Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Project: 800hp RB26DETT 1998 Nissan 240SX ***T1 Will Choke On It***

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 02:23 AM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Project: 800hp RB26DETT 1998 Nissan 240SX ***T1 Will Choke On It***

This thread is originally from Supra Forums. Obviously not my car.

Enjoy.
Hey Guys,

I am (with the help of several sponsors) aggressively working to finish my car in time for the USA NOPI 2007 Tour.

As it has been since 2004, the car will once again be featured in the BF Goodrich Tires Booth at select locations nationwide.

I'm going to make this the official thread, and will be updating the thread over the next 3-4 weeks while we finish up the car.

Here is the current mod list, and the latest pictures/videos will be posted soon.

1998 RB26DETT 240SX
Weight: 2950 lb. (w/o driver)
Redline: 9000 RPM
Motor: R33 RB26DETT w/ Ford C4 Tranny w/ Transbrake and GearVendors OverDrive Setup
Cams: Tomei Poncams 260/260 Duration 9.15 Lift w/ Adjustable Cam Gears, Ferrea Springs, Retainers, Locks, and Locators
Pistons: JE 86.5 w/ Hi Performance Upgraded Rings, coated by Calico Coatings
Turbo Setup: Garrett GT4088R (.95 A/R) with Greddy T4 Divided Manifold
Wastegate: Tial 60mm
Intake: Custom
LSD: Cusco RS 1.5 way LSD
Rods: Eagle Rods w/ ARP Rod Bolts
Injectors: Precision 1000cc x6, Greddy fuel rail
Oil Pump: Nismo
Water Pump: Nismo
Timing Belt: Greddy
Headgasket: Tomei 1.2mm
Headstuds: ARP
Main Studs: ARP
Bearings: Calico
Damper: ATI Super Damper (600-1000 HP Model)
Downpipe: Custom
Mount Kit: McKinney Motor and Transmission Mounts, McKinney One-Piece Driveshaft
Strut Bar: Cusco 40D 40mm Aluminum Strut Bar
Gauges: Autometer Cobalt Series (Boost, Water Temp, Oil Pressure, EGT, Trans Temp, Air/Fuel, 5" Tachometer)
Exhaust: Apexi Ex Mag 3.75" Exhaust
Cooling fans: Permacool (2) 12" High Perf. Electric Pull Fans, 3000 CFM
Intercooler: XS Engineering 24x12x3 core with 3” piping
Blow off Valve: Apexi Racing Max Power
Fuel system: Aeromotive FPR, Walbro 255/lph Intank Fuel Pumps x2, -8 feed line, -6 return line
Engine Management: AEM with 3.5 Bar Map Sensor and AEM Wideband Sensor
Boost Control: Apexi AVC-R
Suspension: Apexi N1 V-Spec Drag Coilovers, Battle Version Rear Upper Control Arms, Rear Toe Links, Rear Traction Links, Front Tension Rods
Axles: Mazworx Drag Axles
Brakes: Underground 300ZX Calipers/ Supra TT Rotors Brake Upgrade (Front)
Stillen Supra TT Rotors (Front), Stillen 300ZX TT Rotors (Rear)
Stillen 300ZX Racing Brake Pads (Front and Rear)
PDM Racing Conversion Brake Lines (Front and Rear)
Wheels: Motegi Prototypes 18x9 (3" lip) , 18x10 (3.5"lip) Gunmetal w/polished lip
Tires: BF Goodrich (Front) 225-40-18 KD, (Rear) 285-30-18 KD
Paint: House of Kolor PBC-36 TruBlue Pearl
Aero Kit: Cwings Carbon Fiber Body, OEM S15 Headlights/ Inner Cirlce S15 Front End Conversion

(Stock Turbos at 1.1 bar)

These Photos were taken 2/2007, this is part of the Stage 2 buildup.

I wanted to post some pics of the build on my car to show it's progress level.

I am still waiting on parts to arrive from Japan.

And the most recent....

Yesterday, Andy at Southern Imports in Murfreesboro, TN (Mechanic on Project 240SX) installed the Mazworx Axles w/Hubs (http://www.mazworx.com) and SPL Pro Aluminum Subframe Fushings. (www.splparts.com)

A little brake cleaner and some black spray paint really improved the look of the spindles.

As you probably notice, the threads on the hubs are extended for use with aftermarket drag wheels.

