Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Sales hurting for CR-Z, Crosstour & Insight

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
Sales hurting for CR-Z, Crosstour & Insight

Honda has hit rough water with sales of its new CR-Z, Accord Crosstour and Insight models According to Automotive News, the three models are underperforming in a big way.

Take the Insight hybrid, which is falling 40,000 units short of even the most conservative estimates inside the company. Outsold 8-to-1 by its Toyota Prius rival, Honda has only managed to shift 19,325 units through November – the company originally targeted sales of 60,000 to 80,000.

Likewise, thus far this year, Honda has sold nearly 20,000 fewer Crosstour models than its biggest competitor – the Toyota Venza, selling just 25,927 units compared to the Toyota's 43,325. Need we remind you, Honda's original sales goal for the Crosstour was 40,000 units per year, a number we were deeply skeptical of after first driving the vehicle at its launch last November.

Although it hasn't been on the market that long, early sales for Honda's new CR-Z hybrid coupe aren't any more encouraging. Automotive News reports that Honda had conservatively intended to sell around 15,000 of the two-seat hybrids per year, but so far, only 4,373 have made their way off of dealer lots and another 3,000 are currently sitting in inventory. Thankfully, there is one bright spot in the Honda stable – the 2011 Odyssey. The minivan bowed in September, and it's performing well against a minivan segment that has heated up with a range of new competitors.

Automotive News suggests that the problem boils down to a change in Honda's image from a company with compelling products to one that plays it safe. Throw in styling that isn't for everyone and aging (but still selling) models like the CR-V and Accord, and you've got a recipe for decreased market share.

Honda, meanwhile, says that it doesn't focus on market share because that leads to bad habits (read: incentives), instead opting to focus on percentage-increases in vehicles sold. That's a fair strategy, but slow sales of key new models suggest that Honda needs to do some soul-searching. Might we suggest getting back to its roots as an engineering-driven car company?
Via autoblog

Old 12-06-2010, 09:37 PM
I saw a Crosstour in person the other day, it is butt ugly IMO

Last edited by TurboManGT; 12-07-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 AM
I'd take a CR-Z if I could get into one for what I'm paying on my Fit, I love everything about the CR-Z and when you see one on the road, its really sharp IMO and that interior, oh that interior!

The Insight doesn't get the mileage of the Prius and the Crosstour, well, doesn't appeal to everyone out there but IMO the interior does, its really sharp, the outside though.....hmmm.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Yeah but Honda played it smart with the CR-Z. I talked with the owner of a Honda dealership and he said Honda is only making AT MOST 18,000 CR-Z's a year. This is to keep the value high and not make it a common car you see everywhere like the civics and such. I know the dealer I got my car from (which if your in Houston or the surrounding area go to John Eagle, they are the best I promise) said that one guy came in wanting to buy a CR-Z and walked out with 3 of them! Not sure why you would need 3 of them but hey if you can afford it, go for it. But they have been selling them like crazy. I can never seem to find one on their lot to test drive. But then again they are playing it smart too. They know they aren't gonna sell hundreds of those and so they order only 3 to 4 at a time to keep the demand high.

But back to Honda....

You gotta remember this car hasn't been out for a while. I am sure many people are just wondering how good it is. I mean I bet when the civic first came out it didn't have a high number of sales, but look at it now, you can't drive 1 mile without seeing a civic. They just gotta give it some time. I bet in a year or two you will start to see the number of CR-Z's on the road increase quite a bit

Old 12-07-2010, 10:01 AM
The insight looks exactly like a Prius. People notice stuff like that. Why buy the Prius copy when you can go across the street and get the real deal?

Zach

Old 12-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but Insight was first hybrid introduced and not the Prius...

Old 12-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Nope the Prius was the first in 1997. The Insight in 1999.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:45 PM
^^ on my phone atm... ty for clarification

as for the CT... some find it ugly, almost all on the internet hates the look and cargo space. Very stereo typical way of looking at it, I say. They're trying to look for the SUV in the crosstour... They're trying to look for the minivan in it... heck they're looking for that soccer mom in the crosstour...
Guess what... you can't find it. Why hate the CT for not being like the typical? Why hate for the CT for being different?
Hate the CT for not catering the soccer moms? Go ahead... pick a Venza (a typical minivan/suv)

I'll keep my ugly goofy looking manly crossover which is a cross betwen an suv and a sportback/hatchback (IMO)... atleast I'm not looking like a hyped up soccer mom van...

Sorry for the rant outburst... It just irrates me (pointing at other forums that I am on)
:D :D :D

att 3g sux

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 12-07-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
^^ on my phone atm... ty for clarification

as for the CT... some find it ugly, almost all on the internet hates the look and cargo space. Very stereo typical way of looking at it, I say. They're trying to look for the SUV in the crosstour... They're trying to look for the minivan in it... heck they're looking for that soccer mom in the crosstour...
Guess what... you can't find it. Why hate the CT for not being like the typical? Why hate for the CT for being different?
Hate the CT for not catering the soccer moms? Go ahead... pick a Venza (a typical minivan/suv)

I'll keep my ugly goofy looking manly crossover which is a cross betwen an suv and a sportback/hatchback (IMO)... atleast I'm not likey a hyped up soccer mom van...

Sorry for the rant outburst... It just irrates me (pointing at other forums that I am on)
:D :D :D
Doesn't matter how refined your taste is, or what you think about other peoples' tastes. What matters is that it's not selling.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:51 PM
wake up call... honda is not selling not just the CT

Old 12-07-2010, 01:53 PM
and it's not about my taste...

Old 12-07-2010, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
wake up call... honda is not selling not just the CT
You're right, they're selling accords and civics at a pedestrian pace, and that's about it.

The Fit is easily the best car on the market in it's class, yet most people haven't even heard of it. They think it's a civic hatch or something.

I think Honda could be in a win win situation if they were to allow for optional upgrades on the fit. Right now, they have no interest in selling lots of fits --- the margin is so small. However, if they were to really market the fit and were able to get more margin off of real, additional upgrades, I think they'd have a real winner.

That's just my opinion of course.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:04 PM
It's good to see that the US market is slowly embracing b-segment cars... the US norm of being bigger is better is a tough chain to break but it's getting there...

Old 12-07-2010, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
I like the CR-Z, Crosstour and Insight. If I had the money, I'd buy all 3.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
I like the CR-Z if it wouldn't be a hybrid. The Crosstour is ugly, that's MHO. And Insight just doesn't do it for me.

Last edited by B-Blue; 12-07-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hummm... let's see. all 3 are ugly cars, slow, over priced, and performance unimpressive.

why would they not sell? they need to fire the designers and redo.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
You should see what is in store for the CR-Z... they might be bring back the Type R.

But well see...
Honda plans gasoline engine for the CR-Z