cant beat the feeling of F/I in a RWD roadster! Just be careful out there :D