Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Spoon NSX-R coming stateside

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Spoon NSX-R coming stateside

holy mother of pearl Batman
Acura NSX: Acura NSX-R To Come Statestide Causing Fanboys To Swoon For Spoon

Old 08-26-2008, 11:28 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
yup. i heard about this a couple of weeks ago. pretty awesome. i want one so damn bad!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:44 AM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
WHAT?!?!?!

So you could walk into a dealership and say i want Spoon to make me a NSX-R and give them 100 G's and call it a day?

I would shit bricks if i saw a NSX-R in the showroom of a Acura dealership

-Ricky

Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GD3-Fit
WHAT?!?!?!

So you could walk into a dealership and say i want Spoon to make me a NSX-R and give them 100 G's and call it a day?

I would shit bricks if i saw a NSX-R in the showroom of a Acura dealership

-Ricky

MSRP is 60k :D

Spoon-Fed NSX: Tuner Re-Creates NSX Type R for the U.S.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:54 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gotfitted
no. honda of america will have little or nothing to do with it. im not sure on all the details but spoon gets major support from honda of japan and will be sending these cars to shops like opak for the conversion. id assume you would have to go through opak for these cars but im not sure how they will be distributed.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
I guess I just don't get the whole JDM thing. Or I am not as hardcore. (old age does that to you) While I am not against the conversion, my reaction is "why"? $60-70K to have an R conversion, but after all is said and done, its STILL not an actual R model, its still JUST a conversion, a fake if you want to look at it that way.

I've got an R spoiler on my NSX and Im going to get an R hood down the road. But I refuse to put the R decals that come with the parts, because I know my car is not an actual type R. For $60-70K these days you can get TWO early model NSX's.

Not bagging on the folks going for this, heck more power to you, but I'd rather have the two NSX's. Maybe a few mods on each, but can be easily put back to OEM status, which will be much better for resell purposes. But thats just me and my two cents.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 PM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
well it's basically for a NEW type r conversion NSX
i don't think it will be badged Type R
but have some kind of spoon badging instead.

if it was a straight type r conversion i wouldn't like it either
but from what it looks like it's a Spoon-ized type r conversion which is OK in my book :)

it's more for the ppl who wanna spend the money for it.

personally, i'd spend 28-30k for a used NSX and Spoon the **** out of it!
lol

-Ricky

Old 08-26-2008, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
no. honda of america will have little or nothing to do with it. im not sure on all the details but spoon gets major support from honda of japan and will be sending these cars to shops like opak for the conversion. id assume you would have to go through opak for these cars but im not sure how they will be distributed.

lol, i didn't say they were going to sell it at the dealers...but i guess its my bad for not saying they weren't. anyhow, 60k does seem pricey for just a conversion, but if you consider all that its giving you (underbody aero panels, gutted sound deadening, carbon fiber panels, thinner glass, light wheels, retuned suspension, chipped ECU, shorter final gear, new paint...etc) It would take about as much to do that all yourself. Personally, if I had 60k budget for a car, I'd consider this car not because of the name Spoon or Type R, but rather for the fact that its an NSX with an elevated performance starting point that also looks like a brand new car. If you look at the list of changes that is part of the conversion, most of them have performance undertones. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the USDM NSX something like 2950 lbs? trimming 150lbs is no small feat. I think the price of the conversion is justified.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Fa1
"Spoon will install anything from a twin-turbo to a wide-body kit if American enthusiasts are still hungry for more."

Old 08-27-2008, 01:04 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
man, i am really excited about this. heres another article.

http://www.spoonsports.us/

Last edited by kelsodeez; 08-27-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:07 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITrunner
I guess I just don't get the whole JDM thing. Or I am not as hardcore. (old age does that to you) While I am not against the conversion, my reaction is "why"? $60-70K to have an R conversion, but after all is said and done, its STILL not an actual R model, its still JUST a conversion, a fake if you want to look at it that way.

I've got an R spoiler on my NSX and Im going to get an R hood down the road. But I refuse to put the R decals that come with the parts, because I know my car is not an actual type R. For $60-70K these days you can get TWO early model NSX's.

Not bagging on the folks going for this, heck more power to you, but I'd rather have the two NSX's. Maybe a few mods on each, but can be easily put back to OEM status, which will be much better for resell purposes. But thats just me and my two cents.

i dont think you understand. the nsx type R will be coming straight from honda of japan. then they will be converted to lhd and equiped with spoon parts. so it will be a real type R. these cars will hold their value very very well because there wont be many of these imported.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:32 AM
Fa1
Is it 60k just for spoon to mod it not including the price of the car itself?

Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fa1
Is it 60k just for spoon to mod it not including the price of the car itself?

i think its 60k after all is said and done. i am going to talk to opak racing about this within the next few days. :D

Old 08-27-2008, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
i dont think you understand. the nsx type R will be coming straight from honda of japan. then they will be converted to lhd and equiped with spoon parts. so it will be a real type R. these cars will hold their value very very well because there wont be many of these imported.
My bad then. I was thinking they were taking the US models and converting them. Still though...original vs. tuned. Much like you don't mess with a Ferrari (yet I know some do because they have too much money and free time). For me it would be a hard choice to modify a rare NSX-R as it is. It almost cheapens it, regardless of how much faster it makes it. I'd rather take it bone stock. But again thats just my thought process as I am not big into the whole aftermarket scene. Again props to Spoon and the folks that opt for this. While I have no desire for one, I'd be more than happy to bum a ride.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:16 PM
GT-R beater perhaps?

Old 08-27-2008, 01:09 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
GT-R beater perhaps?
maybe with the twin turbo, but it still wont handle the same as an awd beast like the gtr. deff. give it a run for its money.

oh and my buddy went to trade in his Z for a gtr and the markup on them is ridic!@!!! they were asking 120k for the gtr!!!!!

Old 08-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Whats a GTR @ MSRP?

Old 08-27-2008, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by truth
Whats a GTR @ MSRP?
About 69k-73k MSRP.

It would be sweet to see a Spoon NSX-R.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Fa1
maybe with the twin turbo, but it still wont handle the same as an awd beast like the gtr. deff. give it a run for its money.

oh and my buddy went to trade in his Z for a gtr and the markup on them is ridic!@!!! they were asking 120k for the gtr!!!!!
Hmmm, a gtr, or 2 spoon nsx-r's? :)

Old 08-27-2008, 03:51 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kamui
About 69k-73k MSRP.

It would be sweet to see a Spoon NSX-R.
at infineon raceway on sept. 12th, the twin turbo nsx type r will be competing in the slipstream drift event. i will probably be there taking pics.

Quick Reply: Spoon NSX-R coming stateside