Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Accident: 2007 Versa S (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Accident: 2007 Versa S (with pics)

So I got woken up at 6 this morning, by a call from one of my best female friends.

I could barely understand her. The only words I could make out were "car accident" and "come get me"

She sent me her location on Google Latitude (Android Phones FTW), because she said it about 3 or 4 times and I couldn't understand her between her crying and police sirens in the background.

I get there and luckily she is ok, the other guy is ok. His truck has a small dent and a flat tire. Her Versa didn't fare as well.

Paramedics came for her just because she was limping and couldn't catch her breath, the airbag dust had irritated her respiratory system.

She was driving straight and the other guy was driving the opposite direction and turned left in front of her, she t-boned him going 35-40 mph. It was his fault.

Her driver front airbag went off, as well as her passenger side torso airbag. So 2 airbags deployed.

Radiator was completely destroyed and front axle appears broken.

X-rays revealed no major injuries, just bruising on her wrists (she was beeping the horn as the airbag deployed, OUCH!!!) and bruises on her face where the airbag had pushed her glasses into her nose. Also typical seatbelt bruises on the torso/tummy area. She also hit her knee on the dashboard, which left a bruise the size of a CD directly on her kneecap.

She should hear from the insurance company monday or tuesday. Initial inspection at the body shop gave an estimate of $4600 for body, airbags, and engine repairs. Its still unknown if there is extensive frame damage.

KBB is $11,000, she bought it for $8000. If its totaled, I think its gonna be REALLY close. I hope for her sake it is tho.

She paid cash for her car and because of that, only has liability insurance. LUCKILY the other guy has insurance! (It seems more and more assholes don't)

Any opinions?

She bought it 1 year ago last week.

Pics were taken with my new HTC EVO with an 8 MP camera. I think they look pretty good. I just wish I had something happier to take a picture of...

Last edited by andre181; 07-23-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
They did total it.

My friend is now the proud owner of a 1998 Toyota Avalon that only has 56,000 miles. She got it for 4500 dollars. Considering how old it is, it is REALLY nice!

She is also talking to a personal injury lawyer/ambulance chaser about suing the guy that hit her.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andre181
She is also talking to a personal injury lawyer/ambulance chaser about suing the guy that hit her.
For what? I thought she just had bruises. Shouldn't the guy's insurance cover the medical expenses and that be that?

Old 08-14-2010, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baylorbro
For what? I thought she just had bruises. Shouldn't the guy's insurance cover the medical expenses and that be that?
I asked her the same thing. She thinks that she should be compensated for the 5 days she had a rental car, 3 days of missed work, and about $1000 for pain and suffering. I personally think that it is not totally unreasonable, but the pain and suffering is BS IMO, $250 maybe, but $1000 is excessive.

So she and the lawyer are talking about suing for $1500-2000. I told her for such a small amount, she doesn't need a lawyer.

Last year my mom and dad were in an accident, and were able to settle directly with the other guys insurance company for $17,000 with no lawyers involved (but both my parents sustained some pretty serious injuries in that accident)

Old 08-14-2010, 09:00 AM
That versa did good. I'm glad that your friend is okay.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by andre181
I asked her the same thing. She thinks that she should be compensated for the 5 days she had a rental car, 3 days of missed work, and about $1000 for pain and suffering. I personally think that it is not totally unreasonable, but the pain and suffering is BS IMO, $250 maybe, but $1000 is excessive.

So she and the lawyer are talking about suing for $1500-2000. I told her for such a small amount, she doesn't need a lawyer.

Last year my mom and dad were in an accident, and were able to settle directly with the other guys insurance company for $17,000 with no lawyers involved (but both my parents sustained some pretty serious injuries in that accident)
no you should use a lawyer for that situation. when my brother in law was t-boned, the police rules the accident 50/50 at fault both parties(he made a left turn and each side was 2 lanes, the woman that hit him was speeding through in the last lane but the cars in the other lane had stopped and the light was red so he turned)

one of the passengers in the car knew a lawyer and he negotiated everything with the insurance company and they didn't have to pay anything.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:26 AM
tell her to go to a chiropracter and she gets money out of that too, she might have whiplash

Old 08-14-2010, 11:45 AM
wow thats exactly what happened to me... same air bags even deployed... glad shes okay

Old 08-14-2010, 12:24 PM
I was in a similar accident only I was struck from behind while slowing down so I wouldn't t-bone someone. It was a large SUV and caused my car to rolled end over end and into a ditch. In my case the person at fault (the person who struck me) also had insurance and her insurance covered every expense of mine. Her insurance covered my medical, vehicle compensation, car rental, and paid me a personal compensation for suffering and inconvenience. All of this was negotiated by my insurance.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Ugh...

I actually think given circumstance The Versa did well.
Glad to hear everyone is alright.

Just for the record though, it bothers me when people pigeon hole all lawyers or personal injury lawyers as "ambulance chasers". They are not. Every lawyer and every situation is unique, but lawyers are just people with supposed training and knowledge of the law that help people when they need to utilize or are involved in some aspect of the legal system.

If you are legitimately injured and the opposing party is not willing to pay or dragging their feet, a lawyer is your needed and legitimate "best friend".

I'd hope your girlfriend keeps her claims reasonable and honest. One thing she should do, even if she feels okay, is be checked out fully...medically...sometimes things develop with time.

It's great if she's okay...and greater if she does NOT try to parlay an unfortunate incident into a unwarranted pay day...but the converse is she does want to make sure she is alright.

Lawyers have unfortunately earned a bad reputation, and some are bad. But I hate it when people classify ALL LAWYERS as ambulance chasers or simply greedy opportunists...even Personal Injury Lawyers need a client before they pursue a settlement. And sometimes a person who has suffered in an accident and suddenly finds themself seeking deserved compensation against an opposing Insurance Company needs a lawyer.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
First off glad she's ok from what's been stated. That versa did appear to hold up pretty well, considering.

Originally Posted by fitchet
I'd hope your girlfriend keeps her claims reasonable and honest. One thing she should do, even if she feels okay, is be checked out fully...medically...sometimes things develop with time.
And that I would seriously recommend. She needs to make sure there isn't something that is missed and/or overlooked. The only drawback to this, is it's expensive b/c the tests would be needed to be paid for wouldn't be cheap (MRI, X-rays, etc.) and most settlements will preclude future claims arising from the accident (once settled, always settled).

As someone stated, dependent on how it's worded or what codes are used the police report could state both at fault and that's a whole other cans of worms.

Some insurance claims are easily settled, others aren't. Even if she is ok, I would think she would be entitled to the claims she's making b/c it's reasonable. But if she was to try to talk to the insurance company, she'd be talking to a lawyer and you NEVER want to go into a situation like that w/o having being on an even keel.

At the end of the day at least she's ok. Even if the car didn't make it.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:25 AM
The Versa did hold up pretty well, makes me feel good to drive one!

Glad to hear your friend is okay.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 AM
honking her horn while she hit? maybe she shoulda hit the brakes or perhaps swerve out of the way

Old 09-06-2010, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
So The Versa's airbag is pink?

So the last thing you could see on earth if you are driving a Versa is the ass of a big pink elephant heading straight for your face?

They should customize airbags with images of Jesus, Buddah, or at least topless super models. If your airbags going off, at least it's a bad day, at worst it's your last day, be nice to see something "happy" in those final seconds.