Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2001 Honda Civic EX Auto vs. Fit??

Old 04-27-2006, 06:48 PM
2001 Honda Civic EX Auto vs. Fit??

Ever since the new Fit came out, I started to debating whether I should trade in my Civic for the Fit.

I'm a college student so I need a small car that gets pretty good gas mileage. (since all college students are quite poor ;))
I like to drive aggresively on twisty backroads, but I hate drag racing or any types of racing on city streets. Which means I like a car that can handle but don't really care about straight line speed. However, if Fit is slower than my auto Civic... hmm... that's kinda really slow and I don't think I'll like that.

My Civic is decent, but I absolutely hate this Automatic tranny, because I get no control over it.
Fit's automatic tranny seems a lot better than that old Auto tranny in my Civic, and I could get manual car if I want to (which I do).

I've read plenty of reviews... Car and Driver, Edmunds, and Temple of VTEC, and they all praise the car for it's sportiness, (in its class that is) and versatility.

I like the interior very much, and the stereo system is quite impressive.
My Civic's interior is quite plain... nothing extraordinary, but very comfortable I'd say.

I will go to the dealership to take a look at the Fit later, but wondering what you guys would say about this comparison.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:32 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
I traded my modified 1999 Civic EX AT for a MT Sport Fit. I would say, if you don't mind the lost in horsepower I'd do it. The Fit does load a lot of fun stuff, but nothing to really hoot and holler for. I got my Fit mainly, because I love hatchbacks and better gas mileage. It can be a good family car, or a modified machine. The choice is yours. They're both good cars.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Someone that Posts too much
I traded in my Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart (sport tuned suspension, 162hp and 162 lb/ft from the factory) for the Fit

In terms of fun to drive, the fit is good

-joe

Old 04-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Wow! A Ralliart??

I guess the Fit is that good, then!

I'm still thinking very hard... Because I might get my mom's Mazda 3... Even then, I kinda want Fit... better mileage and cool and cute looks. :cool:

Thanks for all the opinions, guys!

Old 04-28-2006, 12:46 AM
you have to consider that the car is half the size and half the power as the Ralliart.. but lighter car drives like a go cart

-joe

Old 05-01-2006, 11:57 AM
in all these topics, i still take the cake when it comes to downgrading.

selling my 2003 Evolution VIII for a Fit. 276hp to 109hp and i couldnt be more excited.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:05 PM
How does the Fit compare with the Civic in real world mileage on the automatic.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Dang, atlas!
From LanEvo from Fit?:eek:

That is HUGE downgrade!
But I'm glad that you're excited to get Fit!

My Civics gets around 30MPG average. That's driving quite aggressive, and not mainly driving on freeways.

But if I do drive all freeway, it's like 38MPG or so.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
atlas, i thought u had a rsx-s???

i have an rsx. my gf is getting the fit. i test drove it with her, and boy do i want one myself. fun lil car.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by pokems23
I traded my modified 1999 Civic EX AT for a MT Sport Fit. I would say, if you don't mind the lost in horsepower I'd do it.
Is the loss of hp that bad? The Fit has Vtec, and it's way faster than my soon to be sold 115hp auto civic 96. My bro has a hatchback 5 speed 110hp civic DX 97, and it's a sloth compared to the Fit, which also has the same hp and weighs the same if not more.
Originally Posted by Andrew
How does the Fit compare with the Civic in real world mileage on the automatic.
Before I got my fit, i have been keeping an excel sheet of all the mileages of my 96 auto. It got 26-28mpg. My bro's manual gets about 33, around the fit. I think the fit is bvetter cuz its faster and i think it can get a little more than 33.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:07 PM
i feel my Fit is about as fast as the lancer in normal driving, but when push comes to shove, the Lancer's displacement can't be beat

-joe

Old 05-02-2006, 12:32 AM
The only real noticable difference I feel from my fit and my former Integra GSR as far as performance is the vulgar displays of horsepower. The Fit I will give props for in have a sort of nimble gripping the corners fun to toss around driving fun. It's not weighed down heavily in the front like my Integra was and also does not suffer from any sort of noticible understear. In fact I have been pushing the car a little more each day (the thing is still brand new unscratched and freshly insured). I like straightawys alright but I live for the corners so I take the winding backroads and blind corner highways everywhere I go and to tell you the truth this thing handles corners like what I would consider to be blatantly ignoring the laws of physics in an Integra. I hope that helps to some up how I like the handling. Though keeping in mind Integra's are straightaway cars like Eclipses' they can corner some but short rapid bursts of speed are what they were designed for. The Fit seems to be alost designed for Inner city traffic navigation and down hill and mountain cruising without creating brake fade and tire wear as quickly with the lower weight and tossability factors in the mix. I'll stop rambling now :D

Old 05-02-2006, 01:16 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
^wat up htowner.

i wonder if theres HFP sport suspension coming out for the Fit. i'd sure buy it for my gf.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by Import_Dealer
The only real noticable difference I feel from my fit and my former Integra GSR as far as performance is the vulgar displays of horsepower. The Fit I will give props for in have a sort of nimble gripping the corners fun to toss around driving fun. It's not weighed down heavily in the front like my Integra was and also does not suffer from any sort of noticible understear. In fact I have been pushing the car a little more each day (the thing is still brand new unscratched and freshly insured). I like straightawys alright but I live for the corners so I take the winding backroads and blind corner highways everywhere I go and to tell you the truth this thing handles corners like what I would consider to be blatantly ignoring the laws of physics in an Integra. I hope that helps to some up how I like the handling. Though keeping in mind Integra's are straightaway cars like Eclipses' they can corner some but short rapid bursts of speed are what they were designed for. The Fit seems to be alost designed for Inner city traffic navigation and down hill and mountain cruising without creating brake fade and tire wear as quickly with the lower weight and tossability factors in the mix. I'll stop rambling now :D
I feel the same way about the Fit. When I took it out for my first test drive, I was sold on the spot. the quick steering and lack of understeer was a key factor

-joe

Old 05-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
yup! after test driving the Fit. i was sold on it. handling is superb, and the Caliber's wasnt bad either surprisingly. but Fit looks better :D

Old 05-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
atlas, i thought u had a rsx-s???

i have an rsx. my gf is getting the fit. i test drove it with her, and boy do i want one myself. fun lil car.
no... i sold my RSX-S to get my evo.