Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Newbie question Fit vs Matrix

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Condsidering Toyota Matrix vs. Fit

Well, here's the deal.

A Toyota dealer has too many Matrix's (Matrices?) and is willing to sell for $13K for bare bones base model.

Honda Fit's are impossible to find now, and difficult to find at MSRP without some level of mark up. I'd have to "preorder" one.

Has anyone else considered the Matrix vs. the Fit as well?

If you were faced with a Base Matrix MT vs. a Base Fit MT, and the Matrix was over $1K cheaper, which would you get?

-Ed

Old 05-12-2006, 10:35 AM
I am also looking at the Matrix, but I need ABS and side airbags. Unfortunately these are hard to come by in a Matrix with a manual transmission, and they also raise the price significantly. Otherwise the Matrix is nice - little more back seat room than the Fit, but a little less flexible and a little less efficient with space. Handles well, but not as well as the Fit. It also uses a little more gas.

Old 05-12-2006, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sdallnct
Oh no offense was taken. You certainly bring up good points. However I think there is little doubt that an Accord is "more" car then the Fit in every way. I would hope that it had a better ride, more comfort, etc. To be perfectly honest, when I first starting thinking about cars, the Accord was where I was starting. I even did a little research on the Acura's and small BMW. Then I decided, I didn't want to spend $30,000 on a car. Then I thought at $20,000 could get an Accord, but then starting wondering how much more I could save. The Civic's got such good reviews I thought that would be perfect and save a few grand. But you can get a Camry for the price of a Civic which are at a premium right now. So now looking at the Camry and Fit as my main two choices. Every other car is "more car" then the Fit, there is no comparison to the Fit. However, neither the wife or I like spending money on cars. Of course she (and I) would prefer the Accord over the Fit. But with the $6,000 saving we could take several nice vacations, update our house, etc. etc. Heck would be a start for yet another car that we will likely want in a year or two.

Both of us like cars, but in the end, to us, they are just a tool to help us through our everyday life. We both want quality, fit and finish and good gas mileage.
Hope this helps: I went from a '95 Accord wagon to the Fit. Before that I had a Civic '85 wagon and adored it. The Fit comes close. I loved my Accord, too, but the mileage wasn't as good and it barely fit in my garage. The Fit is nimble, lots of fun to drive, and the cargo space is versatile. I looked at the Matrix, and test drove its twin, the Vibe. The Vibe was also nimble like the Fit, but didn't have the "Magic Seats". Also thought the Vibe was noisier, and of course it doesn't have Honda's record of reliability. The Matrix is actually supposed to be a cut above the Fit, and the Yaris is supposed to be the Fit's competitor. However, the amenities in the Matrix seem to be more in line with what the Fit offers. I'm really partial to Hondas, and I was trying to find a reincarnation of my Civic wagon. The Fit comes close. The only thing that bothers me is that I stop too often for gas -- the Fit's gas tank is small. I'm not sure how the Matrix compares as far as frequency of visits to the pump, but I know its mpg rating is not as good. Take a look at Edmunds.com, which allows you to rate the two cars side by side, feature by feature.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:35 PM
The Matrix is a nice vehicle but with my test drive I just could not find a comfortable driving position. The Fit just feels more comfortable to me and the space is just right. You have to drive both and decide which feels right to you.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:21 PM
i too am considering matrix as well as fit - will have to test-drive both. it sure is tough to get the side airbags on matrix though, but perhaps the overall larger size balances out the safety equation. to me it'll come down to comfort.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Hey, I'm new here too. That's a tough call, but I can tell you they don't drive at all alike. The Matrix handles like a minivan, and the fit handles like a Cooper. I found the Fit much more fun to drive and more comfortable to boot - like some others in the thread here, I think the Matrix has a really weird seating position. For $1k difference, I wouldn't even consider it myself.

From a totally practical point of view though, it might be worth it.

I've eliminated the Matrix - I'm still trying to decide manual vs. auto for a Fit sport. I wish I could do a side by side drive ........

Old 05-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Meh, the Matrix ended up being offered for $13,800 NOT including destination. No special financing offers. No side airbags.

Bye bye Matrix.

Hello Fit.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:36 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
id rather get the FiT...the matrix really does not have to many choices to mod with:cool:

Old 05-22-2006, 03:40 AM
I ended up with the Fit Sport.

