Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Design vs. Bling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 02:19 AM
Design vs. Bling?

Alright, I am posting this because I have a few questions about "ricers". What does it mean? Do any change to a stock car merely for aesthetic value make it a ricer? Does it have to look bad to be a ricer, or is it anything that has that "bling" look? I looked at this website (anti-rice.com) and it seems as though anything but performance upgrades makes your car a ricer. I am installing subs in my fit, and I upgraded the speakers, does that make me a ricer? Is being a ricer a particularly bad thing? I like certain lighting and modifications to the interior of the Fit because I find it more pleasing visually, and yet to some that means that I am just a ricer who got too caught up in "pimp my ride". I guess I just want an explanation, and I feel like some nerdy white boy, but I wanna know damnit!

Old 06-06-2008, 02:29 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
hahah different people will tell you differently. but i think it's safe to say that a "ricer" is: anybody who modifies his/her car in a way that oneself believes to be foul and repulsive. so a ricer is a pretty fluid term. unless the car is SO FOUL and SO REPULSIVE that almost literally every single person who lays eyes on it agrees that it is SUPER LAME. and it's kind of a trend thing too. some cars that were considered tastefully modified 20 years ago might be considered rice today.

i wasn't going to respond in this thread but your username is the same as my little brother's handle in some other program. either instant messenger or a game or whatever. weird.

Last edited by doctordoom; 06-06-2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Historically, it was a simpler idea of incorrectness: Trying to make your modestly-powered car look like it's a fast sports compact. This included the obvious, like appropriating decals and badging that don't belong, massive tail wings and exhausts, and doing silly things like miming a manual transmission with an automatic shifter (picture a driver at idle, moving their shifter hand right and left like some people do in Neutral). At that time, "ricer" (*) was a term that was barely hiding its racist undertones. To clarify, critics said it was about the car that was doing the posturing, which was the typically the Japanese sports compact, not about the driver. On the other hand, it is also a competitive resentment and xenophobia of American domestic pride versus import econoboxes.

I saw one of the earliest web sites on the subject, when this trend was seen mostly around San Diego. Since then, the term "ricer" has taken off and become diluted with ideas about what it is. This has been accompanied by the growth in choices in car modification. I would suggest avoiding the term altogether and just say what you mean. "That car looks ridiculous," is an honest and direct opinion, but on forums such a thing could be misinterpreted as a flame.

* - People use euphemisms all the time to say what they mean without actually saying it so that others can't call them on it for political correctness. Using staple foods associated with a race instead of mentioning the race is a popular way of skirting around racial sensitivity: Rice = Asian; Curry = Indian; Potato = Caucasian; And so on. The quicker the wit, the more disingenuous you can become.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:22 AM
As with any insult its meaning is less important then the intent of the speaker. In theory a ricer is a person who adds decals, body kits etc. to make their otherwise stock japanese manufactured car appear fast rather then adding true performance modifications. In practice it's really just one insecure person trying to build themselves up by tearing someone else down. My car is a "real" sports car, yours is just a ricer.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
It's your car do whatever the hell you want to it.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:54 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Everyone has their OWN definition of "Rice" As long as you like your car thats what matters.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
Everyone has their OWN definition of "Rice" As long as you like your car thats what matters.
I agree 100%.

Tyler

Old 06-09-2008, 12:45 PM
TRUE DIZZLE...before i bought my car i didnt really care for Honda much but the more i got into cars the more i understood that Honda takes alot of time and effort into their cars just as those companies do with there aftermarket parts for us to use to improve the performance, aerodynamics, handling, and looks.
I agree with a lot of what these guys are saying and that it doesnt matter what others think unless you value certian peoples opinions. So far alot of cars on here are pretty tastefull so you cant go wrong with any mods you do bc you will see something you like and will want to mimic it, i admit to that.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:53 PM
The whole "ricer" thing is stupid.

Me personally.... I'd rather key the side of my car then do some of the popular mods. I big wings and stickers... no thanks, when it comes to interior... its always better left stock, rebadging and red emblems... LOL, Random colored wheels.... ugliest thing I've ever seen in my life, no car looks good with neon green rims.

