Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Streetglow... played out or still hot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by Contrabida Face
so uhhhh........ that vehicle on your avatar....... is that yours? i'm just wondering.
Nope. I put that up there when I joined months ago.
Originally Posted by 2Legit2Fit
I agree, some pretty harsh feedback for such a simple question...

Pretty lame that you guys can't be mature and just give an honest opinion without trying to sound cool. Sarcasm doesn't earn you rep points, so stop trying so hard...

But thanks to everyone else that offered a serious response. I've enjoyed reading your posts. I actually sent back the Street Glow kit and I have some white LEDs on the way. Pics will be posted soon.
I'm not being sarcastic. Underglow is rice. People into cars, and even those who aren't into cars, will laugh at you.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Fishstix
Nope. I put that up there when I joined months ago.

I'm not being sarcastic. Underglow is rice. People into cars, and even those who aren't into cars, will laugh at you.

I'm pretty sure people who will laugh at you will only laugh if you do have a ricer type car (ex: a piece of crap honda with a fart can exhaust, 5 different colors on it, a body kit that is still primered, huge gay spoiler, etc). Everyone at my high school and even my work loved my neon and I had it on my Honda Pilot. And trust me if it looked gay they would have said because they tried to talk me out of putting it on but when I did they said they were glad I did. Plus it doesnt matter what other people think. You don't buy a car because group a thinks its cool and so you wanna make them think your cool, you buy a car because you like it. Also you do stuff to your car that you like not what other people like. If they laugh let them laugh, i'm sure you can laugh at something they have on their car that you think is gay. Plus most people laugh but deep down they are jealous.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Like I said before a properly installed under body lighting kit will look stellar. I have owned both old school neon and LED kits. The LED kits are far superior as well compared to traditional neon tubes which were glass. Most of the good LED kits are well over 100 LEDs for a 4pc kit. My kit on my CRX was I think around 166 LEDs for the 4pc kit and there were no hotspots or focused areas of light. My CRX was not lowered but they do sit fairly low to the ground and I never experienced the hotspot effect. Again if done right under body lighting can look very good, and really accent a cars looks at night.

As for the Rice commentary, the old saying Beauty is in the eye of the beholder applies here. If you don't like it cool don't do it to your car, but if the owner likes it THAT is what counts. And one last saying that applies here, if you don't have something nice to say, keep your mouth shut.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Fit4Spl
And one last saying that applies here, if you don't have something nice to say, keep your mouth shut.
I would hope people can take criticism.

The OP can do what he wants, but many people see underglow as a ricer mod regardless of whether the car has a body kit and other ostentatious modifications.

I used to have a Honda and I joined here months ago because I was looking into getting a Fit for a DD/winter beater. Putting underglow on your Honda is +1 to the typical Honda stereotype. Do as you wish though.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Puddle Lights!!

Old 06-25-2010, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
The same could be said about adding a Wing/Altezza's/Muffler to a Toyota/Nissan/Mitsu/(insert any car here). There are many facets of add ons that not everyone likes however that doesn't mean it's "RICE". I really wish people who used the term would do some research and see where the term came from, was originally created for before just jumping on an internet bandwagon of name calling.

Stereotyping is a choice, it's not something that just happens. You and others have a choice to call or define something as a stereotype, as well you have the same choice not to. Stereotyping is mostly if not always negative and really isn't necessary nor warranted especially when someone is just asking for an opinion. And we all also know what opinions are like _____________ we all have one just some smell worse than others.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:20 PM
I know where the term came from. Japan was dumping cheap Toyotas into the American car market in the 1980's and that led to a lot of domestic angst against Japanese imports.

I'm surprised neon glow is so popular amongst Fit owners. The Civic forum I'm on hates underglow more than lambo doors. Si's are at least performance oriented, so maybe that's why. The Fit is what it is, so perhaps the owners invest in sound systems and neon glow rather than trying to make it fast.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
I know where the term came from. Japan was dumping cheap Toyotas into the American car market in the 1980's and that led to a lot of domestic angst against Japanese imports.

I'm surprised neon glow is so popular amongst Fit owners. The Civic forum I'm on hates underglow more than lambo doors. Si's are at least performance oriented, so maybe that's why. The Fit is what it is, so perhaps the owners invest in sound systems and neon glow rather than trying to make it fast.
Some try to make their fit quick. Some try to make it handle like a ferrari and some try to make it look good.