Just uploaded, photos of today's progress:

Desynz Motorsports Oil Return Head Mod Kit:

Polished Balance Tube:

ATI Race Engine Damper:

Getting Closer:

Speed by Design (Setrab Model #925) Oil Cooler Kit for the 240SX

Yesterday, Andy (Southern Imports in Murfreesboro, TN) began finishing out the fuel system, which should be done today.

Up Next was the Exedy Triple Disc Clutch, special thanks to the team at Exedy for their support over the years.

Ran the -10 AN Lines from Desynz Motorsports Oil Return Mod from the back of the head to the oilpan, as seen in the following two photos.

Finished the lines to the cooler, so that mission is completed.

A shot of the finished oil cooler assembly:

McKinney Motorsports Race Motor Mount Kit, Tranny Mount, and Driveshaft

Everything on the bottom fitted up nice and snug:

Step-by-step Photo Guide:

Greddy RB26DETT manifold, adapted to run twin-scroll and the Tial Sport 60mm wastegate.

The wastegate had to be moved to fit into the 240SX engine bay.

Monday Night, Andy and I worked til 2 a.m. @ Southern Imports to get the motor running.

When we attached the AEM EMS ECU, it started first crank with the AEM supplied base map.

I was very impressed with how simple the box is to use, and I want to thank Sean Morris for taking my phone call late at night to confirm we had the configurations setup accurately.

We still have lots of work left to be done, and these are, by no means, final images.

As you can see, there are aftermarket gauge sensors that need to be hooked up. The boost controller is not installed, the intake for the turbo still needs to be ordered, downpipe has not been fabricated, and the upper intercooler piping has not been polished.

But the motor runs, and that's a success in itself.

Yesterday, I transported the car to Texas, and will be finishing up the car here.

Once again, thanks to Andy Vaughn @ Southern Imports in Murfreesboro, TN. He, by himself, built 95% of the car that you are fixing to see. He is a amazing fabricator, engine builder, and friend. Thanks again Andy!

Here are the images and the start-up video:

We now have everything finished with the motor minus the installation of the new 24x12x4 intercooler that arrived today.

I want to thanks Matchless Performance (Addison, TX) for the fabrication of the downpipe, which came out better than I would have ever imagined. The welds are amazing, and extremely clean.

Here are the latest images:

While I still have the interior to finish off, here are the completed exterior shots.

This 240SX has been four years in the making, with 30 corporate sponsors on the stage II build.

I want to give a special thanks to Andy Vaughn @ Southern Imports, and Chris Hamilton (tuner) for their work on the vehicle.

Sorry about the delay on posting up dyno numbers, but I have crazy busy and the car has sat for the past few weeks.

I have not added C16 yet, but I did tune the car for E85 Pump Gas. Right now, E85 (106 Octane) is $2.18/gallon at the pump here in Texas, so it's a no-brainer.

As you can see at 25 PSI, the car made 629/490.

I'm decently happy, but will be upgrading probably to a GT42R, as I really want to break 700whp on pump gas.

Also, took the car to be weighed, and I was pleasantly suprised.

With full interior minus a passenger seat, and 3/4 tank of gas, the car came out to 2890 lbs.

Look for a larger turbo, and big power numbers over the next few weeks!
I was hoping this was going to be a bolt-on affair, with just new 4" piping needing to be fabricated......right....

The new turbo hit the valve covers, so Jason @Matchless Performance came to the rescue to modify the exhaust manifold.

The block looks so lonely without it's friend.

Starting the modification work on the manifold, basically changing the angle on the flange so the turbo sits flush.

So now....the actions shots...

Borg Warner 74mm vs my old 63.5mm GT4088R

Man, Jason knows how to work by the clock. Took right at 3 hours from start to finish, very impressive.

Look at the clearance....Almost makes me want to go bigger, hum....

Here's the latest update, the car is finished with the Borg Warner 74mm Single Turbo, and the new 4" Downpipe and Exhaust. The turbo back exhaust is straight 4 piping broken into three pieces via V-bands. Photos are posted below.

This thing sounds absolutely wicked, and we are putting together a dyno video to post up.

I want to thank Matchless Performance in Addison, TX for the piping work, as it came out flawless.

Sorry for the dusty valve cover shots, I'll get some better ones this week.

Here is the completed engine photos showing the new Borg Warner 74mm ETT Turbo.

We put the car on the dyno this weekend, special thanks again to Chris Hamilton for the tuning. You truly are amazing.

Dyno Video Link:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...90394196&hl=en

At 18 PSI (593whp), the car ran out of fuel, and we found the problem to be a dead Walbro Fuel Pump. We'll be going back this weekend to retune for 25 PSI, expecting around 750whp.