But again, thats just me, If YOU have an old beat up "type r" civic hatch with chrome tail lights, a big wing, pink rims, random interiors pieces spray painted baby blue to match pep boys seat covers and your I <3 JDM sticker thats crocked in the corner of your window next to a cartoon bear (that represents how cool it is to be a pedophile :rolleyes:) and YOU like it, more power to you.... I would look you and point and laugh after I finished throwing up in my mouth but who gives a shit what I think... honestly, why would anyone care what some guy on the internet thinks of them or there car? Obviously people have different taste in cars and modifying cars.

No matter what your not gonna please everybody. Mod your car to your liking, if the opinions of others concern you then just leave it stock cause your wasting your time.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
I don't think I could have said it any better & agree w/ what Chris is saying!

Old 06-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by gofastredfit
I don't think I could have said it any better & agree w/ what Chris is saying!

"....AND THAT'S THE WAY IT IS...."
-Run DMC

Old 06-09-2008, 04:52 PM

for instance in these pictures thats just ridiculous ...n stupid....n idiotic...n nevermind you get it...

Old 06-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
there seems to be 2 main groups (rice and import tuned cars) but most rednecks
can't tell between rice and tuned imports so they call any imports with aftermarket
bits "rice."

bascially when you start seeing blonds in red pontiacs you are in their
corn territory. watever that means... it's all stupid. it's like 2008 vs 1980.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by Darkstars
honestly, why would anyone care what some guy on the internet thinks of them or there car? Obviously people have different taste in cars and modifying cars.
But they do care. There is an economy built around car modification and many car forums are boosted (if not dominated) by the discussion and vanity of car modification. I'm skeptical and I would suggest that only about one-third of car modification is for self-enjoyment. The rest of it is driven by the need to show others what you have done; This has been accelerated through the range and exposure of the internet.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:51 AM
I dunno about those guys who put on a set cheap spare tires, buy cheap air/oil filters. Then they go drilling holes in their mufflers just to change the sound. And then try to race you by reving thier engines next to you. I do not know what goes into the mind of some of these people. But I believe these guys were the first to be labeled ricers. The sad part is...they're still some around.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bryanback

everyone owned with this post.:)

i agree everyone has a right to do what they want to to their cars, but that leaves them subject to the 'ricer' comments.

and its true, some people will sling the term regardless of how it looks, just as long as its an import. (again, these people are the ones who need to take a look at the wiki article as most of the pics shown are dodge neons. the term can apply to anything.)

tastes are different, but we all know rice when we see it.:)

Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=Darkstars;335204]
no car looks good with neon green rims.

ha ha seconded! i don't care how 'jdm' you are.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:57 PM
It really is about individual expression... what works for me might not work for you. I guess it's kinda' like clothes... in the sense that just because I like how something looks might be all wrong for you.
As far as the people that troll around talking sh!t about everyone else's car... there will NEVER be a shortage of that!

There are some things that are universally known to be tacky (like the cheap Buick vents that shows up on everything now-a-days) but that guy likes it.... BOTTOM LINE: just use your best judgment!!;)

~Rob

Last edited by gofastredfit; 06-12-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by ToFit2Quit
I dunno about those guys who put on a set cheap spare tires, buy cheap air/oil filters. Then they go drilling holes in their mufflers just to change the sound. And then try to race you by reving thier engines next to you. I do not know what goes into the mind of some of these people. But I believe these guys were the first to be labeled ricers. The sad part is...they're still some around.

I agree buying an Napa oil filter rather oem makes you a ricer, so does taking a piece of pipe and putting a filter on it... you know, making soemthing identical to K&N but costs you $40 instead of $200 becasue it doesn't have an emblem... thats the perfect description of ricer

/sarcasm

Old 06-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by Darkstars
I agree buying an Napa oil filter rather oem makes you a ricer, so does taking a piece of pipe and putting a filter on it... you know, making soemthing identical to K&N but costs you $40 instead of $200 becasue it doesn't have an emblem... thats the perfect description of ricer

/sarcasm
Hahaha, spend $40? You can spend $0, and not need a filter at all... who needs one anyways, right? They just create bottlenecks in the system, that's all.

Hahaha, enough with the sarcasm...
I agree that brand names are overated at times, but what I really meant was... there's no reason to go around trying to race everyone...I'm talking about those guys who pretend that they're so cool, sees a stocked car and provokes the stock car to race. It really confuses me why they would do that. *SHURGS* Also, some weird ass guy in a pickup truck with rims started reving at my previous stocked car once. Then took off and acted like he was racing me. If that's not a ricer mentality?

Quick Reply: Design vs. Bling?