Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Yaris test (with some Fit comparison)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Yaris test (with some Fit comparison)

http://www.mercurynews.com:80/mld/me...e/14618298.htm you may have to register to read it, but here is a bit of the review:

snip

But, in the oddly named Yaris, Toyota has created a car with none of the pizazz of the Scion, none of the studied coolness of the Mini Cooper, and none of the fun-to-drive attitude of the new Honda Fit.
The nautical blue Yaris sedan that we tested met my expectations, but didn't exceed them. And even the top-line S model, with a few extra lower-body panels and an optional ($435) rear spoiler, failed to pack much of a visual punch. And it offered nothing in the way of design cues or gadgets that would make an owner think he or she was driving something special.

snip

Horsepower is rated at 106. Honda's Fit only makes 109, but it feels more gutsy on the road.

snip

This is the type of a car in a type of segment where one or two neat features can make or break a model. For Scion, it was the odd shape of the xB and its innovative use of interior lighting. For the Mini Cooper, it was everything about its exterior and interior design and even its two-tone paint scheme and roof-color options.

On the new Honda Fit, which I like a lot, it's the clever way the seats can be configured, the blue glow of its instruments and all of its standard safety features.

The Yaris, at least the sedan version, is a sedate, predictable offering from a top-notch automaker that seemed to be promising more. And it delivers less.