Still cheaper than the Matrix, if I were to match the features in the Matrix.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
MSN Auto Comparison Site

It took awhile, but MSN Auto, which has a great site for comparing side by side, finally has the Fit info. As a for instance, here's the Fit vs. Yaris vs. Matrix. This is fun info to read and take with you when you're ready for test drives. (Note that Yaris says "opt." for features that are standard on the Fit. Don't take the consumer scores too seriously until there's a long-term data base with lots of input.):D

http://autos.msn.com/research/compar...2493&v=t101493

Last edited by FondaFit; 05-22-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Edwood
Has anyone else considered the Matrix vs. the Fit as well?
Yah I'm in that stage right now.. I was set on buyin the Fit, until several unsuccessful negotiations with Honda dealers, and at getting frustrated at the sales people's lack of knowledge..

from what I see here's how they generally compare

The Matrix is bigger (engine, and interior cargo space), however you sacrifice in mpg (compared to the Fit).. The Fit is rated at 33-40mpg, where as the Matrix XR is rated at about 26-30 (36 if you got a 5spd) The Matrix XR (with a nice options package) is atleast $2,000 more than the Fit Sport 5spd. The Matrix an option for sunroof (I know its not important but to me it is a wanted accessory), also the Matrix XR auto has the option of VSC (vehicle stability control), not available on the Fit, but the Fit offers much more safety features already standard (8 airbags, ABS, etc)..
As for reliability it seems Matrix owners are complaining about the quality of some of the parts, AC, etc, and some had even had minor engine/gear adjustment problems which were covered under warranty (from what I've read on different Toyota/Matrix messageboards).. I guess this could be due to the Matrix being made in Indiana; The 07 Fit is currently only available from Japan (more reliable?) which is causing the delay of getting a new one. From what I'm reading some people are waiting up to 2 months?!? whoa... The Matrix even if ordered should arrive within a few weeks...

I'm completely lost.. To me they both seem relatively equal.. and I have no idea which one I want more..

any opinions, suggestions?

Old 07-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by FitStir
from what I see here's how they generally compare

The Matrix is bigger (engine, and interior cargo space),
While the engine is certainly bigger, I don't think the interior cargo space is. The Matrix has more hip room (is wider), but the floor height is higher in the Matrix, so the Fit has considerably more vertical space.

-Ed

Old 07-05-2006, 09:58 AM
I too found the Matrix uncomfortable. It also has too bleak and utilitarian a feel.

In any case, I ended up buying a Mazda3 Sport Gt. For only a very little more I got a lot more luxury, including sunroof and leather, and even my special little joy (I am easy to please) automatic windshield wipers. They still make me smile every time they go on and then adjust according to the amount of rainfall :) And it is so much fun to drive! It really does have "ZoomZoom" and handles like a dream. I have never regretted not buying the Fit.

Because the new Mazda3's will be coming out soon I got a great deal on a new 2006- and I got it straight off the boat from Japan. No deals on the Fit.
It just wasn't the best value at this point in time.

Old 07-05-2006, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Edwood
While the engine is certainly bigger, I don't think the interior cargo space is. The Matrix has more hip room (is wider), but the floor height is higher in the Matrix, so the Fit has considerably more vertical space.

-Ed
Well its debateable, but I think the Matrix is slighty bigger.. If you go according to the respective websites the Matrix claims to have 12 cu. ft more "cargo space".. Not sure if that includes the measurements from the back of the front seats, or if includes the front passenger seat folded down also..

Since cargo space is also an issue for me I did some real world measurements (should be accurate within the inch)..

Measurement.......Honda Fit.......Matrix
Max Length.........90"-94"..........96" meas. with front pass. seat down
Fr St's UP Lngth...59"-62".........66" Seat's on both cars set at norm driving pos.
Max Width...........50"..............52"
Min Width............41"..............41" meas. between rear wheel wells
Max Height..........39.5"............33"

The sales people must have thought I was a little crazy when I brought my tape measure.

Well after debating it for several days and sitting behind the Fit again, I think I'm leaning more towards the Fit. Even though there's no seat ht adjustment it still feels more comfortable than the Matrix. Plus, the Matrix owners are really complaining about the quality of some of the parts on messageboards.. There's something about the Fit that feels like it might be the right car for me.

Originally Posted by burm
Because the new Mazda3's will be coming out soon I got a great deal on a new 2006- and I got it straight off the boat from Japan. No deals on the Fit.
It just wasn't the best value at this point in time.

I looked at the Mazda3's 2 months ago when I first started comparing several small hatchback type cars.. If I remember it was a more expensive than the Fit, or their site was difficult to navigate, for some reason or another I didnt think about the 3 again.. I'm almost afraid to do so cause it might confuse my decision even more; sunroof, and leather are options I also wanted to get.

Last edited by FitStir; 07-05-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
I was surprised to see that the Matrix has an 11 gallon gas tank, only one more gallon than the Fit. If some think that you have to fill up the Fit quite a bit, you'd have the same problem, only worse, in the Matrix. I think the Fit wins hands down in this one. Thank you everyone for your comments.:)

Old 10-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by siguy
I was surprised to see that the Matrix has an 11 gallon gas tank, only one more gallon than the Fit. If some think that you have to fill up the Fit quite a bit, you'd have the same problem, only worse, in the Matrix. I think the Fit wins hands down in this one. Thank you everyone for your comments.:)
Actually the Fit has a 10.8 gallon tank :) Don't sell it too short.

