Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Newbie question Fit vs Matrix

Old 10-16-2006, 01:25 AM
My wife has a Matrix XR (got it before the Mazda 3s appeared). I have an ancient integra G2 hatchback (over 16yrs old, nearing 250K miles, rusted out) that will be replaced with a Fit in the winter (as that is the closest thing Honda makes to Integra and the RSX is too expensive - damn you honda for not selling the civic hatchback in north america!).
Basically it can be considered as a hatchback/wagon version of a Corolla.
The comment about the weight and also the gearing (as it has slightly taller tires) makes the car struggle a bit more at launch (the integra with about the same HP is way stronger & faster). It doesn't have anything to do with mini-vans although the height and the front seats sometimes can give people the impression (consumer reports puts the AWD version under small SUVs).
Handling is sort of ok, but nowhere close to something like the civic. Again the taller wheels plus the height of the vehicle don't help much (getting a rear sway bar and upgraded shocks are usually the first recommendation for the Matrix - which does have quite a bit of aftermarket parts, but nowhere as much as the Civic) matroxowners is a good reference.
Umm - other thoughts, the XR has fairly good fabric for the seats, the tall view is kinda fun, but going around corners is nowhere like an integra, engine noiser and less smooth than the 16 year old integra, the Matrix trunk space is not that much, basic stereo is lousy, in general a fairly well put together car.
For me, I would never go to a sedan as I find hatchbacks/wagons are just so useful (sports & construction projects). For others, sedan is fine.

Last edited by Tarx; 10-16-2006 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Fit 1800 CC

So, I wonder how much heavier is the 1800 cc engine VS the 1500? Is it the same block? The reason I mentioned having a Fit with the Civic engine is that the Civic has a better power to weight ratio than the Fit. So, my thought was that if it were practical, then Honda should put out a Fit with the Civic motor (would be kind of a Civic hatchback). I thought the Fit would then have a better power to weight ratio = better MPG, etc. I dunno, just dreaming:rolleyes:

Old 10-18-2006, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
The Matrix is a great car, and I liked it too, but now that I have the Fit, I have no regrets, and find it as large as I need for virtually everything, and everybody that's been in it as a passenger or test drove it, has commented on how peppy it is, how smooth it shifts (mine's an automatic), how great it handles, and how roomy it is -- and most say they would like to own one -- in fact I know two people who bought after seeing mine, and they were not really in need of a new car!

Buy with confidence -- I'd be surprised if you find it too small later (Oh, and my 20 year son is comfortable in the back seat, on the rare occasions he joins us).

Later,
Bill

Old 12-04-2006, 05:49 PM
I thought I'd post my notes on both a manual 2003 Matrix XR and the Fit LX automatic (because no one had manuals!), as I test-drove them both in the last couple of weeks. My experience with the Matrix was mainly highway driving, and by myself, so I don't have that many comments on it. I was lucky enough to find a car rental place that rented Fit’s, so I spent a full weekend with it.

I’ve ended up buying the Matrix – I found the Fit’s driving position too uncomfortable. My left foot was not a problem as I just had it flat on the floor. However, my right foot always seemed to be angled the wrong way. My foot seemed to be bent back on its self. I am tall - 6"3' with a 32 inch inseam, size 11 shoes.

I’m coming from a 2 door 1992 Mazda 323, which is very basic transportation. It’s the only car I’ve owned and had it for over 10 years (bought second hand). It now has 325,000 kilometers on the odometer. My notes are made in light of my experience with the 323.

Without further ado:

2003 Matrix XR

disadvantages

- dark interior (black and silver colour scheme) and small windows make it feel a bit like a van
- at night, I had a reflection of the gauges in upper left corner of window due to seating position
- shift is high (not on the floor), which I find more tiring
- hands on steering wheel obscures gauges a bit
- slower to get going/harder to stop compared to my 323 (not as responsive)
- lose intimacy of smaller car (the back seats are far away)
- not as good in city driving (more blind spots/larger car)
- not as good gas mileage
- more room than I really want
- stiff clutch and steering (really have to grip the steering wheel, otherwise it feels a bit slippery)
- I thought that there was a lot of wind noise on the highway
- surprisingly high dead pedal (even when there is room, they are made for short people!)