Let's get this straight, we are not a civic forum. We support any mod anyone wants to do we give our opinions but we dont bash people because they like other things.

I mean come on I can say so much about that guys boso pipes butttttt.. i say nothing. If you like your civic forum more and how they hate on underglow. Go start an underglow thread on their site.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Banned

I'm going to agree with this guy

Underbody lights are gay.

Idk why more people don't voice their true opinion, this is an internet forum, Idk about everyone else, I don't care what people think about me the chances of meeting 99% of the members are zilch

Old 06-25-2010, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
There is a difference between stating that you don't like under body lighting (opinion) VS saying that anyone who puts under body lighting on their Fit is a "RICER" (stereotype).

And btw, his definition of where the term "Rice" came from is incorrect. It stems from when the first Japanese motorcycles were coming into the USA and American motorcyclists defined the term to be derogatory against buyers of those motorcycles. This was before everything was made in japan/china etc when it wasn't cool or accepted to buy things that were not made in the USA.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
..........I don't care what people think about me the chances of meeting 99% of the members are zilch
I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE......

hahaha, j/k.

but seriously, let the man do his thing. it's his fucking car. it's his fucking money. excuse my french.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:40 PM
The tuner scene is comprised of a lot of different subgroups.

If you want to be a show car and join the ranks of the cars with lambo doors, sound systems, flat screen tv's, and neon glow then go for it. If that's your style then I can't change you.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Contrabida Face
I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE......

hahaha, j/k.

but seriously, let the man do his thing. it's his fucking car. it's his fucking money. excuse my french.
its my fucking nipple

Old 06-25-2010, 10:20 PM
bad....

but if its something you like, doooo it.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Haha this wasn't supposed to such a personal thread regarding my car. It was more or less just a general question as to how people felt about Street Glow neons or LEDs.

I'm just looking for general opinions, I know its my car and my money, but I'm interested in what everyone else thinks.

(Just don't try and be cool by making fun of it... if you don't like it then just say so.)
Different cars and accessories say different things. They project a different message about the driver. For example, a minivan with a "My student is an honor student at ____" sticker, a Mustang with straight pipes, a pickup with a Calvin peeing on another brand... these all project certain aspects of a driver's personality and preferences.

Neon underbody lights always scream to me "I don't even have the credit to buy a cell phone without a deposit." and "My job pays by the hour, and I have it because it doesn't test for drugs." It's certainly not something that says "I take great care in my automobile."

But that's one dude's opinion.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think that EVER looked good. Just my opinion.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gd3vbp
How can something that was never all that cool be played out?
^^
This

Underbody lighting has never been good. Some groups of people may like it, but most of those people probably like double-decker spoilers, carbon fiber door handles and buy their rims off the "Wall of wheels" at Pep-boys.

If you like it, that's your thing. But if you already like it, then why are you asking? Just do it.

Open any mainstream auto-tuning magazine. Super Street, Honda Tuning, Import Tuner, whatever...You'd be hard-pressed to find a featured car with underbody lighting. Not saying that you're trying to get your car featured, but the cars they feature are often the embodiment of the current styles/trends. And most of them are show-cars...which are the only type of car that can be excused for having underbody lighting anyway....and they still don't have them.

Is it coincidence? Or is it just that the idea of it is silly to most people?

Old 06-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Fit4Spl
And one last saying that applies here, if you don't have something nice to say, keep your mouth shut.
Oh, STFU with this shit already. Its the internet, if you don't like my not nice things to say don't read the post, or don't take it to heart. If something looks stupid I'm going to let the person know, why not give them a chance to say oh shit this is ugly, then fix it.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
If you have a vision for what your car is to be then do it without any regrets.

Cat :x

Old 06-27-2010, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
I'm thinking about picking up a Street Glow undercar neon kit in red for my CBP '10 GE8. Think it would look good or is neon played out?
If the reality of whether this is still popular or not is a deciding factor for you...just pass.

Make decisions based on whether YOU want it, not whether it's still popular or other people are going to like it.

Now I'm going to install my Rumble Seat, and Bulb Horn...leave me alone.

Quick Reply: Streetglow... played out or still hot?