Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Suzuki to Bring Subcompact Swift to North America

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Suzuki to Bring Subcompact Swift to North America

Suzuki Motor announced that it will export its new Swift subcompact to North America as early as 2007 to take advantage of a growing demand for fuel-efficient vehicles.

Suzuki unveiled the new Swift in March 2005 at the 2005 Geneva Motor Show. The subcompact is a global car—designed for world markets, it is to be manufactured in Hungary, Japan, China and India. (Suzuki is the largest seller of consumer cars in India.)

The new Swift comes with a choice of three upgraded engines: 1.3- and 1.5-liter gasoline (the latter with variable valve timing), and a 1.3-liter turbocharged diesel. Suzuki is sourcing the 1.3-liter diesel from Fiat and Opel, and has licensed the technology to manufacture those engines at its Indian subsidiary Maruti Udyong from the end of 2006.

Suzuki has not indicated which powertrain options it would make available in North America.
The domestic [Japanese] small car market will not grow any further. We will maintain a high level of investments, particularly overseas.

—Suzuki Chairman Osamu Suzuki
The carmaker is aiming for a 10% increase in global production to 2.34 million units in 2006. It plans to boost overseas manufacturing by 16% to 1.2 million vehicles, exceeding domestic production. The firm will start operating its second plant in India and raise capacity by 30% to 200,000 units at its Hungarian plant. In Europe, the company projects a 17% rise in sales to 310,000 units for 2006, mainly of its Swift model.

January 21, 2006

Last edited by tjts1; 01-21-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Now we have a contender....

Old 01-21-2006, 06:57 PM
i've seen this car back home in Indonesia...

boy i should say that it does "copy" many of Mini's design...

Old 01-21-2006, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
It will be interesting to see what Suzuki does with the Swift when it finally arrives in the USA. Hopefully, they'll put in a decent engine and maybe even put in a CVT automatic!

Old 01-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
It will be interesting to see what Suzuki does with the Swift when it finally arrives in the USA. Hopefully, they'll put in a decent engine and maybe even put in a CVT automatic!

...and the GTI package!

Old 01-23-2006, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by Jonniedee
...and the GTI package!
Yes, bring back what the Swift GTI used to be here. If that does indeed happen, I may have to consider the Swift.

Now if only VW plans to bring either the Lupo or Polo GTI to the States. A brand new ball game in the sub-compact playing field.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:21 AM
nice! the more competition the better.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
The one everyone in the world is not getting is the Suzuki Swift Sport. Equipped with a 1.6L VVT DOHC 16v with 125hp, optional Recaro front seats, Disk brakes all-around and HID lamps.

This is what I want here in the States, being a sporty hatch kind of a guy.

Last edited by sr20jet; 01-23-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Now that I'd like to drive....

Old 01-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Swift sport looks hot. I hope they bring it.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:48 AM
It will also have optional 2wd/4wd options too!!!
I can see it as my next WRC maybe.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by CarDemon
It will also have optional 2wd/4wd options too!!!
I can see it as my next WRC maybe.
Unless I missed it on the Suzuki Japan website, where did you find this info? As far as i know, it's only going to be sold as FWD worldwide.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by sr20jet
Unless I missed it on the Suzuki Japan website, where did you find this info? As far as i know, it's only going to be sold as FWD worldwide.
Van Damn! How could you guys miss this IMPORTANT FEATURE. The ones coming to N.A. for us Canadians and Americans will have this. You have to read deeper in the paragraphs to get this info.

Check the hyperlink references below as they mention the AWD selectable modes with 50/50split. If this comes to fruition as said in the following articles and has a decent price, this may be the ultimate class leader and should replace the fugly Aerio eventually.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/051202-1.htm
http://www.channel4.com/4car/feature...sx4/sx4-2.html
http://autonet.ca/spotlight/newmodel...0/1330996.html
http://www.japanesecarfans.com/news..../suzuki/1.html

Last edited by CarDemon; 01-27-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Wrong vehicle dude

CarDemon - we were talking about the Swift NOT the pseudo 'ute SX4...
http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-te.../swift05-.html

Last edited by Jonniedee; 01-27-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Ahhh dammit! Sorry folks. That swift looks goddamn sexy though! We do need a more powerful engine here for our market. The interior cheap plastics crap we see in the aerio hopefully shouldn't be integrated into this model. I'm drooling over this prospect.

Old 01-28-2006, 04:11 AM
Originally Posted by CarDemon
Ahhh dammit! Sorry folks. That swift looks goddamn sexy though! We do need a more powerful engine here for our market. The interior cheap plastics crap we see in the aerio hopefully shouldn't be integrated into this model. I'm drooling over this prospect.
The Swift is damn nice the way I see it. As long if the Sport model is available to come over to the States, I'd be all over it. Interior is way above the competiton, even with the Recaro options. Don't really care if it came equipped with the 1.6, every tuners dreams know they have a gem in their hands. It's a fierce market, who knows if Suzuki can claim a piece of that Econo-hatch market in the US the way it did back in the early 90's with the Swift GT(GTi elsewhere).

Old 01-28-2006, 11:46 AM
I like the Swift sport model alot and hope Suzuki decides to bring it to the U.S. I've owned many Suzuki bikes and always found their motors durable and easy to tune and modify, especially the air-oil cooled GSX-R, Bandit motors. I always wanted to buy a Suzuki car but, they never had anything I liked except the Swift GT fo the late 80's early 90's. They teased with some cool show cars over the years like a mid engine 2 seater can't recall the name then gave us the ho hum Esteem. The Reno is nice looking but I don't think has much performance potential. They need something cool like the yellow Sport Swift photo on this thread to spice up their line. Come on Suzuki bring it on forget market reports that say Americans won't buy a premium hatchback I sure would.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Suzuki here in N.A. could use some spicing up of their model-line with some emotionally appealing and passionately designed passengers cars to drive; with Big Daddy G.M's financial backing and cloning they could only benefit.

Just another thought..., I keep reading from various automotive writers is that the Canadian market and sales shows more desire for compacts/subcompacts and even more so, hatchbacks than the U.S. mass market. Mazda Protege 5, Mazda 3, Matrix, Echo/Yaris Hatch and the like, have had wonderful sales over here.

I still think our continent needs one hell of a fuel crises other than a few hurricanes to curb our appetite in the SUV world. I turning in my Mazda Protege 5 soon and I'm in the market for another Japanese Hatch that is small, stylish and fun to drive.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:47 AM
That Swift Sport is nice!

As committed as I am to the Fit, I'm glad I've decided to wait until about xmas to buy one. If Suzuki comes out with a 50/50 split AWD Swift Sport in the US a couple months after I buy my Fit, I'd be piiiiissed.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:04 PM
the rear taillights just made me puke in my mouth..looks like a damn scion

Quick Reply: Suzuki to Bring Subcompact Swift to North America