As for you guys looking at the Mazda3 I too looked at that, but it was more expensive and had worse mileage. Not a good combo for me. Plust I have more faith in Honda than Ford :p

Old 10-07-2006, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
2006 Matrix

Sharing platforms, powertrains and components with the Pontiac Vibe, but offering its own distinctive exterior and interior styling, the Matrix is a Corolla-based sports wagon that's available in either front- or all-wheel drive. It's powered in its base version by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 130 horsepower in front-drive form and 123 horses with AWD; it can be fitted to either a five-speed manual (with front-drive models) or a four-speed automatic transmission. The top XRS is the sportiest version, by virtue of its more powerful 170-horsepower version of the 1.8-liter engine and standard six-speed manual transmission, which is the only available gearbox. Split-folding rear seats with ample tie-down locations and assorted storage areas and bins add to the Matrix's inherent utility. Anti-lock brakes with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution are included on the top version and are offered elsewhere in the line, while Vehicle Stability Control is optionally offered on front-drive models. It sees minor changes only for 2006.

007 Honda Fit
Price: est. $13,500 base, $15,500 as tested
Engine: 1.5-liter in-line four, 109 hp/105 lb-ft
Drivetrain: Five-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmission, front-wheel drive
Length x width x height: 157.4 x 66.2 x 60.0 in
Wheelbase: 96.5 in
Curb weight: 2432
Fuel economy (EPA city/hwy): 33/38 mpg
Safety equipment: Anti-lock brakes with electronic brake distribution; dual front airbags, front-seat-mounted side airbags, side-curtain airbags
Major standard equipment: Air conditioning, power windows/locks/mirrors, tilt steering, rear wiper/washer/defrost, tinted glass, four-speaker AM/FM/CD sound with speed-sensitive volume control
Warranty: Three years/36,000 miles

-----------

Larger and more powerful, and with AWD, the Matrix is a good choice if you can get it now that supply exceeds demand. However without side airbags it doesn't offer the same level of safety as the FIT in my book. It is also not as nimble and not as versatile in design for hauling things. If fun to drive and fuel economy is important then the FIT wins.

Low supply and higher prices hurt the FIT in many markets. Resale would be better with the FIT as a result, while Matrix are common they aren't that cheap used either.

Another good choice in nearly the same price range is the Mazda3 4 door hatchback. Reliability is probably not as good as Toyota or Honda though.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Found out something interesting about the Matrix. It shares the same platform and engine as the Corolla, but is about 500 pounds heavier. If I decided to buy a Toyota instead of the Fit, I might lean toward the Corolla over the Matrix, for gas mileage purposes; plus better acceleration due to lighter weight. The Corolla S model looks better with the "aero effects" and spoiler, almost like a 3/4 size Camry. I dunno, I'm kinda turned off with the Fit problems like paint and the other stuff I'm reading about. Plus, I live in a hot climate, and I don't think the A/C will work all that well here. I need a car here that has the power to pull an auto trans plus have a good A/C. I drive in heavy traffic daily, so that's what I'm basing my needs on right now. I wish Honda had put out the Fit with the 1800 cc motor. That would be a great car!

Old 10-08-2006, 12:24 PM
the matrix copied the suzuki aerio sx >_> and the matrix looks ugly LoL

Old 10-08-2006, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by siguy
...Plus, I live in a hot climate, and I don't think the A/C will work all that well here. I need a car here that has the power to pull an auto trans plus have a good A/C. I drive in heavy traffic daily, so that's what I'm basing my needs on right now. I wish Honda had put out the Fit with the 1800 cc motor. That would be a great car!
If that is true you could consider the CIVIC LX coupe. For about the same price as the Corolla S you get better interior space, modern design, better safety features standard, better performance, better mpg, and strong AC with a stronger engine. Stick to light metallic colors if you don't want the sun to fade your paint in a very hot sunny climate.

The matrix is a newer body design on an old platform while the Corolla is very dated and ready to be modernized just as the CIVIC was for 2006.
I looked at the Corolla and was unimpressed while reviewers found it rather middle of the pack in all respects. Reliability and resale value has been good.

If the FIT came with a 1.8 liter engine it would be much heavier leading to more cost in beefing up suspension, transmission, etc. Around the world it does well with the 1.3 liter economy engine. 1.8 engine would give better performance but probably much lower mpg which on an entry level subcompact would be a negative. Unless you had several models for the FIT.

Base FIT with 1.3 engine normally aspirated
FIT sport with 1.5 engine normally aspirated
FIT sport hybrid with the insight engine or some ridiculously efficient 80 mpg engine
FIT Si with 1.8 engine Turbo or with a K20 engine.

Did you notice I made the hybrid a FIT sport! Yeah, Don't cheap out.:D

Quick Reply: Newbie question Fit vs Matrix