advantages

- solid (you can tell it’s well built and can take a lot of abuse)
- excellent footwell space and nice ‘high’ seating position
- cruise control!! (‘nuf said)
- I liked the bumps on the steering wheel (at 10 and 2 o'clock)

2007 Honda Fit LX automatic

disadvantages

- driver's seating position (800 kms of driving over two days gave me a hell of a back ache)
- no cruise control
- not impressed with the thin floor covering
- as opposed everyone else I know, who extends their legs straight out, my girlfriend likes to curl her legs against the underside of the seat. She couldn't in the front passenger seat without extending the seat far forward because of the gas tank (but she really loved the rear seats)
- my girlfriend found the headrest uncomfortable
- no hatch release (Makes me wonder how people with the DX unlock the hatch without turning off the engine. Do they use the remote locks?? With the LX (equivalent to the US base trim) you have power locks and it’s not a problem. However, you still have to grasp the handle instead of just lifting the gate.
- I found the steering wheel a bit uncomfortable (it's oval instead of round like I’m used to, and the pressure points were on the joints of my hands)
- the pillar between the front and rear doors obstructed my view a bit

advantages

- no problems with highway driving/buffeting/acceleration (very stable, no problems overtaking or merging)
- no changes in drivability when the gas tank is empty versus when it is full (my 1992 Mazda 323 is distinctly 'light-headed' when I'm running on empty)
- quick off the mark and to stop (very responsive; nothing like the Mazda 323 automatic that I test drove in 1995, which was very sluggish; Fit was better than the Matrix)
- visibility is great
- city parking is great (nice size and rear visibility for parallel parking)
- dash is beautiful (clear, simple, eye catching layout, nicely coloured gauges)
- liked being able to turn the key in driver's door lock twice to unlocks all doors
- nice big rear view mirrors
- thought it was very thoughtful of Fit designers to allow you to set the rear seat backs straight up (90 degree angle) or slightly tilted (95 degrees)
- really easy to collapse the rear seats (no struggling at all)
- tons of room in the back seats, with plenty of head room and a minimal central tunnel (stuck my 6"5' friend in the back seat and he was very impressed)
- nice to be able to use refresh mode while waiting for someone (very clever!)

So that’s it – of course, your driving impressions may vary. :D

Last edited by mwqa; 12-04-2006 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
- liked being able to turn the key in driver's door lock twice to unlocks all doors
Hey thanks! I did not even pick up on this -- it's handy!

Later,
Bill

PS: I really like the Matrix too -- but ya can't buy them all!

Old 12-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by mwqa
- as opposed everyone else I know, who extends their legs straight out, my girlfriend likes to curl her legs against the underside of the seat. She couldn't in the front passenger seat without extending the seat far forward because of the gas tank (but she really loved the rear seats)
I thought this was funny. If she likes curling her legs, the backseats must be heaven for her, cuz there is practically nothing underneath. I wish all cars had magic seats. my parents just got an RDX (gas guzzler :\ but fortuantely they won't drive many mileks of it) and it reminds me of the fit in many ways, but the versitility of the back seats was not one of them.

Magic seats of the fit rule. Fit has so many features that are genius, I forget things like magic seats are a feature and not standard on every car.

Last edited by Gordio; 12-17-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by siguy
So, I wonder how much heavier is the 1800 cc engine VS the 1500? Is it the same block? The reason I mentioned having a Fit with the Civic engine is that the Civic has a better power to weight ratio than the Fit. So, my thought was that if it were practical, then Honda should put out a Fit with the Civic motor (would be kind of a Civic hatchback). I thought the Fit would then have a better power to weight ratio = better MPG, etc. I dunno, just dreaming:rolleyes:
I'm no engine geek, but I think the fit's engine is special ("L" series?) b/c it's actually small; smaller than most 1.5L engines in fact. the 1.8L might not fit in the hood of the car. Engine swaps in the fit are dificult b/c of its cramped engine compartment

The small nose is very important for teh fit's spacious efficiency. The fit looks like the xA, same length, but is roomy inside b/c the nose is shorter which provides more space for the riders and the trunk.