Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Honda Fit vs. Toyota Corolla

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Honda Fit vs. Toyota Corolla

I can get a Toyota Corolla LE (5-speed) for about 1000 dollars less than a Honda Fit Sport (5-speed) at the moment.

Corolla Cons:

No ABS
No Side Airbags
Lose hatchback functionality

Corolla Pros:

Better gas mileage
Debately more "refined"
Might make a better cruiser (a little more power)

Does anyone think the Honda Fit is worth the 1000 dollar difference?

Last edited by Abiding Dude; 06-07-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:01 PM
the corolla does not compare if you are looking at the chassis construction. power is not a problem for the fit if you keep it in the right gear(or buy a few bolt-ons :D). the only reason i would get a corolla is if you were that straped for cash and gass milage was that important. because in the end a fit with some suspension mods can keep up with cars that have twice the hp on mt roads. where as the corolla would not stand a chance( or atleast i have never seen one. (excluding the 86)

Old 06-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Not to push you towards the Corolla, but you can get ABS and side airbags. I have seen that setup for about $15,200 on an LE. I do prefer the hatch on the Fit, but there is something nice about the relaxed cruising of the Corolla and the better mpg.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Remember in Japan, Fit has dethroned Corolla for the best selling car! Although one needs to keep in mind that JDM models are equipped and tuned differently from ours.

The Fit also has Electronic Brake Distribution, Side Curtain Airbags, Drive-by-wire throttle control, Magic Seats, and better handling.

On the Sport trim it adds keyless entry + security system, body kit, alloy wheels, MP3/WMA playback ability, has an audio auxilary input connector, 6-speaker audio system, and paddle shifters (for AT)!

I think the Corolla is a very practical and reliable car, but the Fit adds more fun factor into your daily driving routine. I use to drive a used '92 Camry, I have to say, somehow I feel more energetic after I started driving my Fit!

Last edited by dancingsun; 06-07-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Well I do have a 2005 S2000 I bought last year for fun. I just wanted to get a daily driver for long trips, winter, and for when gas reaches 4 dollars a gallon. :)

Old 06-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Toyota has a $500 factory rebate on the Corolla. Also a local Toyota dealer states they can sell a CE model without power windows for $150 over invoice, for what its worth. I think that would still be over $14000 retail. Don't think there is much real world difference in fuel mileage.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:06 PM
As for the Corolla fuel milleage. I have a 03 and I average 35mpg-38mpg half highway. I don't know the figure for the Fit yet since I still waiting for mine.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:46 AM
The handling is kinda uninspiring. Typical Toyota blandness. But overall a great car like all the Corollas in the past. Pricing wise, the XRS prices itself out of the debate though.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
But the Corolla looks so bland. I'm sure it's a nice car and it's reliability bullet proof, but I think the Fit has a higher fun factor and more versatile.

Old 06-11-2006, 12:45 AM
The Toyota Corolla is a great deal. If you don't need the practicality of the Fit's hatch design, then it would be a good choice. I wouldn't pay more for the Fit if I didn't want the versatility of the 5-door hatchback design.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:37 AM
Kinda wonder why you haven't thought about a Kia or Suzuki or even something cheaper, if PRICE is such a factor......And then there is the GREELY from china at less than $10,ooo.....maybe a a used Yugo.......

GWD

Old 06-11-2006, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
It is your call. I got what I wanted. Toyota makes a damm good car and they where on my list as a possiblity. A person that buys toyota is a smart person. I like the features of the fit so thats what I choice. I have 00 buyers remorse for spending more money on the Fit.

Old 06-11-2006, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
The hatchback would make the difference to me. The practicality of the Fit will complement that S2000. It's much more versatile than the Corolla.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Someone that Posts too much
I have no doubt that if you test drive both you'll end up with the Fit.

Old 06-11-2006, 04:03 PM
I need to add one more "con" to the Corolla:

No alloy wheels

I took a look at a Corolla today. It had the wheels and ABS and would have ended up more expensive than the Fit. I really liked the fit and finish of the Corolla, although the gear shift seemed kind of sloppy.

The Honda dealership, which is right next door to the Toyota one, had no Fits in stock to test-drive and I was told that there is a 3 to 4 week waiting period on new Fits. I was offered the opportunity to put a deposit down on a Fit so I could reserve it and have the pleasure of being sold it at MSRP, but I politely declined.

I think the Honda dealerships are deluding themselves to think that the Fit is a hot car simply because allocations have been cut back and gas prices are high. This automobile segment is way too competitive. I would rather buy a Corolla or Mazda 3 than put up with any "adjusted market prices" or needless dealer-installed add-ons.

Old 06-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Abiding Dude
I would rather buy a Corolla or Mazda 3 than put up with any "adjusted market prices" or needless dealer-installed add-ons.
There are at least three dealerships around us that offered it at MSRP, and they won't offer any extras if you don't want them.

The Corolla is a good, reliable car... just not as fun as the Fit for me. :)

Old 06-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by Abiding Dude
I need to add one more "con" to the Corolla:

No alloy wheels

I took a look at a Corolla today. It had the wheels and ABS and would have ended up more expensive than the Fit. I really liked the fit and finish of the Corolla, although the gear shift seemed kind of sloppy.

The Honda dealership, which is right next door to the Toyota one, had no Fits in stock to test-drive and I was told that there is a 3 to 4 week waiting period on new Fits. I was offered the opportunity to put a deposit down on a Fit so I could reserve it and have the pleasure of being sold it at MSRP, but I politely declined.

I think the Honda dealerships are deluding themselves to think that the Fit is a hot car simply because allocations have been cut back and gas prices are high. This automobile segment is way too competitive. I would rather buy a Corolla or Mazda 3 than put up with any "adjusted market prices" or needless dealer-installed add-ons.
They did say at msrp right? I know what you mean about "HOT", right now the supply can't keep up with the demand.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:19 AM
The corolla is nice and functional and all, but I need a hatchback. If you're considering one , be sure to drive it first, as I thought it has a pretty funky seating position. I was considering the Matrix initially (which is essentially a corolla hatchback), and the whole seating arrangement felt pretty weird to me, especially the position of the shift lever (wayy to far fwd). Plus the handling was nowhere near as fun as the fit - I felt like I was driving a minivan.

But it's a toyota, so it will run without problems, last a long time, and have a high resale value. Not a bad thing. But you could say the say the same about Honda

Old 06-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Keeping in mind that getting a Base Corolla is a downgrade compared to the Fit in terms of safety and features, the Corolla is most definitely a great car in terms of practicality and economy.

But for a little bit more money, you get all the safety features along with the luxuries. Not to mention the great car behind it.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still get the Fit. Even if the Corolla was available as a hatchback.

Oh wait, the Corolla is available as a "hatchback". It's called the Matrix. ;)

Old 06-12-2006, 09:08 PM
I test drove a 2006 Corolla LE today. The only options on it were the 6-CD changer (with 6 speakers) and floor mats. I was really impressed by how refined the ride was. It felt like a mini-Camry for sure. I was also surprised at the decent acceleration it had, even with the A/C on. The one thing I really didn't like was the shifter; it had so much play in it and was so totally floppy. But the car is smooth as butter for sure.

I will probably get the Corolla. The difference in price between the Corolla and Fit (which is being offered at MSRP and no less) is a little over 1500 bucks. That ain't chump change :)

One last note: I wanted to add one more "Pro" for the Corolla. It has a dead-pedal :D

Last edited by Abiding Dude; 06-12-2006 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Honda Fit vs. Toyota Corolla