Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Saturn Astra (Opel, Vauxhall, Holden, Chevvy)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Saturn Astra (Opel, Vauxhall, Holden, Chevvy)

So Saturn will soon start importing the Belgian-built Opel Astra. Considering the total bomb their last rebadged Opel was, I can't see why (although my uncle had one and it was really nice) but apparently GM wants Saturn to be its low-end European brand in America now. I don't get GM - they sell a rebadged Subaru and Chevvy at Saab (but got rid of hatchbacks), European cars at Saturn and boring cars everywhere.
There doesn't seem to be a sedan version of the current Astra, so I'm guessing the Saturn will be a hatch. Kinda like a toned-down Caliber, it will start at $16K

Old 05-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Master FitFreaker
not bad my dad used to own a opel while back in france

Old 05-11-2006, 01:38 PM
pic of the car dosnt look too bad, give the mazad3 something to compete with.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Retired Moderator
BTW thats not the Astra, thats the Vauxhall Zafira...same thing though, since Vauxhall's are rebadged Opel's...or is it the other way around? BAH! Either way, I think this is a step in the right direction for Saturn and GM. At least European cars are 10x better than American ones. In England, there is a line called the Vauxhall VXR's which is like the performance oriented models of all of their cars. Hopefully they will bring those over as well and badge them as the Red Lines. Quick, peppy, and fast cars that handle quite well...I think they are bringing in the Vectra too...

Old 05-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Yep - it is a Vauxhall but yeah Vauxhall is same as Opel. Kinda reminds me of a Dodge Caliber without the AMC treatment.

Old 05-14-2006, 05:08 AM
Astra VXR

* 2.0 16v Turbo
* 240 BHP
* 0-60 6.2 seconds
* Top Speed 152mph
* 18" VXR Wheels
* Centre Rear Exhaust Outlet
* Unique Exterior Styling Kit
* Recaro Sports Seats (Part Leather)

Old 05-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Don't agree that European cars are "10 x better than American ones". Consumer reports does not either. Actually, all European models are horrible in reliability (Mercedes, BMW, etc). So get off your high horse.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Master FitFreaker
Originally Posted by dave2343ee
Astra VXR

* 2.0 16v Turbo
* 240 BHP
* 0-60 6.2 seconds
* Top Speed 152mph
* 18" VXR Wheels
* Centre Rear Exhaust Outlet
* Unique Exterior Styling Kit
* Recaro Sports Seats (Part Leather)

damn that is hot droollllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Old 05-15-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by FitDaddy
pic of the car dosnt look too bad, give the mazad3 something to compete with.
It looks more like a Kia Rio. :p

Old 08-23-2007, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Here are a couple of articles from Edmunds.com regarding the Astra. The Astra will hit the U.S. in November and will be available as a 3-door and 5-door hatchback. Enjoy.

First Drive: 2007 Opel Astra

2008 Saturn Astra

Old 08-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by hiroko12
Don't agree that European cars are "10 x better than American ones". Consumer reports does not either. Actually, all European models are horrible in reliability (Mercedes, BMW, etc). So get off your high horse.
Right, we get BS cars like the shitty Chevy Optra/Aveo or Ford Taurus/Fusion...you think they are better than the Astra, Mondeo, S-Max, etc? Please, get off YOUR high horse and look at what they have over there compared to the POS that they offer here. I don't think they make reliable products anywhere in the world and that was not the point I was getting at. Chevy was smart enough to bring over their European cars and sell them under their US brand names like the Saturn Aura. It even won the AJAC COTY after they got rid of the stupid Ion and replaced it with the Aura. I saw so many new Chevy cars going back for repair when I worked at a GM dealership for a summer job, it was disgusting. So before you start mouthing me off about the quality and reliability, take a really good look at how shitty their cars are here.

OR

Another comparison:

Old 08-23-2007, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
This car is a Vauxhall Astra. The Zafria is the MPV (mini-van?) version. Interesting that this has cropped up as here in England, the Jazz/Fit and Astra don't compete in the same market.

Vauxhall and Opel used to be run by GM as seperate companies producing different cars. But in the last 30 years or so, the two have been merged and Vauxhall's are really just rebadged Opel's these days. Presumably, it's a way to convince buyers the cars are 'British'. Even in the Republic of Ireland and Cyprus (both right-hand drive markets), the cars are sold as Opel and not Vauxhall. The upshot though is that we get the Holden-designed and built Vauxhall VXR 8- the rest of Europe don't get this high performance sedan as Holden doesn't produce a left-hand drive version (please correct me if that's wrong). I think there was never an Opel version of the old Holden/Vauxhall Monaro coupe either, even though I understand this car was sold in LHD form as a Pontiac GTO in the states.

Anyway, the Vauxhall brand should be dropped, badge the cars as Opel and use Holden for the VXR versions of Astra, Vectra, etc. I may have suggested GM use the Chevrolet brand, but since 2004 this has been used on all former Daewoo models. Ironic that GM's budget Korean brand has a more desirable brand then it's mainstream offering!

Last edited by terryb; 08-23-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Retired Moderator
I agree, Vauxhall was simply kept alive to sell the British brand in England. I would prefer to see Opel take the forefront and Holden taking all of the performance cars. My bad on the Astra/Zafira, but I swear I saw a different picture haha. Anyways, like you said the new Holden VXR8 looks like a beast! It is the underpinnings of the new Chevrolet Impala. I would say the VXR8 will turn out to be the Chevy Impala SS. Chevy is moving in the same direction as they did with the Monaro/GTO.

Honestly, Chevy should just drop Vauxhall AND Saturn and either put it under their own brand name or conglomerate them into one like Opel.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
GM cars are boring!!!! check out the new caddy cts tho, look pretty sharp, we just got them in our yard.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Retired Moderator
Yeah they look pretty badass IMO. I think GM is heading in the right direction...Ford on the other hand...they are committing suicide in North America...

Old 08-23-2007, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
Yeah they look pretty badass IMO. I think GM is heading in the right direction...Ford on the other hand...they are committing suicide in North America...

yea pretty much. but we still got the problem of over pricing the vehicles. we're getting in tons of new models, we get the new camaro in before the end of this year

Old 08-23-2007, 05:23 PM
Retired Moderator
You think you got pricing problems, you should see the prices up here! I cross checked a top of the line Audi A4 with Quattro and 3.2L engine...used the proper exchange rate at the time, and it came in $10,000.00+ cheaper in the states than in Canada...all I can say is my next car is gonna be bought south of the border :)

BTW, how much will the Camaro be?

Old 08-23-2007, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
wow thats alot. but not sure on an accurate pricing yet??? wont find out until maybe 2 or 3 months after we get them in. they'll b showroom only till then