Then onto the C16, where we will shoot for 900whp.

Update:

Went back to the dyno this weekend with new fuel pumps, and ran into our next problem, maxing out the 1000cc injectors at 624whp/442tq.

1600cc injectors are being installed this week, and we'll head back to the dyno for round three, haha.

The E85 really requires big injectors, and I never imagined we would max out the fuel system this quickly. Im guessing we're going to end up with a Weldon Race pump, as the dual walbro's are really struggling to keep up.

Enjoy the Vid!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...87815456&hl=en

Here are a couple of shots of the car I took at the dyno when I was tuning it:

Sorry for the dirty motor shot, it's been sitting for about six months now I think?

I want to start out by thanking the guys at Abel Racing in Midwest City, OK (Specifically Erwin, who goes by Efeezi on the various online forums.) You guys have been a pleasure to work with, and your knowledge of all things Nissan is amazing.

It's been six months since the 240SX encountered bearing damage, which led to a full motor rebuild.

This downtime gave me the opportunity to rethink the current engine configuration, etc. While I was happy with the power of the Borg Warner 74mm (1.10 A/R) turbo with 9" cover, the spool characteristics weren't ideal for a street car IMO, and I wanted something that could make similar power, while providing a larger powerband.

After consulting Borg Warner, they recommended their 72mm (.90 A/R) ETT Turbo with their new 10" Race Cover, which has been dyno proven to make up to 60whp over their standard 9" cover.

The motor was rebuilt with an N1 Crank, JE Pistons, and Eagle Rods. Head was left untouched from the previous setup, complete with Tomei Hardware and 260/260 Poncams.

The car now sports the new Tial 50mm Q BOV, which sounds amazing, to go along with the Tial 60mm wastegate, and I'll have some dyno videos to post this weekend, pending all goes as planned.

Here's some sneak peaks from what's to come. Forgive the dust, it's been tucked away in the corner of the shop for several months awaiting parts.

The car was completed today, and Im very pleased with the finished product. The plan is to dyno tune the car tomorrow, and Ill upload the graphs as soon as we finish. The car sounds beastly in person, I wish you all could see it in person.

Special thanks again to corporate sponsors: BF Goodrich Tires, Tial Motorsports, Borg Warner, Abel Racing, Je Pistons, Eagle Rods, Tomei USA, and many others along the way for your help with the vehicle.

As promised, here is the debut video of the new setup:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/U...rts_181811.htm

Very pumped to share the new dyno numbers with you. Took the car back to Abel Racing last night, and Andrei Mitine tuned the low boost map for the target goal of 25 PSI on E85.

The car put down an amazing 726whp/502tq! Enjoy the video, and look for a race gas video in the next few weeks. Shooting for 35 PSI, and 900+ whp.

The Video:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/U...rts_183088.htm

Dyno Graph:

Update:

Had the car shot yesterday by two automotive photographers here in Oklahoma City. Ill let you be the judge of the new setup; these really do the car justice. Hope you enjoy!

Car is for sale:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho....php?p=6553601

Old 02-06-2009, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member
That's hotttt

Old 02-06-2009, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member
i like but i'm not liking the carbon fiber kit

Old 02-06-2009, 04:51 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
yeah i dont really like the kit either, but that car still kicks my car's butt.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Dammit. Stuff like this makes me blow more money on my DSM.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Saw the car at NOPI in 07. It's nice and well built, but not really feelin all the carbon, wheels or stance. Nice none the less.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
Wish I knew some people that pooped gold bars so I could get "balla status" like this dude, but with my Fit.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:11 AM
The absolute epitome of perfection - RB26DETT. It's the heart that counts.

Oh, and he's from Oklahoma too! Niiiiiiiice!

Old 02-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Wow. And every timie he starts it up you can smell hundred dollar bills burning! These silly sponsored cars make me laugh, they end up like the season finale of "Dream House" $ 1,345,567.75 later and the car is for sale

Old 03-06-2009, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
i would say 700whp in that build all forged rb26 motor is nothing special....it is ALMOST an everyday thing in japan...
it has proven to make over 1000whp too many times

but he spend alot of detail in the car tho..so props for that !
mean while check out my r32 GTR....it is NOT rb26...it is a 3.0L rb30 !!
Inside
Name:  R0011566.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  181.7 KB

@ a show
Name:  R0011287.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  187.9 KB
Name:  R0011280.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  165.3 KB
Name:  R0011283.jpg