Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2010 Crosstour... DEAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
I'm wondering why it wouldn't even crank when it was a valve. That doesn't make any sense.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by D50boy
I'm wondering why it wouldn't even crank when it was a valve. That doesn't make any sense.
Well according to this post he didn't actually have a valve train related issue

Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
I was on my way to the dealer around 4pm as I left some keys in the crosstour. As I was on my way, phone rings and it was the dealer head mechanic... they still can't get the engine to turn... crank wont turn and said it's mechanical and internal and is at the bottom part of the engine he added. I then told him about the conversation we had about the LMSpring recall on the Fits and how symptom turned out to be exactly as the recall notice described. He still did not tell me that it was that but I'm 90% sure it is. When I arrived at the dealer, I showed him the FIT recall thread and the picture I posted of the Lost Motion Spring https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post964464. He kept his silence and went on to entertain my point (as any responsible and informed mechanic should) and proceeded to look into picture as I pointed on the spring. Still without agreeing or confirming what specifically the problem was... he told me to don't worry as the needed part should be here Wednesday and all should be fine.

Got no qualms with the tech and would actually commend him on how he handled himself, the situation and my already freaked out self.

So... what are your thoughts?

this is what I showed to the tech:

The mechanic was intimating that TEO's issues in the Crosstour are with the bottom end or rotating assembly... but to answer your question..

A valve issue, in the case of the affected Fits.. the spring can cause the rocker, the cam and the valve to jam in place keeping the starter from cranking the engine.

Which is why the one Fit that did turn up with a broken (as opposed to just bent) Lost Motion Spring that failed during operation on the rocker assembly completely ate that #3 cylinder section of the camshaft because the valvetrain siezed which cost him all 16 valves, camshaft and 4 pistons, so ultimately a whole new longblock was swapped in.

That is how a mere valve can throw a figurative wrench into the works and keep the engine from starting.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-03-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 PM
This is frustrating for the 2nd time I'll give them another chance to make this thing run right. I still am feeling vibrations when it's about to change gear and and in gear 1st to 3rd is where it's most felt and from a standing stop. With this vibration is a groaning sound. One selling point is how quiet the crosstour is and now it's getting to be real frustrating. There was an improvement from the first time the returned the car but that's about it, an improvement. I need this thing fixed and run as it should.

What should i do? Who should I call? I'm ready to pop a fuse which I'm trying not to.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Call Honda USA, if it was a bottom end engine issue, and it is still not resolved after it sounds like you need basically a new short block. And you can bet they (the dealer) doesn't want to have to eat a 6-8k engine.

But they should. It is a brand new car. I would also demand they tell me exactly what the issue was.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Hey EvilOne,
Im sure there are plenty of us who feel your pain. It sucks to have car problems, especially motor related ones.

I had a similar instance to yours in my 1996 V6 Audi several years ago. I was driving down a road at a normal pace (not WOT or anything like that) and suddenly the engine cut and the CEL came on. I tried starting her and no luck, no crank noise. The electrics all worked, just a big exclamation on the OBC.

It had to get towed to the dealership. After a couple days I got the car back and was told the timing belt snapped causing the valves to run into the piston heads. Luckily for me only two valves were damaged and not any pistons. The mechanics found and replaced the two damaged valves and gave me a new timing belt.

The car ran fine afterwards. I was just pissed off that this happened right after the 100,000 km (60,000) mile service warranty expired. Needless to say that was the last time I took it to the Audi garage.

The techs should have found a broken belt on your car though. Are the valves even operated by belt or are they driven by chain. My car only had 12 valves and didn't have any fancy variable valve timing systems either, making it easier to diagnose and solve.

Unfortunately with OBD systems, electric faults are often well diagnosed but anything mechanical goes unseen until something major happens.

If worse comes to worse look at a section of your owner's manual for your state's lemon laws and contact Honda as Diamond suggests. Be very polite and explain everything extremely clearly to them and they will make things happen. Even if you have to take your car to another Honda dealership.

Good luck
and may the force be with you.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:20 PM
I still say take it up to MotorWerks in Barrington. They are great up there. Call ahead and let them know the situation. Let me know if you want to and I'll see if my buddy up there can do anything for you.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:43 PM
^^ thanks Cowboy_Fit, maybe if you could give him the link to this thread it would be great.

anyway, here's what's done... still having the same grinding, vibrating and groaning sound :/

:(

Old 03-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Uh.. they made you re-use the front cylinder head?

That's kind f*cked up.

They should've given you a new long block redressed with you original accessories from the get go in a car this new.

I feel they were going to bother to re-use parts why didn't they just re-bore it .20" or .40" over, put some new slugs and bearings in and call it a day?

Old 03-09-2011, 11:58 PM
you guys just can't imagine how my headache is for this particular problem... it's just so frustrating. I'm so ready to just ship the car and drop it off in front of Honda corporate office/building.